Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Due to tracking the car cooling is a concern of mine. Does the Cayman GTS have additional cooling over the S? Additional radiator, etc? Appreciate your input as I can't get a good answer from dealer.

·
Registered
792 Posts
981 CS with 6MT does not have 3rd radiator but 981 CS with PDK does. GTS's all have 3rd radiator.
Or you can just add the third radiator, like I did. Much more cost effective if you need to take the bumper off because you rear-ended someone. :cheers:

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Haha. Hopefully I don't rear end another car! I am trying to keep car 100% stock so don't want to add another radiator. Good to hear GTS has an additional radiator regardless of trans. I am going with PDK though so I guess the S would of had the third radiator anyway. Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
792 Posts
Haha. Hopefully I don't rear end another car! I am trying to keep car 100% stock so don't want to add another radiator. Good to hear GTS has an additional radiator regardless of trans. I am going with PDK though so I guess the S would of had the third radiator anyway. Thanks for the input!
Well, it is stock in the sense that it is Porsche parts and comes stock on certain 981s....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Good day from Spain.
Thanks in advance for your help

I have achieved a Boxster 981 S Manual T, and i ve just bought the Sport design pack of front spoiler and rear diffusor.

The issue comes now. already paid for it, Porsche tells me that because of my manual transmission i need to buy the third radiator of the Gts, with a doubled final price.

Taking a look to both front designs, the S with a closed front intake and 2 front lateral opened ones, ant the Gts with 3 front opened intakes but with grills, i am not sure if it is really necessary to add and pay these extra parts.

Ps. Seems to be that with PDK transmission, a third rad is not needed, and from Germany says they are not sure about existing radiator stock parts and delivery stimations....

What to do then ??
Thanks and rgds

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,610 Posts
Who in Porsche told you need the third center radiator because you have a manual transmission ?
They do not know what they are talking about. The 3rd radiator is needed for the PDK not for the manual transmission.
In the early Boxster years 98-99 you usually added the radiator if you installed the 996 3.4 engine replacing the stock 986 2.5
It's a good idea if you are going to be doing a number of DE's
But you don't need it; keep your money and let Porsche get it from some other unknowing customer.

Reactions: M. Schneider

·
Registered
11 Posts
Who in Porsche told you need the third center radiator because you have a manual transmission ?
They do not know what they are talking about. The 3rd radiator is needed for the PDK not for the manual transmission.
In the early Boxster years 98-99 you usually added the radiator if you installed the 996 3.4 engine replacing the stock 986 2.5
It's a good idea if you are going to be doing a number of DE's
But you don't need it; keep your money and let Porsche get it from some other unknowing customer.
Good day and thanks for your time.

Another collegue already told me something similar and left with some doubts about the global result letting see the metal through the front grill.

The local highest responsible of workout and mechanics told me so, according to a conversation or email they got with equals in Germany factory.

He told me the problem came from the transmission, being automatic would not be necessary. Furthermore they had lack of stock about the extra items so they could not tell me when could i get the whole order, bumper and rad.

And what is more, they say that i need to install the third radiator in order to enable them to homologate the whole work for traffic authorities and let me drive legally, if not i should look for another company to do that.

Yesterday I found an used front radiator in Germany and propose Porsche to send it to them for installing it before the original brand new bumper that i already paid. I guess this monday will get a response but dont expect too much.

All this is a bit disheartening.
3 weeks ago i ordered an Alcantara steering wheel and a regular maintenance revision.
The wheel came with a tiny damage and the revision took 3 days due some failures in their machines.
This is Mallorca island, with many wealthy people and expensive price lists, but it seems we were in a deeply lost village in the jungle.

Best regards

·
Registered
510 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, the GTS has 3rd radiator by default. So, the GTS front bumper may not have the center radiator block-off like the S/base model bumper does.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi, thanks for your time.

I see your point.

Luckily, i think, i got a reply today from Porsche saying they accept to install the Gts Bumper without the central radiator but, dont homologate that work, so i have talked to a known engineer.

Let s see how well the car goes with this change, and how good is the new appearance. Being positive.

·
Registered
510 Posts
BTW - I installed the 3rd radiator myself on my S. I bought the kit from Suncoast for about $820 and installed it in a few hours. It wasn't that difficult if you have moderate DIY skills. If your bumper included all the ducting, it would probably be cheaper.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Sounds insteresting.

I ve got some skills, but actually never used in mechanics.
For the.moment i ll wait and see how do i feel the car, temperatures etc.

Why did you all install it ?/i mean, cooling down recommendations from/for ... ? Track days, severe weather areas ?
Obviously the more refrigerated the better, but i saw, as well, on the supplier web site that the rad weighs around 30 kgs, 14 pounds or so.

Rgds

·
Registered
510 Posts
I did it mainly for track days. I live in Texas and we get some pretty severe heat during the summer. The water temp was good with the 3rd radiator, but the oil temps didn't come down as much as I had hoped. I think a larger oil cooler is needed to really help bring those oil temps down.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi, and sorry for the delay.

That makes sense then, track days and hot weather.
I will observe the temperatures and see if it may need that third one.
I would love to take it in to run a bit, but no hurry for now.

The local supplier finally agreed to install the pieces without the Rad but no homologating them.
That is some progrees at least. Fingers crossed not to face any more problems on it.

Regards.

·
Premium Member
1,610 Posts
Good to hear. They are realizing that you will think about what telling you and not just do anything they say.

Reactions: Marito3m

·
Registered
510 Posts
Make sure they give you (or don't charge you for) whatever parts came with the kit and can't be installed securely. There are shrouds that snap on between the nose piece and the radiator to force airflow through the radiator. Those shrouds are very pricey, and you'll need them later if you decide to put the 3rd radiator in. So, I would recommend getting a parts list of what came in the kit and make sure either they are either all installed, or you get them when they are done.

Also be aware that if you don't have the whole front-end solid, the car's handling may be affected due to aerodynamic forces. There was a post by another member a while back that had some strange handling issues. He finally was able to narrow it down (after a long period of time and a lot of troubleshooting expense) to broken tabs on the plastic fill piece that is in place without the 3rd radiator. At moderately high speeds, that fill piece would flex and let air into one side which caused the car to wander. Strange and unexpected source for a handling problem.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Good day and thanks for your complete info.
Actually, today the car is in the garage, and as expected we are dealing with the front non existing radiator area to cover and attach the bumper to the body. We ll go bit by bit to feel how the new handling is.
The tecnician, who works for Official Porsche, tells me to deattach the front airflow piece, and add a grill as a buddy said here.
We will see how all this ends up.

Regards.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I was told that Porsche specified the 3rd radiator for warmer climates. I am in Canada and so my Cayman (987.2) didn't come with one. I ordered one online and installed it a while ago.
Help with keeping the engine and tranny (which share the same coolant) cool in the summer. I would recommend adding the 3rd rad, since you live in a hot country and especially since you are removing the bumper already for your mod.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi Oleg
Sure, i think we all share the convenience of adding a third rad,specially for extreme weather or tracking.
The point here was how Porsche had dealt with this, and the reasoning they used, manual tranny etc issue, and of course the additional 3,5 thousands dollars as a sudden surprise.

I add you a couple of pics of the work already done.
Thanks a lot for your help

IMG_20200110_153053_7.jpg
IMG-20200110-WA0000.jpg

1 - 20 of 22 Posts