Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys
I am a little confused here.. I got a call from the dealer to see if I wanted to get my 12,000 service.
my car is an 08 CS it has 12500 miles I bought it 6 months ago when it had 8k miles and dealer told me they did brake flush, oil change and alignment..

I am using the car on weekends for hwy rides maybe 200 miles .. I was thinking waiting for the year for my next oil change as I don't think I would hit the miles for the next service..
what would you guys recommend if anything as I don't want to go and just spend money for something it doesnt need..

thanks all

·
Premium Member
1,614 Posts
If the car had an oil change when you purchased it, I would wait at least 1 year.

Short trips, when the engine does not come to operating temperature for a while, can be very hard on the oil; Moisture does not have the oportunity to evaporate. If you put more than 10 or 20 miles at a time I would not be concerned.

If you are mechanically inclined, the articles section has an article on how to change oils, and many other maintenance items.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If the car had an oil change when you purchased it, I would wait at least 1 year.

Short trips, when the engine does not come to operating temperature for a while, can be very hard on the oil; Moisture does not have the oportunity to evaporate. If you put more than 10 or 20 miles at a time I would not be concerned.
so it is ok if at least gets more then 30 miles ea on friday and saturday to get the moisture out?

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I would think that 30 miles should get your oil up to temperature.

On the dealer call for the oil change. If you car is just hitting the 12 month mark from it's original in service date that may be the reason for the call.

·
Premium Member
1,614 Posts
I will tell you what I do. You might not agree with it, but here it goes.

Note 1: I track my car. I change my oil every 5,000 miles. If I did not track my car, I would use 1 year or 10k to 12k miles.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will tell you what I do. You might not agree with it, but here it goes.

Note 1: I track my car. I change my oil every 5,000 miles. If I did not track my car, I would use 1 year or 10k to 12k miles.
thanks, I think the 2nd option is what I was thinking

1 - 7 of 7 Posts