Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
driving to the office this morning on kapiolani blvd and a 3 series bimmer cuts right in front of me (apparently, he was going to the bmw dealership)...i slammed on the brakes (i could feel the abs pulsating) and blast my horn and the bimmer's driver looks at me as if to say why am i driving in the wrong direction (for those who don't know, weekday mornings, kapiolani has a lane coned to add a contraflow lane in the ewa direction into downtown. i was in the contraflow lane (the coned lane) and the bimmer was in the next lane (we both were ewa bound). Evidently, the bimmer didn't realize there was a contraflow lane (what the heck are all those cones there for?) and he attempted to make a left turn into the dealership right in front of me. what an idiot.

but wait, thats not the end of it. i'm makai bound on punchbowl st in the right lane going to make a right onto queen st when a pickup truck in the next lane makes a right onto queen and almost hits the car in front of me.

also, because i have a compressed disc in my back, when i'm in the office i frequently get out of my chair to stretch my back. while stretching, i look out my window at mililani st (thats how i see the cars passing my office) and i see drivers making illegal u turns about 20 times a day.

end of rant....

·
Premium Member
1,844 Posts
I've always thought Oregon drivers were the nation's worst. They go slow, typically driving under the speed limit. No kidding. There's little lane discipline. A favorite Oregon driver practice when pulling into traffic is to jump out in front of you, forcing you to hit your brakes, especially if you are the only car on the road, and then go slowly in front of you. Some significant percentage of drivers are talking on the phone, and many are texting while they drive. I try to always honk the ones that are texting. :) I've driven in most states in the US (and in many other countries) and Oregon drivers strike me as the most mindless by far, worldwide. It is a pleasure to go to Canada and experience at least a modicum of reasonable practices. When I go to SoCal it takes me awhile to re-acclimate to driving fast. :)

·
Premium Member
1,448 Posts
I think we are probably the #1 or #2 worst driving state in the nation. Even the old grandma's in Japan are better drivers :hilarious:(because of the intense driving schools). But I had a rude awakening on my last trip to SF. Just leaving the airport was pretty gnarly, even though my mindset was in Race mode because we were headed to Laguna Seca.
But getting BOT, I think its just the increase in population and cars on this small island that we just have to be extra careful and extra alert.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A favorite Oregon driver practice when pulling into traffic is to jump out in front of you, forcing you to hit your brakes, especially if you are the only car on the road, and then go slowly in front of you. Some significant percentage of drivers are talking on the phone, and many are texting while they drive. I try to always honk the ones that are texting.
drivers in honolulu don't know how to merge either, although its partly a result of how the "freeways" are engineered (there really are no merge lanes, you literally need to go from 0 to 60 in a second or else the traffic traveling at freeway speeds will be up your okole (local for butt)).

fortunately, the honolulu city council passed an ordinance prohibiting the use of handheld devices (e.g., cell phones) while driving as it too was a problem in honolulu (the rest of the state can continue to text and drive).

·
Registered
194 Posts
We have pretty bad drivers but not the worst.

The problem with Hawaii drivers is that most of them don't give a flying [censored] about anything and a lot of them don't really know the rules of the road.

·
Cayman Enthusiast
9,995 Posts
Well when tourist season kicks in Santa Fe ranks pretty high with the "I wouldn't do this at home but.." crowd. I refuse to take my Cayman into town while the out of state plates from ***** are in abundance. I imagine all tourist destinations like yours are the same.

·
Premium Member
1,143 Posts
I believe its just in the air nowadays.People in general do not tend to be as courteous and well mannered.On or off the road. A please and thankyou can go along way somtimes.I witness people in stores or restaurants just being plain rude to those serving them and then getting pissed off when the service was not upto there expectations.Same on the road,the closer i get to the Bay area the worse it gets.Give me mine and to heck with the rest of you.Road rules and etiquette are not for me i just want to get to where it is I'M going and get out of my way. When one tries to politely point out anothers indiscretion you are either met with the finger.Or you are just lead to believe that it is your driving habits that need to change in order to accomadate those of us that drive like ---holes..

·
Premium Member
833 Posts
We're pretty bad ... few people use their turn signals; too many run red lights; make illegal u-turns; and, I still see people with phones glued to their ears, jabbering away like they're the only ones on the road ...

The u-turns aggravate me the most because, as a (now ex-)motorcycle rider, I've seen too many near accidents ... the worst are those parked on the right, between cars, making a u-turn across a double yellow and when you yell at them, they give you that "WTF is your problem?"

But, there are bad drivers everywhere ... impatient ones are the worst, weaving in and out ... I've seen drivers run up the RH shoulder and then turn left in front of four lanes of traffic in Atlanta.

·
Premium Member
1,448 Posts
Hawaii drivers suck, but I visited SF a month ago and I thought that was gnarly, then I visited NY last week. Whoa!!! Everybody drives with one hand on da horn. They let the horn rip even when they are in the wrong:hilarious:. That was pretty wild:)!
So my evaluation is maybe the grass is really browner on the other side of the fence:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:!

·
Super Moderator
10,402 Posts
As a lifelong NY'er , it would be interesting to see if you plopped me in the middle of HI if I would think how courteous everyone was!

·
Premium Member
1,448 Posts
As a lifelong NY'er , it would be interesting to see if you plopped me in the middle of HI if I would think how courteous everyone was!
I was in the middle of the city though, so I think any major city would be pretty gnarly.
I think if you plopped down in the middle of HI, you would think everybody was driving in slow motion because the speed limit around the island is mainly 35 mph :(.

·
Middle-Aged Porsche Punk
996 Posts
According to the The 2009 “Allstate America’s Best Drivers Report" Hawaii ranks 109 at of 193. Sioux Falls, SD ranks #1 as best drivers and Washington, DC as the worst. Attached is the complete listing.

http://allstatenewsroom.com/documents/425;download?src=L2NhdGVnb3JpZXMvNi9yZWxlYXNlcy80NTI5%0A
Washington DC is definitely bad - too many discontinuous highways, missing road signs, malfunctioning traffic signals, and self-centered Type A personalities who actually think "yes I am more important than you" (not to mention police and government officials who reinforce that fact for many of those said folks and close streets without prior warning). Kind of like Hollywood with more militantly unattractive celebrities. And much of that spills over into certain parts of Virginia and Maryland where said unattractive celebrities live.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts