Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does Porsche predetermine the options on dealers first allocated cars for new models?
My question is about Porsche new models and dealers first allocated cars. Does Porsche usually predetermine the options on the first allocated cars to dealerships? I'm first in line at my dealer for the new Boxster Spyder and the dealership mentioned that sometimes Porsche will do this for new models. Is this true and if it is, how likely will they do it for the Boxster Spyder? I do want one of the first ones, but I want to spec it the way I want it.

·
Premium Member
10,402 Posts
In the past Porsche has issued one or two "Launch Cars" to each dealer with identical configurations. I'm not sure if this will happen to the Spyder since it is somewhat of a limited edition.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In the past Porsche has issued one or two "Launch Cars" to each dealer with identical configurations. I'm not sure if this will happen to the Spyder since it is somewhat of a limited edition.
Thanks for the reply... I hope you are correct.

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
From what I can see Porsche is doing this more and more with non-launch, dealer spec cars.

For instance I'm a firm believer that Porsche has cut some sort of deal with XM radio, as 99% of all the dealer spec cars around here have it. Or maybe it's a dealer scheme. Either way, XM is not that popular and the antennas are ugly. It's done all the time,....XM gives Porsche a little money on each car it equips hoping to garner a subscription and Porsche happily takes the money. Then they tack on $750 to MSRP for something that probably cost $100 in hardware. The perfect sham.

Same to some extent with PDK as from what I can tell about 75% of '09s and '10s are being equipped with it,.....initial shipment of 2010 Cayman S spec cars were 4, 3 being PDK and 1 stick. All the '09s left on the lot were PDKs, and two of the initial 2010 CSs were sold, the one stick and one PDK.

I'm not trying to pass judgement here on PDK (or XM), but there is no doubt in my mind that Porsche would love us all to pay $3500 for PDK along with $1320 for S/C to gain its full benefits. They could easily put launch control on PDK without S/C (and should),....but of course they want us to part with more money. It just makes good business sense for them to do so, more money on the bottom line.

As PisolPete said, hopefully this won't happen to the Syder, but it should be a popular car and Porsche is one of the grand masters of exploitation. If you don't order it with a bit of extra profit in it for Porsche, the next one on the list probably will. Sad...

·
Registered
6,829 Posts
I doubt they'll do launch cars for the Spyder - first, it's a small run, limited edition, and usually they're not "launched." And past history shows it's usually a major change in the cars or the introduction of an entirely new model. The launch of the Cayman S in '05-'06 had launch cars, the base Cayman in '07 did not. The 997/987 Gen 2 cars - Carreras Boxsters and Caymans had launch cars, most were equipped with the newly "launched" PDKs. Gen 2 GT3s and Turbos don't have launch cars, probably because of a smaller number of cars produced.

brad

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Beez, I hope you are correct. Last time I checked, both my dealers still had their 2009 Cayman S launch cars for sale. IMHO they were too well equipped.

If the Boxster Spyder does get launch cars, personally I hope they stick to what they state in their marketing and leave most of the options out. Last thing I want is it optioned out with PDK, radio, ac, full leather and a bunch of other things that add weight to defeat the whole purpose of the car. Hopefully they spec them out bare bones... I want the xenons and I can deal with the Alcantara package, other than that nothing is needed IMHO.

Otis, you are also correct with it being a new model. I brought this up with my dealer and he replied with the fact that the GT3, GT3 RS, Carrera GT and others are regular models and had limited production (yes, I know they aren't in the same league... but like the Spyder, they have a limited consumer base).

I guess we will see soon... I heard allocation is being distributed this next week... with order guides being available then or right after the LA auto show.

·
Registered
189 Posts
As others have suggested there will not be 2011 Boxster Spyder launch cars. It is typical when Porsche begins production of a model that not 100% of the options are immediately available. This typically applies to "exclusive" options since longer lead time is required.

Your dealer's online Fitting lounge would allow them to input your desired options and see if there are any time restrictions for your specific model.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
As others have suggested there will not be 2011 Boxster Spyder launch cars. It is typical when Porsche begins production of a model that not 100% of the options are immediately available. This typically applies to "exclusive" options since longer lead time is required.

Your dealer's online Fitting lounge would allow them to input your desired options and see if there are any time restrictions for your specific model.
Ash,
Thank you for the info... great news indeed.
Additionally thanks to all that replied... This is new territory for me as this is my first order with a new Porsche model.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts