Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

Which do use the most?

• Only look at the Digital

Votes: 219 90.9%
  • Only look at the Analog

Votes: 7 2.9%
  • Both equally

Votes: 8 3.3%
  • What's a speedo? I don't need no stinkin' speedo.

Votes: 7 2.9%
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a fun, silly and pointless topic.

It's an odd thing to have 2 different speedo's in a car but I understand it wouldn't look fluid without the 3rd semi-oval in the display but I NEVER use the analog speedo as digital is easier and in a better spot.

I do LOVE that the tach is dead center. It's the first time I've had a car where I use the tach so much.

·
Super Moderator
6,027 Posts
Same as you - digital 100% of the time.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Always the digital speedo - the analogue requires too much brain to work out the speed!!
Better to put a picture in there of "my precious"! :)

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
digital - the analog speedo is wasted space, Porsche should have placed an oil temp & pressure instead.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
digital - the analog speedo is wasted space, Porsche should have placed an oil temp & pressure instead.
There you go. Good call.

Even some indicators like gears, open hatches or doors, etc. etc. Enough room to put a lot of things in there.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Just a fun, silly and pointless topic.

It's an odd thing to have 2 different speedo's in a car but I understand it wouldn't look fluid without the 3rd semi-oval in the display but I NEVER use the analog speedo as digital is easier and in a better spot.

I do LOVE that the tach is dead center. It's the first time I've had a car where I use the tach so much.
Agreed. Never use the other as the markings on it are not useful when driving to UK speed limits.

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Since everyone looks primarily at the digital, why not replace the analog gauge with a dual gauge that reads oil pressure and oil temp...... oh now we wouldn't want to do something as logical as that. Seriously in some markets there may be a requirement that an analog "speedo" be present.

·
Premium Member
464 Posts
I'd never had a digital speedo before, so during my test drives I naturally looked at the analoge; but now it's digital 100%.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Always digital because it is closer to the tacho.

Waiting for Porsche to figure out how to project the tacho, speedo and nav system onto the windshield as a halogram. I believe BMW now does this.

·
Registered
465 Posts
The analog speedometer is so compressed the resolution makes it useless. The width of the needle makes your reading +- 5mph. Digital all the time.

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
+1

And the original price guide for the 2009 (Gen II's) CLAIMED they would have gauges for oil temp & pressure. One reason I waited for the 2009.

·
Borlafide member of Northeast Group
789 Posts
oh wait wait....stop the presses...stop the presses...our cars have not one but two speedometers...and all this time I thought the analog speedometer was my heartrate - seems logical because the faster I go the higher the my heartrate - especially being chased by the cops.....learn something new all the time...

·
Enjoying the drive.
1,265 Posts
There is an analog speedo? J/K. I RARELY look at it. If it wasn't there, I wouldn't miss it.

·
Premium Member
2,519 Posts
+1 on that.

I've looked at the analog from time to time out of curiosity but the scale doesn't lend itself to easy reading. This from a guy who typically prefer analog readouts because they don't require actual reading to know where they're at.

I for one would hate a tach that simply read numbers like the digital speedo.

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
I only look at the analogue to wonder what the designers were thinking by sticking it in a small corner where it is near undecipherable.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Adding yet another +1

·
Registered
518 Posts
Ditto, never use the analogue one.

In the new Panamera they have done something very cool. One of the dials is a colour screen which can show various things, including the sat nav map. This would be a much better use of the space.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts