Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. When I was in the market for a CS I test drove a couple cars. The ones with Michelin PS2 offered the best steering wheel feed back. I test drove a CS with Pirelli ties and it had zero feel in the steering. It was like night and day compared to the Michelins. Now is it just my imagination or does the Michelins offer the best feedback? Also are there other brands that offer the same amount of feel compared to the Michelins?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I replaced the PS2 tires with Yokohama AD08 tires because I wanted maximum grip. I have to say that the car felt better with the PS2. It seems there was just a perfect synergy between the suspension and the tires.. the car would dance over bumps. My new tires make the car feel heavier. Also, I thought the PS2 dealt with lower temperatures better.

Even though there are tires with better grip in the summer, I think the PS2s are a fantastic match for my 05 Boxster S. They are very lightweight compared to other tires too.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Strange. When I changed from RE050 to the PS2's I felt the latter to offer better response and less noise!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
PS2 is a good tyre and from what I hear is better than the RE050 for all round grip and feedback.

Not sure what Pirellis you had on the car you test drove, but maybe the pressures weren't correct or something. I changed my PS2's that still have loads of life left in them for PZero's and they are much better for dry grip IMHO, and my lap times seem to show that. Certainly less roll, great feedback and very sticky and the only tyres I'd go for now are RE011's (Which are not Porsche approved/developed).

·
Registered
570 Posts
I have tracked both and found the RE050 to be a much better tire and very good overall for a non-R compound. I think the PS2 may have a firmer sidewall which would give a little better steering feel but I prefer ultimate grip. I think while the PS2 is a very good tire it is HUGELY overrated especially by the Porsche community. There are so many great tires out there for much less money that I can't imagine ponying up the money for another set...ever.

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
I have to tell you that I have PS2s on my '98 Mustang Cobra with adjustable Bilsteins and on my son's Mazda Protege 5 and they make those disparate cars feel like go-carts; in the case of the Mustang, a very fast go-cart!

With the Cayman on Pirellis, I have a hard time coming to grips with the handling- it's much faster than the Mustang, but first the PSM interferes- then, when you shut PSM off, the lack of LSD results in way too much tire spin... I don't know if it's the tires or the the lack of LSD, but I know I can go faster.

Bottom line- I like the PS2s better.

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
Before I got the PS2's, I checked tire rack ratings, they have the highest rating of their category!
Nitro, that's true they do, but in reality for us dry grip is the most important and the PZero's are better in this area. The PS2's overall are great and have high marks in all areas, but PZero's are better graded for dry performance and are cheaper so for us it's a no brainer.

If I was living in Europe or certain parts of the US I would probably would have stuck with PS2's as they are better all round it seems, but I wanted maximum grip and short of getting semi slicks PZero's were the best available. If only RE011's or Nitto NT05's were available here I would have bought them possibly.....they are coming here soon I'm told.

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
Dune, there is a Nitto dealer is Sharjah Industrial Area.

I forgot the name but ask around, i'm sure people know.
Dealers are no problem, but they do not sell the whole product range as they are not confirmed for GCC spec yet. The same problem for Bridgestone RE11's unfortunately.

I've spoken with both Bridgestone and Nitto reps and they said the two semi-slick style tyres would be coming....

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
OK lets get this thread back on track. It seems for the people who have experience with the PS2s and other makes of tires agree that the PS2 offers more feedback for the most part. The other tires may offer greater grip than the PS2s but in this thread I am trying to address the feel aspect. Thanks everyone for your input!

·
PCA / POC Member & Club Donor
1,931 Posts
OK lets get this thread back on track. It seems for the people who have experience with the PS2s and other makes of tires agree that the PS2 offers more feedback for the most part. The other tires may offer greater grip than the PS2s but in this thread I am trying to address the feel aspect. Thanks everyone for your input!
I liked the fell of the RE050 better. The PS2 felt squirmy in comparison.

Cheers,

·
Premium Member
1,847 Posts
I liked the fell of the RE050 better. The PS2 felt squirmy in comparison.

Cheers,
+1 on the PS2 feeling a bit squirmy. I mentioned that I thought the Conti SC3s felt better on a thread awhile back, and the response was "no way". I beg to differ. I've found running the PS2s at +3 PSI front and rear makes them feel better. Not great, but better.

The two big advantages for the PS2s, in my opinion, are low noise and light weight. Nonetheless, an '09 S I drove with RE050 N1s felt superior to my car with PS2s (both were base suspension), IMO, so a set of Bridgestones is waiting in my storage room for when the PS2s get down to 4/32nd inches of tread depth. Also, Porsche factory folks have been saying over and over in the 2010 Turbo launch articles that the RE050 N1 is currently the best handling tire. We'll see about that.

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
The other tires may offer greater grip than the PS2s but in this thread I am trying to address the feel aspect.
Personally I found the PS2's squirmy especially when hot and with PS2's I'd find the rear would wiggle more where as the PZero's simply hooked up and went. The stiffer sidewalls on the PZero's may not make the feedback on turn in as good as the PS2's though, but they are more predictable at the limit, which I guess is due to less tyre roll.

Check out tireracks thoughts: Testing Max Performance Summer Tires Tuned for North American Drivers

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.