Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 base boxster (chrono) and have been looking for winter wheels & tires. After much reading here (great resource and a huge thanks to all who contribute their knowledge and experience) I have settled on sport edition 4 17 rims (reasonable price and hard to find correct bolt pattern) with Nokian Hakks... various posts speak of 17 vs 18 etc and have listed 17's with either 215/55 front, 225/55 rear or 205/50 front, 245/45 rear for the hakks as working on the 987 boxster. Does any one know if tire rack sells the nokian hakks? (they are not listed on their web site but I have a call out to Jim, their resident expert)

Any help is greatly appreciated.

PS anyone bought a cheaper wheel crest off ebay? I would be intereted in hearing of your experriences.

Thanks and enjoy the fall folks - top down :dance:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I finally got through to tire rack - Jim was extremely helpful.... unfortunately they do not sell the nokian hakks and I have settled on those tires based on reviews here & elsewhere. However it is tough to beat the deals of tirerack so I will grab the wheels & TPMS etc from them - a note on the tpms... after reading here I would agree not so good to avoid the tpms on winters as there is no spare with the boxster... in speaking with my local dealer they wanted approx. $1300cdn for the tpms... ouch!!!! Tuner works in Calgary told me $425 all in... tirerack (even with USD vs. Cdn) beats that and I am pleased to support tirerack as they offer an amazing resource.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've got Hakkas on my winter car (Honda Element) and they are simply spectacular. Just took delivery on my Boxster yesterday (05 w/4730miles) and even though I had not planned at all to have her on the roads in the winter, I'm thinking about it. Here in NY there's a tire store that sells them who I'm more than happy to do business with, and for the extra couple of hundred you'll get a tire (tyre) that'll not just outperform blizzaks, but will last twice as long. Just want to reassure you that they are worth the extra cost.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey thanks for the post - I did pick up the nokian hakks - I got 17" sportedition cup 4 rims from tire rack with the tpms (who was kind enough to mount the tpms even though I did not buy tires also) then I got the hakks from Kal tire about $1200 for 4 mounted etc.... I have not put them on the boxster yet but they look like awesome tires... loads of sips, great tread, soft/sticky but with some substance... I almost hate to say it but I almost look forward to snow!!! Thanks for the input

Cheers.

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
I got the hakks from Kal tire about $1200 for 4 mounted etc.
Hey soupnanny, I got the same tires as you from Kal Tire for the same price last winter. I have them on my Cayman.

They're better tires then the Porsche OE recommend winter tires (ContiWinterSports) in deep snow (I've never got stuck even on the steepest hills) however.... they squirm around a lot more than the Porsche OE tires on dry pavement and you need to be careful doing a quick lane change or a hard entry into a turn. Not that you need to be driving like this, but if you are a 'spirited driver' on cold dry roads in the winter the Hakks are definitely a compromise - all those sips move around a lot underneath you. Come deep snow though they're great!

A few pics from my car.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts