Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Taking a page from Orthojoe over a rennlist, I am going to start documenting my track progress and equipment wear so that others in the community can benefit. I will start from the beginning. I picked up my Carmine Red Cayman GTS 09/2014 from Sonnen Porsche in Marin. Brett is the man. Go see him if you want a porsche.

First thing I did was
1. 997 GT3 front LCA so I can maximize camber for tire wear
- I source my LCA from Schnell autosport, site sponsor. Lemon is awesome- They are also available from Tarett Engineering. I did not get the Monoball joint which I wish I did. Well worth it!
- CAMBER -2.5 camber in the front rears are set to -2.25 and 1/16 toe in

2. 996 GT3 6 piston front caliper with custom 350 mm AP racing slotted rotors- Vision motor sport via wright wood racing. I did this to get maximum heat capacity and to prolong my brake life overall
Charlie at Wrightwood motorsports is awesome
http://www.planet-9.com/981-cayman-boxster-competition/106906-cayman-gts-upgrade.html#post940442

3. Schnell SS brake lines

4.PFC 11 brake pads- Clark at Apex performance got me these pads

5. Clear Bra

6. Track wheels Volk Racing TE37-
Titanium Silver
FRONT 18x8.5 5x130 +50
REAR 18x10.5 5x130 +41
7. Nitto tires
Front 245/40/18
Rear 275/40/18

DSC_3347.jpg DSC_3354 (1).jpg DSC_3353.jpg DSC_3342.jpg

Reactions: westwest888

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Fast forward 9 months
I will give you an update of my car
9 track events later and about 1000 track miles later
1. I went through one set of NT01 which lasted 6 track days- They were awesome in terms of traction until they were corded
2. Brake looks pretty good.
Front brake rotors have cracks, but I expect a lot more life.
PCF 11 are easy to modulate and overall I am happy. The front calipers are still red and haven't turn brownbo yet. Lol!
Front pads are wearing unevenly. The outside pads seems to be running about 25% less than inside pads. The right front pads seems to be wearing down a bit faster than the left side...weird... maybe I am driving too many tracks that are counter clock wise?
3. I did have an episode of fluid boiling over on a day that was 113 degrees ambient temp. I went out for an extended session for 45min and the pedal went to the floor.
IMG_5750.JPG IMG_5751.JPG IMG_5752.JPG IMG_5745.JPG IMG_5746.JPG IMG_5747.JPG

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tires (NT01)
I have pics below with tire wear after three track days. With the camber setting listed above, the wear appears to very even.
They like to run to 35-36 PSI hot.
IMG_5741.JPG IMG_5743.JPG IMG_5755.JPG IMG_5748.JPG

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Rear brakes
Stock OEM rotors are holding up fine.. No cracks around the holes.
Right rear pads are wearing out more than the left. Rear pads are wearing out much more than the front. Must be PTV helping me out....

IMG_5760.JPG IMG_5761.JPG IMG_5753.JPG IMG_5752.JPG

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
GPS PSE valve controller for passing sound at MRLS
I saw this on Rennlist and thought I could replicate this for the Cayman GTS... again very easy to do if you follow the links and read the directions. I met Marty who created this past Friday at a track event and he gave me a lot of insights. He like other fellow rennlist have been awesome!

http://www.planet-9.com/981-cayman-boxster-competition/108403-passing-sound-mrls.html

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Video from Thunderhill 5 miles where it was 113 degrees

Heat is not good for the car. I lost some power, mental capacity, but more importantly, I lost my brakes. Even though I has 996 GT3 brake calipers and 350mm rotors... it could not withstand 50 min of constant beating. My brake pedal went to the floor coming into turn 14 before the front straight... I was able to carve a wider arc and down shift into second to save from hitting the barrier. 5 sec off my fastest pace. 2nd time at Thunderhill 5 miles... I know all these excuses.. Just watch

https://youtu.be/hAI1ALCBfJM

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
- CAMBER -2.5 camber in the front rears are set to -2.25 and 1/16 toe in
I am also running -2.5 in front and that is working great for me ( 13 track days and 6000 highway miles).
Only have -2.0 in back and getting some outside wear. Will increase slightly to see how that helps ( also have about 1/16 toe in on back).

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am also running -2.5 in front and that is working great for me ( 13 track days and 6000 highway miles).
Only have -2.0 in back and getting some outside wear. Will increase slightly to see how that helps ( also have about 1/16 toe in on back).
How was MRLS this weekend? Did you get any meatballs?

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
How was MRLS this weekend? Did you get any meatballs?
Used 2 hose clamps to hold the bypass valves closed ( on my stock Cayman GTS PSE) and that worked great.
Took them off the last session I ran the second day and got meat balled 10 minutes in with 96.6 db. Higher than I expected.
They said Laguna just got new sound equipment:wall:

middle 70F at Laguna, perfect day. 113F would kill me especially with long sessions. Have to worry about dehydration, etc.
I assume you don't have a cool shirt ( I don't).

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Used 2 hose clamps to hold the bypass valves closed and that worked great.
Took them off the last session the second day and got meat balled 10 minutes in with 96.6 db.

middle 70F at Laguna, perfect day. 113F would kill me especially with long sessions. Have to worry about dehydration, etc.
I assume you don't have a cool shirt ( I don't).
I did one 45 min session early in the day and then the brakes went south... then a few other 20 min session and called it a day by 3:00pm. I must have drank 2L of water in the AM and 3-4L in the afternoon. No more T-hill this summer. Cool shirt did not help. I did have access to a friend's and it help some, but still miserable. I will be heading to MRLS July 30 (Thursday). I think that is the only track event until sept or oct... too hot otherwise!

·
Premium Member
505 Posts
I realize you don't have PDK which adds to oil cooling challenges but did you happen to monitor oil temps? What about coolant temps which require some kind of data acquisition to get those?
What kind of brake fluid are you using? I switched to Endless and I think it makes a difference. Apparently Porsche Motorsports switched to Endless as well. Here at Mile High altitude, heat is always as challenge.
Your rear brake wear is interesting. PTV will add to the wear. If you are on a track with predominantly right hand turns, the right side will wear sooner. If your pads are wearing faster on the outside than inside, that could be due to the fact that the inside gets more cooling.
I upgraded my rear rotors to the Giro 325mm last year and this year I switched to 996T calipers in the rear so I can run 350X28mm rotors. Thicker and more cooling vanes. I use the 991S calipers in front with 350X33mm rotors. Makes a big difference for cooling purposes.
Thanks for your information.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I realize you don't have PDK which adds to oil cooling challenges but did you happen to monitor oil temps? What about coolant temps which require some kind of data acquisition to get those?
What kind of brake fluid are you using? I switched to Endless and I think it makes a difference. Apparently Porsche Motorsports switched to Endless as well. Here at Mile High altitude, heat is always as challenge.
Your rear brake wear is interesting. PTV will add to the wear. If you are on a track with predominantly right hand turns, the right side will wear sooner. If your pads are wearing faster on the outside than inside, that could be due to the fact that the inside gets more cooling.
I upgraded my rear rotors to the Giro 325mm last year and this year I switched to 996T calipers in the rear so I can run 350X28mm rotors. Thicker and more cooling vanes. I use the 991S calipers in front with 350X33mm rotors. Makes a big difference for cooling purposes.
Thanks for your information.
Fluid huh... It didn't even occur to me. Anyhow, I am running Motul 600 I think. I never had an issue with brakes until 113F so I wasn't thinking that hard about fluid. Now I will have to. I may switch to endless. It $$$ right? Motul is like $15-20 for 500mL. I was hoping to keep the rear stock and just get bigger rotors but I may just stick with stock size... Haven't put much thought into the rears as I had hope that I would have a GT4 by now... the wait continues

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
oil temp got up to 260 so I stopped after that
water temp max 223
I'm not sure what was the upper range, but it never got into the red or limp mode

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the response. Lets keep this going!!! lots of good stuff with this discussion!

·
Premium Member
1,251 Posts
I'm still on the newer side, especially with the GTS. I used to use Motul 600, but when I went to order some for the DE at LS from Schnell, Lemon suggested Torque RT700... claims that it boils at an even higher temp... check out Torque's web site.... FWIW..
Don

·
Premium Member
505 Posts
By no means am I an expert on brake fluid but my reading suggests that wet and dry boiling points aren't the only factor. The stability of boiling points and compressibility are significant factors as well. Endless RF650 is reputed to do well in those areas.

·
Noob
857 Posts
I am using RT700 too, not like I can tell the difference but no harm done in using a better fluid. Supporting the local economy I guess and Amazon has them with prime shipping.

·
PCA Member and DE Instructor
3,107 Posts
Fluid huh... It didn't even occur to me. Anyhow, I am running Motul 600 I think. I never had an issue with brakes until 113F so I wasn't thinking that hard about fluid. Now I will have to. I may switch to endless. It $$$ right? Motul is like $15-20 for 500mL. I was hoping to keep the rear stock and just get bigger rotors but I may just stick with stock size... Haven't put much thought into the rears as I had hope that I would have a GT4 by now... the wait continues
Yes, the Endless does appear to be pricier. Another one that gets good reviews is Castrol SRF. Its pricy as well compared to Motul, but it also comes in a 1L bottle.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yes, the Endless does appear to be pricier. Another one that gets good reviews is Castrol SRF. Its pricy as well compared to Motul, but it also comes in a 1L bottle.
I'm willing to shell out more $$$ in the interest of research... I'll pick up some Castro sfr or endless next time I change pads which will be in a month or so.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Question about PSE: If one switches off PSE (via the console switch) in a GTS and drives at MRLS, will one still trip the sound limit? If not, why--does the ECU open up the bypass valves automatically under certain conditions, regardless of the console switch setting? On the other hand, if turning off PSE from the console solves the sound problem, what is the performance downside of taking this route?

Thanks.

jeff

1 - 20 of 53 Posts