Votes: 92 47.2%
  • A Porsche

Votes: 103 52.8%
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a little question I'm curious about. When people ask you what you drive do you say "A Porsche" or do you say "A Cayman"

Reason I ask is I noticed that people that drive the less expensive models within a brand usually mention the brand, whereas people that drive one of the top end models within a brand say the model instead.

For instance when you ask an M3 owner what he drives he usually says, "An M3" rather than "A BMW" whereas if you ask a base 3 series owner what he drives he'll more likely say "A BMW"

Just a little theory I have. I'm betting most of us say Porsche first when asked.

Carry on. ;)

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
I say Porsche because most people don't know what a Cayman is.
I say Cayman if I think they know.
I think the answer will have a lot to do with the way the question is asked. If some one ask me what do you drive? My first answer would a Toyota. That what I drive every day (daily driver) If someone ask what's your fun weekend car then the answer is a Cayman S.

·
Middle-Aged Porsche Punk
997 Posts
I say Porsche. If I say Cayman, they ask how I like my SUV.....:confused: No such confusion about Boxsters, but I think enough people think of them as Porsches that there is no argument.

On the other hand, I think the Cayenne and Panamera (if nothing else, because they have 4 doors) stray off the Porsche reservation far enough that those need to be differentiated from other Porsches.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Yes, P987 and engnr1 I agree. It depends who is asking. Most people I work with don't know a Cayman from a Cayanne. When I told people at work I was replacing my 356 with a Cayman, they ask if my garage was big enough!
I'm a Porsche driver; when people ask me what I drive and I say a 356 they don't have a clue.

·
On Probation
582 Posts
i cut out the middle man...i tellum a VW

·
Premium Member
3,810 Posts
I guess it depends on the context, and who I'm talking to - if it is a "car guy," or someone familiar with Porsches, I'll just say a Cayman . . . otherwise I usually say Porsche Cayman.

·
Boxster Enthusiast
1,765 Posts
My first response is "I drive a little sports car". Then I'll say a Porsche Boxster if they ask what kind. Your average person is usually clueless about the different Porsche models.

·
Registered
463 Posts
HAWC I think your arguement is totally flawed. If someone asks a BMW 7 Series owner what they drive I'm sure they're not saying "a 7 Series" and leaving it at that and yet the 7 Series is as high up the BMW ladder as you can get. They're probably saying a BMW and then maybe adding 7 Series. By company its a BMW first. Why would you assume the requestor is asking for a model designation when asking what you drive? The reason the 911 owner would say a 911 is because its an icon, its been around in the same basic configuartion for 40 years. There are probably few people in the civilized world that wouldn't see a 911 and know its a Porsche or know what you were talking about simply by saying 911. Similarly the M3 is the icon of the 3 series line and has been around in one form or other for over 20 years I believe. Many people would immediately know you were referring to a BMW and that you were probably an enthusiast. There are probably 10 other 3 series models in the line-up that are the bread and butter of the company and when last I heard the "3 series line" in total was like the 7th highest car in volume sales in the US. Those people all drive BMW's that happen to be 3 series cars. Why wouldn't their first reaction be to say a BMW? The Cayman and Boxster have just been around 5-10 years or so, so by name they might not be as well known. Similarly I doubt a Panamera owner is saying they own a Panamera even though its near the top of the Porsche chain because who would know what that was? I believe what you were suggesting in your query was that owners of lesser model cars within the brand are less proud of what they drive by model and therefore refer to the brand PORSCHE to impress instead. You said in your last sentence "many of US say Porsche". I'm assuming YOU are included in US? Would you like to tell us all why YOU say Porsche and get something off your chest?

·
Enjoying the drive.
1,265 Posts
Depends on who I am talking to and what we are talking about. If they don't know much about cars, I will say Porsche. If they are a car person, I say Cayman.

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Is someone asks, they don't know. If they don't know, Cayman means nothing. So I just say its sort of a poor man's Porsche ;)

·
Registered
882 Posts
I say Porsche because most people don't know what a Cayman is.
I say Cayman if I think they know.
I agree. I most often say "Porsche" as most people don't know what a Cayman is. Yet among a group of Porsche owners, I immediately say "Cayman S" and usually get some smiles and someone says "Sweet ride." Then the technical discussions about how it feels on the track begins.

FWIW, this afternoon after riding back on I-64 from the Colonial Parkway (Yorktown - Williamsburg - Jamestown), I saw a flash and the passenger in an Infinit sedan was taking pictures of the Black Pearl. Beautiful day, high around 53 degrees and clear. Wonderful day and wonderful car. Ed,

·
Registered
257 Posts
Cayman. I even removed the dealer issued rear license plate frame with PORSCHE written on it.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I say Porsche.....2 people at work thought that the Cayman was like the Cayenne!

·
Premium Member
3,495 Posts
Just a little question I'm curious about. When people ask you what you drive do you say "A Porsche" or do you say "A Cayman"

Reason I ask is I noticed that people that drive the less expensive models within a brand usually mention the brand, whereas people that drive one of the top end models within a brand say the model instead.

For instance when you ask an M3 owner what he drives he usually says, "An M3" rather than "A BMW" whereas if you ask a base 3 series owner what he drives he'll more likely say "A BMW"

Just a little theory I have. I'm betting most of us say Porsche first when asked.

Carry on. ;)
Hawc:

Contrary to your theory. I used to own a 911 and I won't have another one. The engine is in the wrong place, if you ask me. I prefer the Cayman to the 911. Additionally, I feel a little silly paying what new Caymans or 911s cost. I bought my car used in perfect condition at the very depth (I hope) of this country's financial despair. I shopped and bought when the car and the price was right. I'm proud to have such an amazing car at the price of a sort of normal car.

What I call my car when someone asks is. " '06 Porsche Cayman S". Invariably, they think it's an expensive SUV. You can't win.

No matter. I love this car! :cheers:

1 - 20 of 60 Posts