Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this week I have fitted the DOF for the IMS, a centre third radiator and the lower temperature thermostat to my 2007 Cayman S! let's hope it's a bit more bullet proof! on removing the outer seal of the IMS bearing I found all the grease had been washed out, I couldn't see it lasting another 20k without proper lubrication.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Sounds like some sound future-proofing. You may want to also consider using Millers Nanotech 5W/40 engine oil as recommended by Hartech. It is preported to reduce friction which is only a good thing. Been using it myself for the last couple of oil changes.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Removed IMS bearing outer seal last week on my 2007 Cayman S as well; found the bearing internal exactly as you described as well. I closed up the IMS with the outer seal out; I figure splash lubrication will do its work. My only concern is that IMS shaft itself will start accumulating engine oil after awhile. TuneRS DOF is on purchase. Going to install that on my next clutch change.

KM

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Sorry to hi-jack this. Does the DOF have downside? I remember reading quite a few posts here before and couldn't really figure out the conclusion.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I had the same concern and heard th

1) What if the bearing back seal gives away and engine oil freely flows into the IMS shaft since the front seal is not there anymore (by Gator Bite)
2) The steel bearing balls are not designed for lubrication (hydro-planning) by engine oil, the same way as ceramic ball bearing are; metal bearings require lubricant with much lower viscosity/more solidity (one of PCA chapter opinion articles)
3) The molecular composition of engine oil will gradually deteriorate bearing performance (another forum participant with bearing design background)

·
Registered
46 Posts
I installed the DOF as well. My IMS bearing also had no grease left - just engine oil.

Given there is no grease left in the bearing, and there is only oil in there; we really have no other option than to ensure it keeps getting lubricated with oil. We cannot easily replace our bearing or prevent oil from entering the bearing.

With th the DOF you are maximizing the amount of filtered and cooled oil the bearing receives. To me, this is better than just leaving the bearing alone and hoping the little bit of oil which gets past the seal provides adequate lubrication.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts