Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Does anyone have any experience fitting a walker in the Boxster? I suspect it would fit neither trunk. This would be for a passenger, so probably no space inside the car.
walker.jpg

If my passenger were younger, I would just put the top down and have her hold it above her head...

·
Registered
474 Posts
First, congrats on the most unusual post I've seen on a forum. Without the post count I'd assuming this was some weird trolling. :)

Second, Boxster or Cayman will make a difference.

Third, don't the side rails on those fold down? IOW you don't need a box that size, but instead the collapsed dimensions which I thankfully do not have a test model for. Yet. I'm pretty sure it would fit on rear deck of Cayman but would damn sure want it secured somehow. I'd give it a try at a local dealer!

Lastly, won't it be incredibly hard for someone who needs this to get in, let alone out, of this car?

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
Maybe not the one you're already dealing with, but I expect you can get one that fits. Looking at this, I can't be sure but I'm somewhat confident it could fold up and fit in the trunk of a 981 Boxster.

Metro Walker :: Collapsible Walker

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
Purely guessing, it might fit in the rear Boxster trunk when folded flat.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
First, congrats on the most unusual post I've seen on a forum. Without the post count I'd assuming this was some weird trolling. :)

Second, Boxster or Cayman will make a difference.

Third, don't the side rails on those fold down? IOW you don't need a box that size, but instead the collapsed dimensions which I thankfully do not have a test model for. Yet. I'm pretty sure it would fit on rear deck of Cayman but would damn sure want it secured somehow. I'd give it a try at a local dealer!

Lastly, won't it be incredibly hard for someone who needs this to get in, let alone out, of this car?
Oh good point. I have a Boxster. I'll edit to make that more obvious.
You might be right about the person just getting into the car, because plenty of otherwise ambulatory people have had trouble getting in. Well, usually they are fine until they fall the last couple of inches.
But when I asked my dad about this passenger, he said that the walker would be the issue more than her dexterity.

Maybe I'll find out on Saturday when I'm visiting her, or we'll take her car.

I did have trouble once with a regular box from Lowes that wouldn't quite fit in either trunk and I had to put it on the passenger seat. It was just a little too big in each dimension.

Her walker might not be the same as the one pictured, so I don't know how well it collapses.

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
If you don't know the model and how it collapses... well... none of us can help. Regardless though, depending on what your situation is and why you want this person in your car, if you really want to make it happen there there appears to be options out there to help you along. Good luck!

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
I used to stow my mother's fold-up walker in the frunk of a 996TT. It had to be partially disassembled (it had wheels on the front tlike the one pictured that went off/on with wing nuts, and it was set to its lowest/most compact size) and it barely fit, but I wouldn't rule out a Boxster frunk. FWIW my mother - who was in her late 80's and early 90s and had a replacement hip was was not very ambulatory - said getting in and out of the Turbo and a later M3 was easier than my siblings' SUVs because once she rotated her legs out the side of the car she could touch the ground with her feet (and she was 5 feet tall with short legs). She said having to climb down out of an SUV was pretty nerve racking.

BTW, my now-departed mom loved going for brisk trips in my cars. She never once complained about the harsh-ish ride (compared to my siblings' Toyotas, Infinitis, etc.) and would grin from ear to ear when I put my foot in it. She died in 2009 at age 93, never having been sick a day in her life until three months before her passing. Even though it took a few minutes to get her in and out of the car and disassemble/assemble the walker, I often wish I could just call her up once more to tell her I'll be over in 20 minutes to take her for lunch or ice cream.

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
Maybe not the one you're already dealing with, but I expect you can get one that fits. Looking at this, I can't be sure but I'm somewhat confident it could fold up and fit in the trunk of a 981 Boxster.

Metro Walker :: Collapsible Walker
That unit is similar to my mom's. With the wheels off, it stowed diagonally in the frunk.

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
cayman yes.. it will fit.. had to bring grandma once to somewhere.. it was not a pretty sight getting her out of the front seat..stuck in the trunk to and on top of the engine hood.. took out the cover on the rear hatch..

Lemon

·
Registered
851 Posts
This is why my Mother-In-Law will never see the Cayman. If we could get her in, I have doubts about getting her out. Not to mention, you can fit me, the wife and the MIL in the Cayman. I hadn't even considered if the walker could fit.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Not to mention, you can fit me, the wife and the MIL in the Cayman. I hadn't even considered if the walker could fit.
As tempting as it might be to cram some MILs in the frunk or rear hatch, DON'T DO IT!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts