Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

441 - 460 of 488 Posts

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
"Oh, you're getting an SUV?"
Yep. This guy gets it. I don't correct them anymore. Path of least resistance and that.

"Cayenne...the SUV?"

Yea...sure.

"Blarzkdoop bloopety blakkk blurrrrg?"

Sure...*hums some 70s band while walking away*

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Re: How to Deal with Very Curious Strangers

ok, if Porsche offered Corinthian leather (from Newark, if I remember correctly) i would have order the leather vents.

I assume your car is new. IMO, that question is just rude. Frankly, that's none of their business. Who goes up to anyone, friend or not, asking them personal financial questions like: "Dude, how much the watch you wearing cost?" Doesn't that sound just rude? We know how much it costs because just about all of us have the configurators memorized!

Once your older, your opinion might change and I would have no problem telling them, in a professional and nice way, its none of their business. At your age (guessing you are early 20s), I would realize that I am going to get grief from people. Some will be jealous. For many, these are cars earned after working some number of years. For others, they might be something worked up to after a series of different sports cars. And for others, they are sweet 16 birthday gifts. It all depends upon your personal financial situation. In any case, you are likely to get jealousy more than pats on the back.

If I were you I would give the nosy people a link to the configurator Porsche Porsche Car Configurator - Porsche Cars North America and tell them it all depends upon how you spec the car. Every Porsche sports car is individually built to the needs of the customer, custom crafted from fine Corinthian leather (OK wrong advertisement), the finest dyes are used in the various seat colors, and the engines individually built by small teams of expert craftsmen (not too far from reality). Show them this video. Watch the attention to detail as each piece of leather is matched perfectly. See how the stitching is done by a human and not a machine. And how it is hand stretched onto the dash. Bottom line is the final cost depends upon the individualization of the vehicle. A car could be stripped or it could have paint to sample, leather to sample, leather covered fuse boxes, deviated stitching, and a option list cost larger than the base cost of the car.

In this way, they can go figure it out themselves without you actually giving a number.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Slowly working my way through this thread. I have to agree with kcz. Regardless of which car I drive I don't want to get damaged. So I park far away and/or next nice cars. As long as that car is parked normally in the spot the driver is probably thinking the same as me. Those entitled people will literally wait 10 min to get the spot next to the handicapped or even take the handicap spot will not take the time to spite you. But what pee'd me would be the expensive car that angle parks 2 spots.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Here's how a rental conversation with a guy from Enterprise went.

Him: Blah blah blah...car can do this...that...blah blah...how long do you need it for...you mentioned just an evening
Me: Have family visiting town and I just need a car for hauling people from the airport
Him: blah blah lots of room...
Me: Yes, that's the idea
Him: Not a lot of room in your car eh
Me: It'll do groceries
Him: Cayman? Never heard of it...*puzzled face*
Me: VW makes it. A 2 door coupe
Him: Bet it gets great gas mileage though
Me: 18 mpg
Him: Oh yea huh hmmm heh..cool

·
Registered
102 Posts
This is a great thread and I think it should be mandatory reading for new owners to let them know what to expect,

I was surprised by the reactions of some folks to it, when I bought my 2010 BS in 2013 we had 2 brand new BMW 335xi (his and hers) in the driveway and a E36 M3 that the BS was replacing and I had never had any comments or anything but as soon as the Porsche appeared it was different.

I work in an environment were everybody is very successful so we often discuss cars but when with friends or family when asked what I drive unless I'm talking with a car person that know the difference I only tell them about my DD and omit the Porsche and if pressed I only say an older Boxster

·
Registered
4,849 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Pretty much anyone can buy "a" Porsche these day. So when you bring a once unreachable car for many, to a neighborhood with Honda accords and civics, certain amount of snobbery, curiosity and jealousy is to be expected. I would bet that most Boxster/Cayman and even used 911 owners are either middle to upper middle class, so keeping it to yourself, being a modest about it, sometimes makes sense. It shields you from unwanted attention and questioning from your peers.
Something tells me that Ferrari/Lambo guys don't have this problem.

·
Super Moderator
13,807 Posts
Pretty much anyone can buy "a" Porsche these day.
I have to totally disagree with this.

First, many of the cars you see are not bought but leased. Big difference.

Second, the avg car is ~$33K. Average new car price zips 2.6% to $33,560 What is the average Porsche?

Half of all 911s sold when PCNA gave info were Turbos. For 911s from experience, I’ll say $140 today. Just look at inventories or people listing them on RL and the number of Turbos. Go to a PCA event and half the cars are turbos. For 718, wild guess is $80? For Macans, 90% were S cars at $65. If you read the threads, avg yearly 911 income is around $400.

So I guess it depends upon the car. Not everyone cannot afford these cars. Even the base Macans are coming in around high $50s. Just look at dealer inventories. So no, the average person cannot buy one of the cheapest Porsches sold

There also seems to be the impression that they couldn’t in the past. Lets check. The MSRP of a mid-1980s 911 was about $35. Adjust that for inflation and you get ~$79K. In fact, the price of 911s are WAY over this price. How about the “entry level cars”. Same time from the price was ~$22. That’s ~$50 today. Not quite as bad but not good either. Bottom line is todays 911s are FAR more expensive that 30 years ago and no, pretty much the average person cannot afford them. Remember, you can't go by an enthusiasts forum. That is a fraction of real life.

Now do people reach for them and buy when they they really afford them? Sure. With 1.5% loans, they pay you to buy a car. Wait until interest rates go back to normal. And they lease them. They drive what they can't really afford to buy. It happens.

I do not believe that "most" 911 owners are middle class. Some, sure, but not most. I’ve mentioned before there is a TON of money out there. People buy FOUR 911 in one year. They return them to get a new color. They buy GT4s for their kids 16[SUP]th[/SUP] bday. They do PTS on $210 TTS cars and walk because they don’t like the color in person (seen this happen). There is a LOT of money out there, probably region dependent. Middle class? What is middle class, anyway? - CNNMoney no more than around $140. That is not 911 demographics per PAG. Its not even Boxster demographics which in 2001 was $210.

Money can be spent on vacations, housing, boats, golf, all kinds of stuff. Just because someone has a Honda doesn’t mean they are not in the 1% or 3%. It only means their priorities are different than auto enthusiasts.

Now I do agree if the neighbors all drive Hondas and you have a $160 Turbo, then yeah, better to be quiet. But what you don't know is their priorities and they haven't told you about the $50/year college bills and the $20 vacations and the $200 boat.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I have to totally disagree with this.

First, many of the cars you see are not bought but leased. Big difference.

Second, the avg car is ~$33K. Average new car price zips 2.6% to $33,560 What is the average Porsche?

Half of all 911s sold when PCNA gave info were Turbos. For 911s from experience, I’ll say $140 today. Just look at inventories or people listing them on RL and the number of Turbos. Go to a PCA event and half the cars are turbos. For 718, wild guess is $80? For Macans, 90% were S cars at $65. If you read the threads, avg yearly 911 income is around $400.

So I guess it depends upon the car. Not everyone cannot afford these cars. Even the base Macans are coming in around high $50s. Just look at dealer inventories. So no, the average person cannot buy one of the cheapest Porsches sold

There also seems to be the impression that they couldn’t in the past. Lets check. The MSRP of a mid-1980s 911 was about $35. Adjust that for inflation and you get ~$79K. In fact, the price of 911s are WAY over this price. How about the “entry level cars”. Same time from the price was ~$22. That’s ~$50 today. Not quite as bad but not good either. Bottom line is todays 911s are FAR more expensive that 30 years ago and no, pretty much the average person cannot afford them. Remember, you can't go by an enthusiasts forum. That is a fraction of real life.

Now do people reach for them and buy when they they really afford them? Sure. With 1.5% loans, they pay you to buy a car. Wait until interest rates go back to normal. And they lease them. They drive what they can't really afford to buy. It happens.

I do not believe that "most" 911 owners are middle class. Some, sure, but not most. I’ve mentioned before there is a TON of money out there. People buy FOUR 911 in one year. They return them to get a new color. They buy GT4s for their kids 16[SUP]th[/SUP] bday. They do PTS on $210 TTS cars and walk because they don’t like the color in person (seen this happen). There is a LOT of money out there, probably region dependent. Middle class? What is middle class, anyway? - CNNMoney no more than around $140. That is not 911 demographics per PAG. Its not even Boxster demographics which in 2001 was $210.

Money can be spent on vacations, housing, boats, golf, all kinds of stuff. Just because someone has a Honda doesn’t mean they are not in the 1% or 3%. It only means their priorities are different than auto enthusiasts.

Now I do agree if the neighbors all drive Hondas and you have a $160 Turbo, then yeah, better to be quiet. But what you don't know is their priorities and they haven't told you about the $50/year college bills and the $20 vacations and the $200 boat.
Well, when I say "anyone" I don't mean in a literal sense. But Porsche is not an exclusive brand it used to be. Porsche can now be had for anything between 5 thousand to over a million. I am including used one as well. That was my (and op's) whole point. You can buy a used Porsche for less than a price of civic and people will think you're rich.
I am also generalizing when I say middle and upper middle class. Yes people with Honda civics can have million dollars in savings and be in top 1%, but 'generally' they are not.

·
Super Moderator
13,807 Posts
Well, when I say "anyone" I don't mean in a literal sense. But Porsche is not an exclusive brand it used to be. Porsche can now be had for anything between 5 thousand to over a million. I am including used one as well.
I disagree with that. If anything, its FAR more exclusive. Look at the MSRP. In the mid-80s, in 2016 dollars, a new 911 should be $80K max. Its FAR more than that. They avg around $130 - $140 and they sell MANY more than they did then. 10,000 sold in US in 2015. 5,700 911 coupes were produced worldwide in 1985 (add cabrios and targas but the number will be less than 10,000 for the US).

In other words, although far more expensive, maybe because of safety devices, than back then, they sell FAR more.

Its MUCH more exclusive in price.

And used cars. You don't think that 30 years ago you couldn't find a $1,000 Porsche? They weren't collectible then. They were current. Of course you could. Its no different. They about gave away 914/4s and 924s in the used market not to mention 912s.

I'm sorry but I believe the brand is far more exclusive than decades ago. They were much more affordable using equivalent dollars. And you could buy a used Porsche for the price of a VW bug.

Now I do agree people have no clue as to what they are looking at. They see any porsche sports car, any year, and Hollywood tells them its a $150 911 Turbo. They all look alike to them.

People with Honda civics can have million dollars in savings and be in top 1%, but 'generally' they are not.
I see people living in $500/$600 houses all the time in cheap hatches or cheap Honda CUVs. They don't care about cars. They spend money elsewhere. It depends upon your priority. SO they see your car and think its a waste of money when you could be buying bonds/stocks/ a third house, rental units, or whatever is important to them.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I disagree with that. If anything, its FAR more exclusive. Look at the MSRP. In the mid-80s, in 2016 dollars, a new 911 should be $80K max. Its FAR more than that. They avg around $130 - $140 and they sell MANY more than they did then. 10,000 sold in US in 2015. 5,700 911 coupes were produced worldwide in 1985 (add cabrios and targas but the number will be less than 10,000 for the US).

In other words, although far more expensive, maybe because of safety devices, than back then, they sell FAR more.

Its MUCH more exclusive in price.

And used cars. You don't think that 30 years ago you couldn't find a $1,000 Porsche? They weren't collectible then. They were current. Of course you could. Its no different. They about gave away 914/4s and 924s in the used market not to mention 912s.

I'm sorry but I believe the brand is far more exclusive than decades ago. They were much more affordable using equivalent dollars. And you could buy a used Porsche for the price of a VW bug.

Now I do agree people have no clue as to what they are looking at. They see any porsche sports car, any year, and Hollywood tells them its a $150 911 Turbo. They all look alike to them.

I see people living in $500/$600 houses all the time in cheap hatches or cheap Honda CUVs. They don't care about cars. They spend money elsewhere. It depends upon your priority. SO they see your car and think its a waste of money when you could be buying bonds/stocks/ a third house, rental units, or whatever is important to them.
Well Chows, all cars are more expensive now even accounting for inflation.
Avg car in 1985 was $9,000. Inflation adjusted that's just over $20,000.
You just said the average car is now $33K. That's more than 50% higher.
So Porsches in general are no more expensive now in relative terms than in the mid eighties.
The premise of the OP is correct in that good used Porsches are affordable and can be bought for less than a new Honda Accord.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I'm newly a Porsche 911 owner and don't advertise that I have one. I genuinely try to hide it from my clients, as they will most likely think I'm overcharging them and I have taken my wife's car to meetings before.

My friends know about it and most want updates.

I'm 50 and wanted one since I was 13, and I really don't care what anyone thinks about my having one, as long as it doesn't impact my business.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
13,807 Posts
Well Chows, all cars are more expensive now even accounting for inflation.
Avg car in 1985 was $9,000. Inflation adjusted that's just over $20,000.
You just said the average car is now $33K. That's more than 50% higher.
So Porsches in general are no more expensive now in relative terms than in the mid eighties.
The premise of the OP is correct in that good used Porsches are affordable and can be bought for less than a new Honda Accord.
OK but his point was that Porsche is NOT as exclusive as it used to be. I don't believe that for one second.

I can believe that cars, in general, cost more adjusted inflation, and I'll blame that on federally mandated safety devices.

But the premise of the OP is NOT correct that good used Porsches are affordable anymore today than 30 years ago. In fact, I'll say they are LESS affordable than 30 years ago. In the 1980s, they weren't collecting these cars. Today they about all turn to gold
https://www.hagerty.com/apps/valuationtools/1985-porsche-911-carrera 1985 911

but in 1985, you could get a 1965 911 far far cheaper. Its no different today than then. If anything, it was easier then than today because they were not collectible goldmines as today. They were just 20 year old cars. Sorry, I don't buy the premise that "good used Porsches" are affordable today but not 30 years ago. That makes no sense given the collectability of 911s.

1973RS prices in the last two years have exploded to over $450 in "fair" condition. Forget about good condition. In 2005 they were worth around $100 Porsche 911 2.7 RS values up by nearly 700% in the last 10 years [w/video] - Autoblog

·
Registered
193 Posts
I bought this car for me, not for anyone else or for anyone else's approval. If it comes up, I would tell someone I own a Porsche as quickly as I would a BMW or a Toyota. Why worry about what some douchebag thinks about what kind of car I drive?

·
Registered
460 Posts
I bought this car for me, not for anyone else or for anyone else's approval. If it comes up, I would tell someone I own a Porsche as quickly as I would a BMW or a Toyota. Why worry about what some douchebag thinks about what kind of car I drive?
Well, it can cause unexpected problems. For example, one of our neighbors backed out of helping to pay for a new fence when he saw my car. It's not that I care what he thinks. It's just that life goes a little smoother if I keep it to myself.

·
Premium Member
387 Posts
For example, one of our neighbors backed out of helping to pay for a new fence when he saw my car.
Sometimes you never know how small someone is until something like this happens. I never realized stuff like this happens until I bought my Cayman which is my first Porsche. I was completely blindsided by these kind of negative stories that I have read about on this forum and experienced some myself. I guess part of the reason is I drove a pickup truck for 35 years.

Now I know to keep it to myself. Or as "Sonny Boy" Williamson would say "Keep it to yourself"

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Well, it can cause unexpected problems. For example, one of our neighbors backed out of helping to pay for a new fence when he saw my car. It's not that I care what he thinks. It's just that life goes a little smoother if I keep it to myself.
Is that what it is? lol I thought my neighbor was just cheap. I moved into my house for nearly ten years and the iron fence was in need of some TLC. I asked if he would chip in and he said yes but back out later. The other neighbor said with a loud voice, "WHY! It looks fine they way it is." I end up paying for all of it. Maybe if I own two Hondas it'll be a different story.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Is that what it is? lol I thought my neighbor was just cheap. I moved into my house for nearly ten years and the iron fence was in need of some TLC. I asked if he would chip in and he said yes but back out later. The other neighbor said with a loud voice, "WHY! It looks fine they way it is." I end up paying for all of it. Maybe if I own two Hondas it'll be a different story.
Maybe not. Lots of people (including my neighbor) are just cheap. Doesn't matter whether you have money, they just don't want to spend theirs.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Maybe not. Lots of people (including my neighbor) are just cheap. Doesn't matter whether you have money, they just don't want to spend theirs.
My neighborhood started in the late 90's, most of the houses here range from $350K to $500K max back then, we have a lot of neighbors that's been here since the beginning. Houses here starts at $800K and most exceeds a million now. It's a custom community with 80 houses, I honestly believe a majority of them can't avoid their houses today. I used to think everyone is very rich in my community but now I think the opposite. I think most people are just a few paychecks away from losing their homes. During the recession, over 20 homes in my community got foreclosed. That was quite the shock. I just assume anyone living in the community could buy the house cash. I brought mine foreclosed, got a great deal. So I'm not sure if my neighbor's cheap or I assume they don't have as much as they appear.

441 - 460 of 488 Posts