Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My top reason to buy the CS is the road feel it offers unlike other sport cars. By road feel I mean primarily the feel you get through the steering. A more connected feel. But the Cayman offers other tactile attributes such as progressive brakes, shifter feel and interior road sounds too.

I have driven an 09 997S only once on a quick test drive and did not get the same connected feel as I do with the Cayman. I do not know if that was do to the tires or not, but it did not work for me. So for the people who have experience with the 997 what do you say about the connected feel difference? And if there is a difference what mechanically could it be?

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
I think you are right. IMO the only 997 that feels more connected to the road is the GT3 (which is why I ended up trading my CS for one). I have not driven the 2010 Turbo, which is supposed to be quite good and better than earlier Turbo models. The Turbo's I've driven (pre-2010) feel somewhat disconnected to the road by comparison.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I fully understand about the feel you get from a Cayman/Boxster. I test drove a new 2008 997 (base car, 18" rims, PASM) when searching for a new Boxster to buy (traded a 2002 base Boxster). I have two vintage 911's as well. While the 997 was an extremely competent sports car, power output was insane and I really enjoyed it, I found the 997 was a bit heavy in feel. The Boxster/Cayman twins seem a bit more connected and have a much more intimate driving feel.

The Cayman/Boxster chassis is mid engine and that may have something to do with how Porsche can set up these cars to feel so darn good. The Cayman/Boxster are lighter and that can add to the more agile, more connected feel.

I love the look of the new 997 and weight must increase on the new cars due to safety features and required driving comforts that buyers of a $90k sports car demand, the 911 is getting quite heavy as compared to previous generations.

Being a serious 911 person, I have found myself really enjoying the Boxster/Cayman platform as an everyday car just due to that "feel" that is so hard to describe.

Jay
08 987
90 964
84 911

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I will agree that the new Cayman S has a great feel. I like it better than the 997's. However, on a looks basis I'd go with the new 997S.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2009 997.2 Carrera S with PDK. Before I bought it I spent a fair amount of time in both cars. Why did I go to with the CS? For me (and I know this is really subjective) the CS just gave me a more connected feeling - more like I was a part of the car than just the driver.

The Cayman is a great car too and, like I said, it's very subjective. I really don't think you can go wrong either way.

·
Registered
156 Posts
While there are numerous mechanical differences between the two vehicles (to many to list or compare), I personally believe that the "feel" of the vehicles is largely dictated by the engine placement. The difference in engine placement between the two vehicles, also dictates a large cabin "feel" difference that makes for two different driving experiences.

The "closeness" of the Cayman's interior cabin I personally believe attributes to the overall increase in "road feel" as compared to the 997. Having the engine so close to the passengers in the Cayman brings a connection to the vehicle and subsequently the road that is unique to the Cayman.

With that being said I believe that they are both very competent vehicles and when it comes down to it they both serve their purpose and meet the discerning needs of Porsche drivers in different ways. I find the 911 to have a lot of "road feel," just in a different way than the Cayman.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I had a loaner 997 Cab when my Cayman S was at the dealer. It felt like a boat. At a recent autocross, someone compared his Cayman to his wife's 997 and said the Cayman felt like he was wearing running shoes and the 997 felt like sandals.

I agree with "Jputt" about cabin closeness. I think the cabin closeness makes it feel like you are wearing a close fitting glove, as opposed to baggy jeans.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I recently spent a day at the dealership driving the 2010 Carrera S and Cayman S in manual and PDK.

I went in thinking Carrera S and came out thinking Cayman S.

I agree with the "sitting lower" comments but the overiding feeling was that the Cayman S was better balanced and I felt more confident pushing it into the corners. It was a wet day and frankly the Carrera S did not give me the confidence that the Cayman S did.

Balance = confidence

Twitchiness = scary

·
Registered
3 Posts
While there are numerous mechanical differences between the two vehicles, I personally believe that the "feel" of the vehicles is largely dictated by the engine placement. The difference in engine placement between the two vehicles, also dictates a large cabin "feel" difference that makes for two different driving experiences.

The "closeness" of the Cayman's interior cabin I personally believe attributes to the overall increase in "road feel" as compared to the 997. Having the engine so close to the passengers in the Cayman brings a connection to the vehicle and subsequently the road that is unique to the Cayman.

With that being said I believe that they are both very competent vehicles and when it comes down to it they both serve their purpose and meet the discerning needs of Porsche drivers in different ways. I find the 911 to have a lot of "road feel," just in a different way than the Cayman.
You may be right but the CS feels small to me. But, we usually drive mostly Vipers and Corvettes, which feel much larger than this car and less driver involved.

·
Registered
216 Posts
You have to be very careful when making generalizations between the 987 and 997 variants. There are so many variables between models and option choices that greatly affect the overall "feel"; S/non-S, PASM/non-PASM, PCCB/non-PCCB, manual/PDK/Tiptronic, wheel size, seats, and even steering wheel options can significantly change the "feel" of any model on what is a shared platform. Not to mention minor variables such as alignment, tire brand, and tire pressure from car to car.

·
Registered
156 Posts
You have to be very careful when making generalizations between the 987 and 997 variants. There are so many variables between models and option choices that greatly affect the overall "feel"; S/non-S, PASM/non-PASM, PCCB/non-PCCB, manual/PDK/Tiptronic, wheel size, seats, and even steering wheel options can significantly change the "feel" of any model on what is a shared platform. Not to mention minor variables such as alignment, tire brand, and tire pressure from car to car.
Agreed. To list the mechanical differences or try to analyze piece by piece how the two models vary mechanically is next to impossible.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
For me, the 911 feels like a proper sports car and the Boxster feels like a motorcycle with seatbelts. And I looove motorcycles.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I recently spent a day at the dealership driving the 2010 Carrera S and Cayman S in manual and PDK.

I went in thinking Carrera S and came out thinking Cayman S.

I agree with the "sitting lower" comments but the overiding feeling was that the Cayman S was better balanced and I felt more confident pushing it into the corners. It was a wet day and frankly the Carrera S did not give me the confidence that the Cayman S did.

Balance = confidence

Twitchiness = scary
The appeal of the 911 since 1964 when it was introduced is that the 911 is a hard car to drive and it takes time to master it. Not everyone likes the 911 due to this fact and that's what makes it special.

I will say that if you truly enjoy driving, once you get used to how Porsche sets up their cars (and all Porsches have this "feel" we are talking about), you're screwed. You'll have to drive a Porsche the rest of your life. I have not driven another brand of car yet that has that intangible "feel" that Porsches have. That feel is present at 30 mph just cruising downtown or at illegal freeway speeds.

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm screwed too. Porsche has become the benchmark for future sports car purchases.

·
Registered
69 Posts
This strikes me as very true:
You have to be very careful when making generalizations between the 987 and 997 variants.
That said, I was relatively new to modern-era Porches when I had the chance to attend the World Roadshow event at Mosport here in Canada. Only a lap or two per car, wth no prior knowledge of the track and many vehicle option variables in the mix, but still better than the average test drive by a long shot.

Based on that, I went with Cayman S, as I was far more confident quickly in that, as opposed to the Carrera. The C4S was very close, but a lot more expensive and it felt (subjectively) "heavy."

I'm a motorcycle guy too, as someone mentioned, and 986/987 cars just seem to reflect that kind of feedback a little better, to my taste. However, would love to get more 997 seat time to compare this further...:)

End of the day, this says it all:
once you get used to how Porsche sets up their cars (and all Porsches have this "feel" we are talking about), you're screwed.
My son's 2001 986 still "feels" better than 90% of the other cars I've driven, or ever will...

·
Premium Member
2,563 Posts
I set out to buy an 08 Carrera, had the opportunity to get a really good deal on a new 09 Carrera but chose a 'left over' (new) 08 CS after driving all 3 back to back. The road feel, ride, handling of the CS sold me. I also agree with the sentiment that Porsche spoils you. While I have not driven every type of decent performance car, in the >38 I have owned they have included an 00 Audi S4, an 00 C5 Vette, an 03 M3 and the Porsche (CS in this case) is hands down the flat out most enjoyable car for me as a daily driver whether in traffic or on my daily run in the twisties.

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I set out to buy an 08 Carrera, had the opportunity to get a really good deal on a new 09 Carrera but chose a 'left over' (new) 08 CS after driving all 3 back to back. The road feel, ride, handling of the CS sold me. I also agree with the sentiment that Porsche spoils you. While I have not driven every type of decent performance car, in the >38 I have owned they have included an 00 Audi S4, an 00 C5 Vette, an 03 M3 and the Porsche (CS in this case) is hands down the flat out most enjoyable car for me as a daily driver whether in traffic or on my daily run in the twisties.
This is interesting that you were able to drive all three back to back. Did you feel the Carreras offered less road feel or would you say just different? For me the 997S felt heavier than it actually weighs with the rear engine platform. I think the 997S weight only 150 lbs. more than the CS. The road feel through the steering wheel felt numb on the 997S compared to the CS. But like I say that was only one quick test drive.

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
This is interesting that you were able to drive all three back to back. Did you feel the Carreras offered less road feel or would you say just different? For me the 997S felt heavier than it actually weighs with the rear engine platform. I think the 997S weight only 150 lbs. more than the CS. The road feel through the steering wheel felt numb on the 997S compared to the CS. But like I say that was only one quick test drive.
You may be thinking heavier feel/more weight, but its likely heavier feel/greater polar moment of inertia for the 997S. Engine weight out back vs engine in center in the 987. More effort to twist around a corner, feels heavier.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts