Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I peruse several car forums, and there is a discussion going on over at Bimmerpost about the M2 and the discussion turned to the Cayman 981...

One poster claimed that the Carrera will "always be superior" to the Cayman because the Carrera uses a 'multi-link' rear suspension while the Cayman does not.

So, I was looking through some of the marketing literature for the Cayman GTS (particularly the brochure) it describes the rear suspension as being 'Multi link suspension with anti-roll bar'

Cayman GTS - All Cayman Models - All Porsche Models - Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG

Scroll down to the 'Download Brochures' section and download the Cayman GTS Catalog PDF. On page 20 it details the specs.

This booklet is also available in print form from a Porsche dealer and contains the same description of the rear-suspension.

So, is this a typo? Or does the Cayman have a multi-link rear suspension? I'm not enough of an expert to tell the difference between the rear end of the 981 vs the 991, I'm sure they are different... But it would see that saying the Cayman is 'not multi-link' is incorrect. Could the GTS have a different rear setup than the base or S versions?

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
It does indeed have multi-link rear. Not a typo. Cayman S and GTS are the same

·
Super Moderator
13,942 Posts
That does not mean they are the same. Download the similar 911 brochure and it calls it a LSA multi-link suspension where LSA means lightweight, stable, agile

Here is an excellent breakdown of the rear suspension complete with pictures. Elephant Racing | 991 Carrera C2S Suspension Overview

Here is the GT3 suspension Elephant Racing | 991 GT3 Suspension Overview

And a cup car suspension Elephant Racing | 991 Cup Car suspension overview and GT3 comparison

And here is a complete breakdown with different views of the 991 LSA multilink suspension Elephant Racing | Suspension Navigator | Porsche 991 So if your rear suspension look the same as the pictures and diagrams, then it is the same. Or not. You will have to look.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That does not mean they are the same. Download the similar 911 brochure and it calls it a LSA multi-link suspension where LSA means lightweight, stable, agile

Here is an excellent breakdown of the rear suspension complete with pictures. Elephant Racing | 991 Carrera C2S Suspension Overview

Here is the GT3 suspension Elephant Racing | 991 GT3 Suspension Overview

And a cup car suspension Elephant Racing | 991 Cup Car suspension overview and GT3 comparison

And here is a complete breakdown with different views of the 991 LSA multilink suspension Elephant Racing | Suspension Navigator | Porsche 991 So if your rear suspension look the same as the pictures and diagrams, then it is the same. Or not. You will have to look.
Awesome! Thanks for the links Chows, I will review.

Do they have any similar detailed reviews of the 981 rear suspension?

·
Super Moderator
13,942 Posts
Awesome! Thanks for the links Chows, I will review.

Do they have any similar detailed reviews of the 981 rear suspension?
Sorry, I've never seen them. The 911 is documented extremely well. 981 car not so much. Those articles were put up by Elephant racing in 911 forums with compete breakdowns and pictures. The descriptions between the GT3 cars and Cup Cars are very good.

Notice how the Cup cars use slotted rotors for racing whereas cross drilled rotors are bling.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Keep in mind when comparing suspensions that the 991 has to have more sophisticated hardware, if it's going to stay on the road when piloted by nonprofessional drivers.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Which "911" do you currently own? Long hood? Carrera? SC? G series?

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This was kind of my thought too... The RR nature of the Carrera kind of requires a more sophisticated rear-end to compensate for the characteristics of a rear-engine car.

The Cayman, on the other hand, because of it's mid-engine layout, might not require as complex of a rear-suspension than a Carrera.

I'm sure there are other things that make the Carrera rear-end "better" (I would assume that extra $$ goes somewhere) than a Cayman. But I do question the notion that sophisticated or complex necessarily equals better or superior.

Reactions: Mike R.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Reactions: jwwu

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
But, Porsche calls the Cayman rear suspension 'multi-link', I provided a link to Porsche's website...

Are they lying? False advertising? Typo?

·
Registered
200 Posts
But, Porsche calls the Cayman rear suspension 'multi-link', I provided a link to Porsche's website...

Are they lying? False advertising? Typo?
I looked up the same brochure for the base/s and it list the suspension as "Lightweight spring-strut suspension". So it might be different but i highly doubt they use a completely different setup since you would have to change how the entire rear end is set up including rerouting the exhaust.

The rear is connected at the control arm/toe link/strut...soooooo thats technically multiple points of linkage ;)

If anyone has a gts and can take a picture of the rear with the wheel off that would put this to bed.

·
Registered
955 Posts
If anyone has a gts and can take a picture of the rear with the wheel off that would put this to bed.
I think we may be confusing two comparisons here. The 981 GTS suspension is not different from the other 981’s. But the 981 rear supension *is* different from the 991 rear suspension. I believe the OP was asking about the 981 vs. 991 comparison, not the GTS comparison.

Rear-engine handling idiosyncracies notwithstanding, I would expect that just the space constraints alone would require different rear suspension designs for the 991 vs. the 981.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I believe the OP was asking about the 981 vs. 991 comparison, not the GTS comparison.
I was not asking about the differences between the 981 and 991 rear end. I would assume they are very different because of the engine layout (that, and the 991 costs more).

I am asking if the Cayman 981 (GTS or otherwise) is a 'multi-link' suspension as described in the Cayman GTS literature.

Basically, someone on another forum told me that "The Cayman is not multi-link..." however the Porsche literature seems to contradict that.

I am not a suspension expert, I appreciate the picture of the Cayman rear end, but I can't say I really know what I'm looking at... I can't say I even know what a multi-link suspension means...

So, is this a multi-link suspension?

53899d1371501498t-does-981-have-multi-link-rear-suspension-46979d1371501498-whats-difference-bet.jpg

·
Registered
746 Posts
It is interesting that the Porsche GTS brochure says it has a multi-link suspension in the rear...

·
Registered
67 Posts
The 981 does, indeed, use a strut, but it is not a McPherson Strut suspension. The 981 is multi-link. (Not the same multi-link as the 991, obviously, but still multi-link.) McPherson Strut suspension uses a single lower arm plus the strut to control geometry. The geometry can be better controlled with a multi-link set-up.

·
Registered
992 Posts
I am under the impression that the Cayman's strut rear suspension is significantly inferior to the 991's for the purposes of track driving and that there is an undesirable camber change when the suspension is loaded. I heard this was a cost saving measure and since Porsche never originally intended to race the Boxster/Cayman that a more costly approach was deferred. I had hoped this would change with the 981, but maybe with the 982?

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
I am under the impression that the Cayman's strut rear suspension is significantly inferior to the 991's for the purposes of track driving and that there is an undesirable camber change when the suspension is loaded. I heard this was a cost saving measure and since Porsche never originally intended to race the Boxster/Cayman that a more costly approach was deferred. I had hoped this would change with the 981, but maybe with the 982?
I can confirm with photos from my car when tracking that undesirable positive camber happens on the rear under heavy braking and corner entry. Maybe why its so tail happy.

220513jpm_0244.jpg

For the Op I think if he wants to post back on the site in question the safe answer would be.

"The 991 and 981 both have multilink suspension. But the 991 is of superior quality and design."

:cheers:

·
Registered
746 Posts
The 981 does, indeed, use a strut, but it is not a McPherson Strut suspension. The 981 is multi-link. (Not the same multi-link as the 991, obviously, but still multi-link.) McPherson Strut suspension uses a single lower arm plus the strut to control geometry. The geometry can be better controlled with a multi-link set-up.
According to the Porsche brochure, the GTS has McPherson in front and multi-link in the rear.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts