Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
*** EDIT: I put the wheels on myself ****

I've fit a lot of things in my Cayman, but I haven't tried to fit wheels in yet. I always have to borrow my friend's GTI whenever it's time to take the wheels over to the mechanic to get them swapped for winter. The dealership is only a 10 minute in-town drive from where I live and this is what i was thinking...

If I leave the hatch wide open, I wonder if I could put one wheel on top of the engine (where the netting is) and then put two more wheels standing up besides each other in the back trunk and one wheel in the passenger seat.

Do you think it'll work? Anyone tried it? I can leave the hatch open because the trip is so short and I'm only driving about 5 km to the dealership.

Hmmm......

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I don't know if you can fit four wheels in the Cayman, but why not swap them yourself and avoid all of the trouble. I am assuming you have a winter set with tires already mounted. All you need is a decent floor jack now.

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
I don't know if you can fit four wheels in the Cayman, but why not swap them yourself and avoid all of the trouble. I am assuming you have a winter set with tires already mounted. All you need is a decent floor jack now.
And, a jack pad/adapter is nice to have too, less than $20 each from eBay. Might as well pick up a torque wrench while you are there.

Here is the jack I ended up with, and I've been happy with it:

Torin Aluminum Racing Jack 1.5 Ton

Chuck

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
One interesting thing I will mention with my winter set-up is that I have the same 4 tires at all 4 corners. In other words, I don't have wider tires in back. All 4 tires are the same 215/55 R17 at all four corners. Even though my back rims are a bit wider, the tires aren't. They do fit the rims fine. Looks a tiny bit strange to have such narrow tires on the back, but handling is fine and I think it's better to have narrower tires in the snow so it's okay.

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
One interesting thing I will mention with my winter set-up is that I have the same 4 tires at all 4 corners...All 4 tires are the same 215/55 R17 at all four corners.
That seems non-standard, but if it drives OK then that is the main thing. The manual recommends 205/55 R17 front, and 235/50 R17 rear. If you wear out that set maybe consider replacing them with the standard sizes.

Congratulations on getting your wheels changed out. Next Spring when you change them back again have a look at how easy it is to change your own brake pads as well. One less thing you have to rely on a mechanic for.

Chuck

1 - 11 of 11 Posts