Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious - I'll be getting my first set of R-comps (Nitto NT01) here in a few days. Has anyone noticed accelerated paint damage behind the front rocker panel and rear bumper due to the extra sticky tires throwing road debris up onto the paint?

I'm thinking about buying some red masking tape to protect these areas during driving events and track days. It's cheap insurance, but I'm wondering whether it's even necessary.

What do you guys think? Any firsthand experience here?

·
Registered
346 Posts
I have the Nitto NT-01 and about to purchase my 3rd set in less than a year. If. You are going all in...don't worry about the chips. I purchased my car as a GT (cruising mobile) and decided I wanted to track it afterwards. It goes with the territory. Will tape help?... Maybe but drive it the way you feel suits your needs. I found that I wasn't happy unles I was able to drive it hard. No other reason in my mind to have a Porsche unless you can DRiVE it

Reactions: Oldblade and Rickyb

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can drive the car hard with or without tape on the rear bumper. Those two factors are really unrelated.

The cost of the masking tape is really trivial compared to the cost of getting a body panel repainted, which is why I ask about it.

Do you find accelerated paint damage due to the NT01s?

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I don't think NT01s are any different than say RS3s, AD08s. The most track related damage I'm seeing is the front of the car including windscreen, fenders, hood, bumper.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Ok I'll answer more specifically to the tire. The NT-01 are like any other R-comp. They get very sticky with temperature and scrubbed rubber. The compound will grab more debris and throw it out as higher centrifugal forces exceed adhesion of the foreign material therefore I can say with experience that R-Comp tires will have more debris thrown at your fenders than street tires. The worst damage occurs on the rear sections by the way.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Yes, probably worth it to throw on a few strips of tape. I've found the NO-RESIDUE stuff works well and is removed very easily...not sure if you can find it in red though.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
The most track related damage I'm seeing is the front of the car including windscreen, fenders, hood, bumper.
From my racing and track day experience on motorcycles, I can vouch for this. It's not your own sticky tires chucking gravel at your own car- it's the sticky tires of the vehicle ahead of you, peppering your vehicle with rocks. The front of your car will look like someone loaded up a shotgun with birdshot and went at the front of your car from the 25 yard line.

Reactions: DFW and ElusiveDH

·
Premium Member
744 Posts
If you are serious about tracking I would recommend wrapping your car, had that done with my Cayman R. Full front bumper, hood, front fender, full doors 1/2 of the rear quarter panels and part of the rear bumper.

Wheels/tires that are further out than stock will increase the amount of particles that will impact the side of your car.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I would absolutely recommend a wrap. something more permanent is needed for the track. your paint will get RUINED if you hover (or chase) behind someone just ahead.

Its not cheap...but...might be worth it (Full front is what i would get)

I don't think the R compounds will fling many rocks into your rocker panels unless you spend a lot of time off the racing line where all the debris is.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys. I actually have a full front wrap of Xpel ultimate, so I should be set there.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I have clear bra on front of the car and a little on the hips. I have run NT01 for the past 3 years. I have not noticed any issues. The clear bra does its job.

·
Registered
865 Posts
If I ever replace my windshield, which looks like its been in a sandstorm due to tracking, I will be installing protective film on it. Its not your sticky tires but all of the other debris kicked up by others.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I did the sills and the area around the air intakes with Xpel and that has worked well, along with the front hood and bumper.
I thought the rear might get some damage but stopped doing it after first year and haven't noticed any chips behind the rear wheels; I'm running NT01 tires.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I
I don't think the R compounds will fling many rocks into your rocker panels unless you spend a lot of time off the racing line where all the debris is.
Depends on track. It may not be you going off line, but somebody may have dropped a wheel and kick up rocks, etc that your wheels will pick up.

As already said cover the front wheel arches/rockers and the rear's if you car. My race car had very little paint left on the front wheel arches.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Depends on track. It may not be you going off line, but somebody may have dropped a wheel and kick up rocks, etc that your wheels will pick up.

As already said cover the front wheel arches/rockers and the rear's if you car. My race car had very little paint left on the front wheel arches.
Fecal matter occurs.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Yes, probably worth it to throw on a few strips of tape. I've found the NO-RESIDUE stuff works well and is removed very easily...not sure if you can find it in red though.
I use www.trakktape.com ... a bit pricey, but tape my CS behind front and rear wheels... plus the rockers, nose, and headlights. That I addition to full clear bra. Yes, I tape the clear bra too, since hot rubber seems to chemically bound to the clear bra, which require something like PF1 to remove it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts