Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
There have been a lot of comments about the gearing being too tall in these cars.

I find that I almost never use 5th gear. In 2nd gear, I am already breaking every speed limit in the US. I either shift from 2nd to 6th while accelerating hard or I shift from 4th to 6th under normal (for me) acceleration. I just don't see a use for this gear.

I've tried 5th gear while using the shift indicator to maximize economy just for testing...but I'm only in that gear for seconds before I have to shift again. What the heck?

·
Registered
697 Posts
I do. Sometimes I forget to shift into 6th or don't feel like it shifting into 6th while on the highway. Being that this is not my DD, fuel economy is the last thing I am concerned about when driving around.

·
Premium Member
2,803 Posts
Obviously you don't track your car or you wouldn't ask the question. These cars are not made for one person's usage.

Dan
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
Strange. I would have asked if anyone uses 6th gear. I switch between 4th and 5th on the highway, I like to keep the rev's up, keep the car responsive. If I am stuck in the left lane behind a long line of cars, OK, I will drop to 6th and try to chill.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I use 5th, but not 6th unless I'm on the highway. My commute is 35 miles on rural/suburban roads and I find 5th gives me good throttle response and reasonable fuel economy when in the 40-65 mph range. When I first got the car I used 6th more, but realized it gave little benefit and just created the need to shift more. 5th is amazingly flexible and can pull from as low as 30 or so. I find it kind of amazing that it's almost impossible to lug this engine. I also agree that the gearing is too tall, but not a huge issue.

·
4,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Obviously you don't track your car or you wouldn't ask the question. These cars are not made for one person's usage.

Dan
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Correct, but the genesis of my question is not based on my ignorance of what gears are used on a track as you implied. The answer to that question is obvious. I could have put in the title (hey for you DD guys, do you really use 5th gear? - my bad) But even with a DD (which I don't even do - it's just a weekend toy) I don't see a need for the 5th gear. It's almost an irritant. I don't track my car and neither do most of us but the question is still valid for everybody who doesn't track their car.

·
4,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Strange. I would have asked if anyone uses 6th gear. I switch between 4th and 5th on the highway, I like to keep the rev's up, keep the car responsive. If I am stuck in the left lane behind a long line of cars, OK, I will drop to 6th and try to chill.
I use 5th, but not 6th unless I'm on the highway. My commute is 35 miles on rural/suburban roads and I find 5th gives me good throttle response and reasonable fuel economy when in the 40-65 mph range. When I first got the car I used 6th more, but realized it gave little benefit and just created the need to shift more. 5th is amazingly flexible and can pull from as low as 30 or so. I find it kind of amazing that it's almost impossible to lug this engine. I also agree that the gearing is too tall, but not a huge issue.
I find these responses even more interesting. I never considered NOT using 6th gear. If I am just cruising at 40-65, I am on economy mode....which isn't too often. lol

·
Registered
261 Posts
I find these responses even more interesting. I never considered NOT using 6th gear. If I am just cruising at 40-65, I am on economy mode....which isn't too often. lol
Yeah, I understand. I think it depends on the roads. I'm fortunate to travel quite a few long, curvy roads and 5th works great on these. As you slow a bit, then accelerate thru a curve you can do so without a change down and still get a decent punch of power. I'd call this cruising but with a little sport thrown in. Fun and still reasonably within the speed limit; well, sort of ;)

Reactions: subshooter

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I use 5th a lot. Even if it's just cruising @ 50-60mph or something. The 6th ... then maybe less so. But i still use it

·
Enjoying the drive.
1,265 Posts
I skip it a lot. When I first got the car (2004 S with 16,000 miles), I drove high into each gear and found I could go 1-2-6 and be just fine for commuting, however I now shift lower in the rev range and go 1-2-3-4-6 most of the time.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I skip it a lot. When I first got the car (2004 S with 16,000 miles), I drove high into each gear and found I could go 1-2-6 and be just fine for commuting, however I now shift lower in the rev range and go 1-2-3-4-6 most of the time.
Hmmmm. Why would you skip gears, especially on the way up? I rarely skip gears even on downshifts. I mostly only do 4 to 2 with double clutching in situations where I need to slow down the car very quickly before making a turn on streets. Wouldn't even occur to me where I would need to skip on the way up ...

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
I find that I almost never use 5th gear. <snip> I either shift from 2nd to 6th while accelerating hard or I shift from 4th to 6th under normal (for me) acceleration. I just don't see a use for this gear.
lol, let's hear some stories from your past girlfriends!! lolololol

An aside, 2 spaces after every period -- dude you are like, so old school.

:hilarious:

(took me a long time to break that same habit, ibm selectric much?)

:beer:

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
I don't use 4th, 5th, or 6th anymore! :hilarious:

[/URL] (skip to 1:32)

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
I use it all the time... but I'm still in the break-in period so even when just cruising along at highway speeds I'll often shift just for the heck of it. :D

I'm also baffled by the idea of not using 6th though. I mean... any time you're just cruising along on the highway, why wouldn't you use it?? It's not like you want to be in 5th for better passing or something. That's what 3rd and 4th are for.

·
Registered
425 Posts
There have been a lot of comments about the gearing being too tall in these cars.
This is my first car with a 6 speed (my 2008 Base Cayman had the 5 speed). The gearing in the base Cayman was utterly perfect with 5 cogs, tightly spaced and short enough to maximize the 2.7 liter.

The 6 speed is taller than it needs to be in most gears, and shorter in 6th than I personally would like. I drove the 7 speed manual in the Vette and I think it's clear that all these gears at some point just become bragging rights.

In my perfect world I'll find an affordable way to shorten the first 5 gears and grow the 6th ratio. If that doesn't work out I think a ring and pinion that wasn't track oriented would probably be fine too despite obviously shortening 6th.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I DD my car and I use 5th. I rarely skip gears going up... even if I go to 70 in second I'll usually go through all the gears on my way to sixth because why not? I more often skip gears on my way down if I have to slow down quickly. Also there are a fair number of roads around here where the limit is 45 or 50, so I'll cruise in 5th on those.

·
4,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
lol, let's hear some stories from your past girlfriends!! lolololol

(took me a long time to break that same habit, ibm selectric much?)
I have no idea what you just said or implied lol....so I liked your post anyway because I am sure it was funny.
:hilarious:

Edit: Ok, I just figured it out. Obviously referring to the other thread. lol. Unfortunately I don't have any good stories to share on that front. :(

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
I have no idea what you just said or implied lol....so I liked your post anyway because I am sure it was funny ...
"go from first base straight to home plate". :D

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
So far, I find I use all the gears, not skipping any.

My wife, a professional secretary for quite a few decades now, chides me constantly for NOT doing that.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts