Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For me, this is just a post of curiousity and not of a desire to get attention.

This is my first 'real' sports car. At 31, I've owned a new at time Mustang GT when the 95 model came out, then a new 04' Infiniti G35, all decent cars. But the Porsche was my first car that I considered the next level so to speak.

Anyway, I live in Santa Barbara, CA. At times, the top 2 or 3 most expensive places to live. (I'm not rich. lol) So there are tons of Porsches, Mercedes, Ferraries, everything you can think of.

I wasn't quite sure the reaction I'd get from buying a CS and that's not why I bought it but I did think I'd get a few more looks than I do. It's great on dates etc, but I only get looks that I notice at least, a couple times a week if that.

This is more a question of demographics because having grown up here my whole life, I was used to these cars everywhere. when I've traveled inland, I noticed there are far far fewer so I imagine that if you were in say, West Virginia where I recently visited, it would be getting a bit more attention.

I'm just curious about the response to this. Again, this post is not about me desiring attention, rather curiousity of how this car is interpreted in different demographics..

BTW, this car gets more fun every day I've owned it. New exhaust is being installed in a couple weeks. Can't wait.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I get loads of looks, a lot from young ladies (why didn't I buy this when I was young and single?) and also teenage boys that are truly enthralled by the car. But I live in Pennsatucky and probably the only Porsche in town... the cows and sheep also stare at my car as I whizz by them :hilarious:

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I get loads of looks, a lot from young ladies (why didn't I buy this when I was young and single?) and also teenage boys that are truly enthralled by the car. But I live in Pennsatucky and probably the only Porsche in town... the cows and sheep also stare at my car as I whizz by them :hilarious:
I'm young and single damn it! Well, 31 is still kinda young right!

·
Registered
125 Posts
If you are 31 and are enjoying a Porsche, you are a very lucky fellow! I bought my '08 Cayman (a lightly used one with 265 miles on it for $39.9K) last November). I'm 50 years old. I didn't buy it for the stares, but I thought at least people would take notice. I'm a bit disappointed most don't, especially on the highway. Teenage boys stop in their tracks when they see it. I've had a 30 year-old woman ask me why I didn't get a Corvette instead! I asked her whether she ever drove a Corvette. She said no. I told her to drive a "vette" and a Cayman and then she'll know why I bought the Cayman!

Whether anyone looks at my Cayman or not...I do. I enjoy driving it. I enjoy looking at it. I even enjoy babying it. It's a friggin' Porsche! I wanted one my whole life, and now I have one. No, it's not a "S", but it's paid for and it's mine! :cheers:

·
Registered
329 Posts
...So there are tons of Porsches, Mercedes, Ferraries, everything you can think of.
West Los Angeles, the Westside is full of car bling. I am middle age, but every once in a while girls will engage, and the probably don't know a Cayman from a 4S price wise.

BTW, this car gets more fun every day I've owned it. New exhaust is being installed in a couple weeks. Can't wait.
I wish TPC could pull it together for a CARB cert on their turbo. You might see how long that might be before you do the exhaust. Had the CS about two years and like it better every day.

·
Middle-Aged Porsche Punk
999 Posts
Yup, all the time.
More notice from other people with nice cars, usually older folks, than from the under 30's, who, at least in the local area, tend to be so wrapped up in their own awesomeness that they can't see 10 feet in front of themselves. Occasionally, I do get the youngsters in minivans opening their windows and taking cellphone pix of my car sitting at the light.

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
I just wish I could see it while driving. I spend a great deal of effort keeping the car clean, it must look brilliant rolling down the street, all I ever see is the cabin. :(

·
Registered
47 Posts
i live in so-cal (orange county, la, etc), and honestly, everyone here (except for a few) has their heads up their own butts so far they cant come to appreciate anything. only the true enthusiasts give me looks and a thumbs up. otherwise if your not driving a f430 drop top with a bombshell in the passenger seat, you aint getting any looks here.

But in the end we all love our cars and we didnt buy it for the sake of others. :cheers:

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'm 24, I just bought a 2011 and so far, i get tons of looks. I'm in the valley too. In california there's tons of porsches though, so it's certainly going to be less crazy than it would be in another state. Couple of kids actually called it out too, "Is that a Cayman S? Hot car." I was impressed, considering they didn't see the backside and just saw the brake calipers :p

·
PCA Member & National DE Instructor
63 Posts
I actually get tons of looks in my 07' CS. Young, old, male, or female, they all seem to take notice. I get more looks at the CS then the 911.

2007 Cayman S

2009 911 Turbo Cab

·
Registered
607 Posts
As far as dates/friends go, I came from humble means, so I always want to see what peoples motives are, which is why I tend to not be entirely truthful about what I really do for a living and where I live, until I have known them beyond a certain point. The very fact that you are driving a new Porsche means you are doing better than most people (financially), so throw a few curve balls at people about your position to see the true motives of people that come across your way.

As far as looks, I barely drive my car that much, but there are plenty of lookers!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I definitely had a few friends of girlfriends that wanted a date or to meet me immediately regardless of not knowing anything about me.

Of course that's an immediate no from me.

I bought my car for one main reason. I wake up every day thinking about running errands just because it means driving the CS. :cheers:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Everybody checks it out. Can you blame them? I love being a jerk about it when it comes to beautiful women who probably would not be looking at you if it were not for the car. They normally get nothing more than a smirk out of me or no acknowledgement at all. You seem to get the most amount of attention at the gas station. When I drove a super super clean stock '94 Z28 before the Cayman, guys would approach all the time to talk to you about it. I think most people think Porsche owners are d*cks so they say nothing at all but look you over much much more than before. I still think that many P Car drivers carry themselves like they are movie directors or some such, but that's just me. I would generally never compliment a P Car owner because of the a-hole factor (So. California), unless it was a Cayman. I just never see one that often, except for the freeway.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I'm 32 years old and live in the Bay Area of Northern CA. There are plenty of 911's crusing around, which is one of the reasons why I wanted something "different." The 911 style is timeless, but it has lost it's wow factor (unless of course you are in a GT3/GT2). I've always been a fan of 911's but I fell in love with the Cayman styling when I saw it in person for the first time in Germany 2005. This was outside the factory in Zuffenhausen. I still have the "spy" photos I took of that yellow CS. At that point I promised myself I would buy one.

I get tons of looks in my '08 CS Sport with factory GT2 bucket seats. I think it's because of the black decals and accents. Even at the local Cayman meet ups I have people asking me about my wheels and where I got them painted. So that just tells me that not too many people know about the limited edition Sport model.

My favorite story is when I took my car down to Carmel near Pebble Beach. I parked my car in front of some boutiques on the main street. A few minutes later while I was across the street, I saw a family posing for a photo in front of my car! :hilarious: I'm glad my car made it into someone's vacation slide show!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Best part about it is it's mine all mine and I never get tired of its simple 1964ish look, wiping it clean of every drop of water, looking at the reflection of the flawless black hood paint, the black luggage net and silver handle through the back window, the saddle tan interior and knowing that if Goldfinger was made today, Bond would drive this car. It's not an ultra modern looking design but it is incredibly tasteful and elegant from every angle. It could not have been improved upon in any way and in my opinion, the greatest looking and driving car ever built. Why do we all love it so much? I think it's the best toy I ever had. Better than my Schwinn Stingray, my original 12 Hot Wheels cars or my perfect 1970's era Bally Pinball Machine. I just grin when I see mine and think "man, the only thing that looks better than this was that curvy blonde back in the 12th grade". Ahhhhh.........Some of you bald, beard rubbing intellectual types may try to deny this, but alot of you know exactly what I'm talking about.

1 - 20 of 104 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.