Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Had an issue with car, quarter window seal needed replacement as it was cracking. I also pointed out to SA that tach needle was more nervous than usual, he just called me and said my fuel pump is acting up, he said replacement for pump without labor is 1750.00! Car has been out warranty for 12 days! Does $1750 seem excessive or is that the going rate? I'm trying to reach indie mechanic right now. Car is four years old, 43K on odometer, can this be a battery issue?

Edit: car went through 40K service........a month ago.

Just spoke to indie, he says it doesn't sound like a fuel pump issue, spoke to Suncoast, guy said he hasn't heard of a 2012 CS having a fuel pump failure, SA is trying to get it done as a goodwill issue through Porsche, he says he'll know tomorrow if Porsche will ok, if they don't indie will take car.

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
WOW! Thanks! Just sending to my SA!

·
Registered
275 Posts
Please post back after you get the repair completed. Would like to know if your dealer, or another Porsche Service Center was able to complete the repairs for the price from repairpal.com recommended.

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Chow, man I really appreciate it! I just sent my SA email with links to Jim Ellis and other, if Porsche doesn't goodwill, indie is standing by. Again, thank you.

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Please post back after you get the repair completed. Would like to know if your dealer, or another Porsche Service Center was able to complete the repairs for the price from repairpal.com recommended.

I will, I'll post all details.

·
Super Moderator
13,989 Posts
Thanks Chow, man I really appreciate it! I just sent my SA email with links to Jim Ellis and other, if Porsche doesn't goodwill, indie is standing by. Again, thank you.
NP. The primary purpose of this forum is to help others. :) If you are a PCA member, ask for a PCA discount too. It won't hurt to ask.

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well got a call from SA at five this afternoon, car is ready to pickup, I'll have to do it tomorrow morning. Porsche picked up tab, my car was twelve days out of warranty and I just had done my 40K service, there's a charge of 68.00 for overnight and some odds and ends, I won't know till tomorrow when I get paperwork, which I'll post. The dealer had car since Monday, I didn't bother SA or anyone, not one call, as SA said he would follow up with Porsche personally, they gave me a 2015 Cayenne Diesel, which I've been driving since Monday afternoon.

Observations: guys if you plan on keeping your car, DEVELOP a good relationship with your service advisor, it's almost a must to do your scheduled services with dealer, why? Because if you develop issue and car is just out of warranty Porsche Goodwill is a wallet saver. I'm picking up car tomorrow morning, I miss driving my car, the Cayenne is very nice and luxurious, it reminds me of my friends BMW 750, ironically the"fasten seat belt chime" is the same as his BMW, but it's not for me. What did surprise me was the get up and go from the diesel V6, very impressive. From now on my CS will be visiting my indie mechanic. Oh, and Monday I'm passing by dealer to bring my old SA a bottle of wine.

I'll post paperwork tomorrow.

Reactions: chows4us

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
Well got a call from SA at five this afternoon, car is ready to pickup, I'll have to do it tomorrow morning. Porsche picked up tab, my car was twelve days out of warranty and I just had done my 40K service, there's a charge of 68.00 for overnight and some odds and ends, I won't know till tomorrow when I get paperwork, which I'll post. The dealer had car since Monday, I didn't bother SA or anyone, not one call, as SA said he would follow up with Porsche personally, they gave me a 2015 Cayenne Diesel, which I've been driving since Monday afternoon.

Observations: guys if you plan on keeping your car, DEVELOP a good relationship with your service advisor, it's almost a must to do your scheduled services with dealer, why? Because if you develop issue and car is just out of warranty Porsche Goodwill is a wallet saver. I'm picking up car tomorrow morning, I miss driving my car, the Cayenne is very nice and luxurious, it reminds me of my friends BMW 750, ironically the"fasten seat belt chime" is the same as his BMW, but it's not for me. What did surprise me was the get up and go from the diesel V6, very impressive. From now on my CS will be visiting my indie mechanic. Oh, and Monday I'm passing by dealer to bring my old SA a bottle of wine.

I'll post paperwork tomorrow.
I've posted the same observation on this forum on several occasions. As a very long time Porsche owner I've received several Goodwill repairs, and in two cases I was given Goodwill on cars that were out of warranty for over a year. There's a possibility that I would have been given Goodwill even if my cars were serviced by an Indy, but I believe that my chances of success are greater when I have a Porsche advocate making my case.

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My apologies for taking so long to give final results......... I get distracted easily.

Here's what I got from dealer tech:

"Customer states engine minor misfire- rooms erratik (sic) when idling
Cause: replaced binding high pressure pump, emissions as per pgat info"
1. 9A1-110-315-FX high pressure pump
2. 000-043-301-49 antifreeze (3.79 L)

03350053 onboard diagnostic
995 WP5
24631900 high pressure pump removed and reinstalled"

Second page

"43544 inspected vehicle. Created val and sent. Found no faults at this time. Test drove vehicle. Only thing found upon inspection was when vehicle is cold, vehicle intermittently has an extended crank. Found high pressure pump intermittently binding internally. Drained coolant. Replaced high pressure pump. Checked high pressure side with helium to insure tightness of system. System tight. Filled and bleed coolant system. Assembled vehicle. Problem no longer present at this time."

I guess the high pressure pump was about to go....that pump is $1700+, here is where the fun begins. I brought car home it feels more lively, now.......I've sprung a hydraulic steering rack leak! Oh man! Lol! I had just come off my 40K service and they didn't see leak or it formed after.

Well, I refuse to let a four year old car become a money pit....... I sold my beloved red tomato yesterday, so officially I'm out of the Porsche family. At least for now! I'm car shopping for a fun daily driver, I don't want a muscle car, or a Vette, I'm test driving an FRS and a BRZ to see what the hoopla is all about. If either of those don't work out , well my wife is due for a new Volvo, so I might keep hers now, get her a new one and take my time researching and shopping. Let's see where this new chapter takes me. I will be checking in to see how things are evolving around here, and I'll always be interested in Porsche motor sports, marketing and operations, so if I find something of interest to the community that's Porsche related I'll post. There's quite a number of folks I'd like to thank here: Ken what a site! You're so the man! Sixisenough, thanks for the info when I got my CS, Chow thanks for all your input specially in PMs, I really appreciate your help, super mod Mike R., please no more yellow strings! And of course BRO.....DO YOU EVEN SHIFT 981 FTW......midenginefan....keep the 914 rolling, Spencer, All the guys at Formula 1 thread, where is Interpol?, evil Weasel and his head pounding flat four thread! One of the best! Mr. Hassaan Abdeen you're a class act!, Budman, LG, Stan up in NH careful with the moose!, bodhii thanks for F1 posts....KCZ hope your Windows 10 worked out......
All of you make this site a wonderful place,........ I'll let you guys know what car I finally end up in. Truth be told, the hunt is half the fun!

Cheers!

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Hey Stratman. Sorry you're leaving the club. And I really mean that. I wish you the very best and hope you miss your Cayman so much you bounce right back. All the best.:cheers:

·
Registered
895 Posts
Sorry to see you go stratman and really sorry to hear of your 987.2 problems.

I expect better of a 987.2, but these kinds of problems (high dollar to fix) seem to be rare.

Best of luck,

Eddie

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
Good luck, Stratman, you are due! Sorry about the money pit. Reminds me of my 986, sigh. It can happen. Hope you keep us posted as you look around. Could be an "in recovery" thread ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts