Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Black '07 sportchrono CS, 26K mi, softronic ECU flash and Borla exhaust (about 320 hp), short shift, a blast to drive, needs nothing - but a friend will part with his 993, 73K mi but meticulously maintained, for a bit less than what I could get for the Cayman - do I do it? From a pure driving and practicality standpoint, I think I'd be crazy to give up the Cayman!!
But the 993 is the Cat's Meow of 911s in my opinion. So, someone, please, talk me back into my senses!! :crazy:

·
Premium Member
837 Posts
I think it would depend on how you use these cars. The 993 is basically a vintage car, 1993-1998. So if you were going to keep it in the garage most of the time, and you are fine with that, why not? And judging by the miles on your 2007 CS, I suppose that is the case.

But if you drive your Porsche frequently, then I sure wouldn't make the trade. I had a colleague offer to sell me his older 911, he rarely drove it. I wasn't interested. I use my Cayman as a daily driver, a commuting weapon, I have fun with it nearly every day. I am trading it in for a new one, I don't want to have to worry about things braking on it as the miles add up.

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
Keep the CS and get the 993 as an investment!

Reactions: Boiler Inspector

·
Registered
377 Posts
that is a tough one. My Porsche mechanic warned me that all the guys that know Porsche Aircooled are either already retired or going to retire. All the guys he used to work with at the dealership know nothing about that era. The watercooled from 996 to current should be maintainable for decades to come.

The cayman is superior in looks, handling, reliabily (actually maybe not if you track it), and efficiancy, but you can't put a price on the last of the aircooled 911, the very best one. The original 911's form the 60's are actually terrible cars for all but a collector if you watch the NY City Car Club special on all the 911's.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
The 993, it's a no brainer for me, the 993 is the last of the air cooled 911, it's going up in value. The Cayman has IMS issues that is overblown and will continue to go down in value, keep it for a few years and you can get two 07' Caymans.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I had a 1996 993 C4S that was my daily companion for 6 years. Great car. Cayman S is better to drive, IMO. Stiffer, more responsive. The 993 is definitely more valuable, so it's a no-brainer financially. You could probably flip the 993 in a year and get yourself a used 981S. Now that's some smart horse trading!

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
The 96 thru 98 993's have their issues too. Valve guides wear out and won't pass emissions. This requires splitting the case to repair if I remember it' about a 12k repair job.

Cman21

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I appreciate the feedback - much as I love the iconic 993, I am looking for a car to drive and the Cayman makes more sense - I can push it hard and not worry about it - and it is frankly a superior performance machine. If I win the lottery I'll invest in the 993! Thanks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts