Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 490 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This may seem like an odd question, but I often wonder this myself.

(I'd like to note I've seen something similar discussed on Porsche forums before relating to the workplace, and how some people got downright negative reactions)

First, let's get the elephant in the room out of the way: Porsches, even older less valuable ones, are viewed by most people as status symbols and luxury goods.

The old adage "don't worry about what others think" may be applicable, but not always.

As car enthusiasts we want to share our passion and car - but I've had some negative experiences in the past with both family members and friends either making snide remarks about the car or questioning if one needs such a seemingly useless type of car. (Little do they know what motoring pleasures await!)

The second group is work - I always rather keep that separate. It seems people may assume you've hit the jackpot (yeah right!) and may interact with you differently when it comes to finances, especially if you have some power over them.

So for my recent Boxster - I decided to keep it private, literally just my wife and I know about it amongst my friends/family.

And we're talking about a car here used that doesn't cost too much more than a loaded new Honda Accord.

And I feel it has worked out much better. I'd love to tell a few select people, but you know how that goes- soon everyone knows, so I restricted it.

Is it right? I'm not sure. When I see someone with a great car- I am super excited for them and want to share in it and be happy. But not everyone is like that, especially in our rat race world where a lot of people can get caught in financial woes.

I'm going to be slightly controversial here and suggest that something as unnecessary and enjoyable as a sports car can make some uncomfortable and reflect back on their own shortcomings, or perhaps this is too harsh.

Deep Porsche psychology here! I hope you guys enlighten me and contribute to this subject.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I find that people who truly know me don't care much about it... But it is the people who do not know me that well and find out make the remarks or give the looks.

I purchased my 07 BS for myself in 2009 as a 31st birthday present for myself and at the time was just a hair under $40k. Sounds like a lot for a "pleasure" car for a 31 year old in the corporate rat race.... Yes, I agree, and it is a complete waist of money, but it makes me happy and that is that. Now it is paid off, costs me about $1000/year between maintenance and insurance to keep it on the road and I have no intentions of upgrading or changing to a different car as it still makes me happy.

As I stated, those who know me and know how frugal I am with most of my expenses know how I was able to afford this luxury at the time, being frugal, not needing the latest techology or wardrobe, and just me and the wife and dogs, no kids (this one helps a lot!). Those who don't know me, who go out for drinks after work and spend $50 on a bar tab and think nothing of it, who are spending $100's monthly to keep up with the latest fashions, and have $200/month cell phone bills in my same job couldn't understand how I could afford it so I get the comments and looks from them. Even now, with the car now 6 years old, still get that look from people at work who see or find out for the first time.

Everyone has thier thing that makes them happy, cars or other hobbies/vices. Life is about doing what makes you happy and don't worry about what others who don't share your interest think about it. I am sure they spend way too much money on something that makes them happy that you can't understand as well. The trick is finding out what that something is so you can throw it back at them when they make comments to you!

·
Registered
66 Posts
This may seem like an odd question, but I often wonder this myself.

(I'd like to note I've seen something similar discussed on Porsche forums before relating to the workplace, and how some people got downright negative reactions)

First, let's get the elephant in the room out of the way: Porsches, even older less valuable ones, are viewed by most people as status symbols and luxury goods.

The old adage "don't worry about what others think" may be applicable, but not always.

As car enthusiasts we want to share our passion and car - but I've had some negative experiences in the past with both family members and friends either making snide remarks about the car or questioning if one needs such a seemingly useless type of car. (Little do they know what motoring pleasures await!)

The second group is work - I always rather keep that separate. It seems people may assume you've hit the jackpot (yeah right!) and may interact with you differently when it comes to finances, especially if you have some power over them.

So for my recent Boxster - I decided to keep it private, literally just my wife and I know about it amongst my friends/family.

And we're talking about a car here used that doesn't cost too much more than a loaded new Honda Accord.

And I feel it has worked out much better. I'd love to tell a few select people, but you know how that goes- soon everyone knows, so I restricted it.

Is it right? I'm not sure. When I see someone with a great car- I am super excited for them and want to share in it and be happy. But not everyone is like that, especially in our rat race world where a lot of people can get caught in financial woes.

I'm going to be slightly controversial here and suggest that something as unnecessary and enjoyable as a sports car can make some uncomfortable and reflect back on their own shortcomings, or perhaps this is too harsh.

Deep Porsche psychology here! I hope you guys enlighten me and contribute to this subject.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ask yourself why you bought the car and how you use it? Understanding your reasons could help you answer the question you posed.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Good question.
Porsche ownership acknowledgement is on a need to know basis. My Cayman S was CPO, but I've seen folk react to the news as if I dropped $100K+:crazy:
Pretty much this^

I generally only ever bring it up if people ask me about what I drive specifically. Mentioning I drive a Porsche inevitably leads to a long discussion about how I bought it for less than a new BRZ, and even then people sometimes think I'm hiding wealth from them or something of the sort.

That said, I'm comfortable talking about the car if they ask I just wouldn't ever drop the Porsche bomb out of nowhere as I don't want to deal with explaining how/why I got it if I don't have to.

·
Premium Member
5,836 Posts
Good question.
Porsche ownership acknowledgement is on a need to know basis. My Cayman S was CPO, but I've seen folk react to the news as if I dropped $100K+:crazy:
I was coming out of Lowe's one day when I saw a mother and a little boy standing beside my car. He was telling his mom all about the car. I heard him say, "And they cost a million dollars." ;)

Other than on this forum :gossip: I generally don't advertise the fact that I have a Porsche. People do think that they are expensive. They imagine a figure that is far out of proportion to the actual value of the car. I have friends who spend more on golf than I spend on my car. (I don't play golf. My car is my hobby.) Besides, some of my friends who play golf think nothing of throwing their clubs into the back of a $64,000 Chevy Tahoe. :eek:

About the only time I speak to strangers about my car is at a service station when I stop for gas. People often walk up to me and ask about the car. They're polite and interested. I'm glad to talk. :cheers:

·
Registered
4,711 Posts
I obviously don't really need to deal with these issues just yet, but over the past year or so I've been slowly dropping the news to various people I interact with that I'm saving up for an expensive sports car and that I'm really excited about it.

So... my closer friends already know, but they also know how I'm doing it and other than being utterly sick of hearing me talk about it, for the most part I think they're happy for me.

Family.. I've just started dropping a few comments here and there so it's not a completely surprise when it shows up.

Coworkers... well... my boss knows I'm saving for a sports car. I think some of my coworkers might as well. I've had a Boxster as my desktop background for over a year now and people often ask if it's mine. I tell them that hopefully it will be in the future but for now it's just a dream.

I figure that when the time comes, there's just no way to keep it under wraps. Everyone will know. So building up to it for a couple years will mean nobody thinks I've won a lottery or am suddenly wealthy or something. People will know how long I've been saving.

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,105 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
First, I am glad I am not the only one to have this question.

Second, I have wanted a Porsche all of my life. I am getting a CPO CS in March and considered driving my 11 year old truck to work as to not draw unwanted attention. I have driven my Dodge since starting with this company.

You and I know that a well priced, purchased CPO CS is less than a minivan with the kids entertainment package.

After reading all of your experiences I have decided to take the comments and questions as they come, even if it means showing them the window sticker as proof of my "cost per smile."

COME ON MARCH...

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Hmmm,

I have been driving Porsches to work for 23 years.

Everyone that knows me and their friends, and their dogs, know I drive a Porsche.

Its never been an issue for me, in fact it has opened up a couple of doors in the past career wise.

:cheers:

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
People constantly make comments. They are not performance minded. Cars are either just transportation or are status symbols to 90+% . I just shrug and tell them I could buy a fairly plain Porsche for less than an Audi TTRS or a Nice Mustang. :crazy: (and it is fast :) )

·
Registered
153 Posts
I live in a small, rural town. When I go to the bank, I say "Hi, Karen" to the branch manager. When I go to the Post Office, I say "Good morning, Tom. What's your daughter doing this summer?" I talk to the owner of the hardware store about making birch syrup, his favorite thing. Oh, yeah, the town magistrate lives across the road from us, on a lot my brother-in-law sold him. If I get a serious ticket, I hope it's in his jurisdiction (I think). He's also the undertaker….

You get the picture. There are no secrets in this town.

But I did make the mistake of telling a friend, the chairman of a regional fund-raising organization, that I was about to buy a Porsche. He said "Looks like we should be expecting more from you." He wasn't wrong - count that as a hidden cost of indulging in a fast car.

·
Registered
4 Posts
If people ask then I tell them, I have been in PORSCHE ownership since 1987 to 2006 and then back last year. To be honest it is their problem if they have issues. Drive it every day come rain, shine (not much in the UK) or snow and really dont give a ............. what people think, my money my choice :)

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I was surprised at the reactions I got, from neighbors I'd lived around for years, when I brought my 10 year old Boxster home. I didn't have to say anything for them to think I'd spent a lot of money on it because a majority of the people who have made comments about it don't seem to know one Porsche from another they think all Porsches are expensive. I'm retired so I don't have to deal with workplace issues but I still don't tell others what I own, or why, because it is not a requirement to live a life that one chooses.:cheers:

·
Registered
692 Posts
I dont walk around braging about owning a Porsche. But its no secret among those that know me. When I first bought the Cayman I took it to work. I wasnt going to say anything, but within 15 min of being at work another car guy came up to me and asked if I saw the cool red car out in the lot. For the next 30 min people were staring out the window and going aout and looking at it and asking if it was mine. I was embarrased. Now a lot of people seem to think Im some rich guy shlepping in the office for some reason. hahaha.

My brother in law was actualy pissed at me for buying the Cayman. He got over it. But apparently it triggered some issue with his childhood and his dad spending money on himself and not taking care of family. His wife reminded him that I pay my bills and put both kids through college.

One thing is certain. Porsche cars are little understood by most people. And they bring with them a lot of preconcieved notions about those that drive them. I dont worry about it. I think literaly keeping it a secret is a bit extreme.

·
Vendor
6,504 Posts
People at work know I drive Porsche. Can't hide it. Never had any negative reaction. But they I'm not sure if many of them know what it is... Where I live you don't see much Porsches.

Do I mention I driver Porsche first thing in the conversation with strangers? :) No. I might mention it if during conversation only if it turns out the other guy is a sports cars/racing buff.

·
Registered
79 Posts
If I am meeting someone typically the only time someone ask what kind of car I have, I tell them a bright red VW beetle. The usually get a kick out of when they figure out its me. There are a lot of Porsche's around me so they are not out of the ordinary.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I enjoy talking about the car with fellow car enthusiasts I happen to meet while out and about, but I don't go out of my way to tell people, and avoid bringing it up unless asked directly about what I drive. I do drive it to work, but I work in the city and my car sits anonymously in a parking garage with loads of other cars--so most of my co-workers don't know I have it. Family? I'm lucky in that regard. Most of my family are very well-adjusted people and don't care if I have a Porsche or a Honda as long as it's my money I'm spending. In my experience most people can't tell a GT3 or a Turbo S from a Boxster, all Porsches are 911s and they all cost some nebulously large amount of money. I don't tell others how to spend their money, but TV and i-gadgets don't make me happy, so I don't pay for cable and I don't have the latest iteration of the coolest smartphone. I love driving, so I have a Porsche. But it is difficult to talk to others about prioritizing their finances without sounding self-righteous or like a pompous &%$. So I try not to bring that up and just say I got a good deal on the car.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Ya I keep it to myself at work. I keep it like a dirty little secret habit. But...I don't try to justify why I have one. My wife drives a Lexus and she does and it drives me crazy. I am 43 and tired of trying to make someone else feel good about their bad decisions over and over in life. The reason why I don't broadcast or drive it to my work place is I have this thought that it might effect a raise. Well he doesn't need one he is doing well enough. I should not feel that way either. Society has trained us unfortunately to look at people that "have" as some kind of sin. My Cayman did not cost anymore than a nice pickup truck anyways.;) The Porsche name just brings that out of people.:crazy: Very sad. My friends and I that own nicer cars know these cars inside and out. It is not a status symbol with most owners. Especially guys that spend all their time on this forum. They're guys in the club that own Porsche s and Ferrari s. I'm not jealous I enjoy talking to them to find out how they had the success to be able to obtain their vehicles. :2cents::soapbox:

·
Registered
117 Posts
I'm exactly with you on that... just posted something similar to this yesterday. I don't tell anyone what I drive and try to keep it a secret but it's difficult to do because it is after all my daily driver!!

My family does the same thing with their little snide remarks. With the "You don't need that, what's the purpose, and when will you ever use it to the full potential". I'm not a confrontational person so I give in to what they really want and let them drive it, but after about a week goes buy they start talking again. :(

1 - 20 of 490 Posts