Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After recently removing the door trim and posting a video I was asked about the trim warping issue that occurs in this car and other models including the 911. I thought I'd remove the trim again (about a 3 minute process) and take a look.

I did a bunch of reading to find out what the problem actually was and how it occurred. It didn't sound like warping but more a delamination problem. The trim is a sandwich of vinyl (outside), foam (middle) and hard plastic (inside). The foam is glued to the hard plastic on the inside and it's this bond that fails allowing the foam to delaminate from the plastic.

On my trim I found a very small amount of delamination at the rear edge of the trim (near where the door latches to the car chassis). I fixed this using some contact adhesive. I thankfully didn't find any delamination on the top edge where most seem to have this problem. Using a contact adhesive like I did would be a simple fix for this.

I did do a preventative fix so that hopefully it won't ever happen. I live in the pretty hot and humid area, which is where this problems seems to happen most often. Hopefully it won't now.

Additionally I did find an issue that I haven't seen anybody talk about before. The rear of the top edge of the trim seemed to lift very easily. I was always was a bit confused about this, as it never seemed to fit the adjoining trim correctly and I considered it to be very un-Porsche-like. I'd seen this issue in pictures online before but never seen anyone mention it. Fixing it is reasonably simple and now the trim sits down much better.

Attached video shows the problems and what I've done.

·
Registered
484 Posts
In some cases the underlying plastic also warps. Ours is a bit like that so even though the foam layer has been secured to the plastic it does not lie quite as flat as it should. It seems like others have experienced worse warping.

·
Registered
5,441 Posts
After recently removing the door trim and posting a video I was asked about the trim warping issue that occurs in this car and other models including the 911. I thought I'd remove the trim again (about a 3 minute process) and take a look.

I did a bunch of reading to find out what the problem actually was and how it occurred. It didn't sound like warping but more a delamination problem. The trim is a sandwich of vinyl (outside), foam (middle) and hard plastic (inside). The foam is glued to the hard plastic on the inside and it's this bond that fails allowing the foam to delaminate from the plastic.

On my trim I found a very small amount of delamination at the rear edge of the trim (near where the door latches to the car chassis). I fixed this using some contact adhesive. I thankfully didn't find any delamination on the top edge where most seem to have this problem. Using a contact adhesive like I did would be a simple fix for this.

I did do a preventative fix so that hopefully it won't ever happen. I live in the pretty hot and humid area, which is where this problems seems to happen most often. Hopefully it won't now.

Additionally I did find an issue that I haven't seen anybody talk about before. The rear of the top edge of the trim seemed to lift very easily. I was always was a bit confused about this, as it never seemed to fit the adjoining trim correctly and I considered it to be very un-Porsche-like. I'd seen this issue in pictures online before but never seen anyone mention it. Fixing it is reasonably simple and now the trim sits down much better.

Attached video shows the problems and what I've done.

Just a note for your comments at 2:27 in the video, as you point out the plastic is perforated on that edge, your plan is to seal this or strengthen this area... but from your comment about that the air-bag sits here, I suspect that these perforations are actually required to be there and designed to break when the air-bag is deployed in the event of an impact.

I would be very cautious before making any repair and thereby hindering the deployment of that essential protection device...

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In some cases the underlying plastic also warps. Ours is a bit like that so even though the foam layer has been secured to the plastic it does not lie quite as flat as it should. It seems like others have experienced worse warping.
I was unaware that the plastic could warp. The only information I'd seen online about the problem was the delamination I talked about.
Maybe warming with a heat gun and bending back into shape might be an option.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would be very cautious before making any repair and thereby hindering the deployment of that essential protection device...
I couldn't agree more.

Having looked at wrecks where this airbag has deployed and how the trim folds when it deploys I'm happy with the fix not impeding this. I'm clearly not going to test it and what I've done is an educated guess. In the end if someone is going to attempt a fix they need to be happy it isn't going to impede airbag operation.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I couldn't agree more.

Having looked at wrecks where this airbag has deployed and how the trim folds when it deploys I'm happy with the fix not impeding this. I'm clearly not going to test it and what I've done is an educated guess. In the end if someone is going to attempt a fix they need to be happy it isn't going to impede airbag operation.
I, too, agree with this position. Any DIY fix here is going to be purely at the judgement of the person doing the fix and the owner. I will say that anyone who has seen an airbag deploy knows there are seriously high forces at play here. Do some searching over on YouTube and you'll find a plethora of videos. One showed an airbag lifting a car and denting the metal belly pan. Personally, I'd be more concerned with fixes that involved hard objects like rivets and plates, but not because they'd prevent airbag deployment, but because they could then become projectiles sent into the occupants. Would glue/adhesive only repairs be an issue? You'll need to make your own call here, but I know what I'm thinking.

·
Registered
118 Posts
This is the reason why my 981 was my first and last Porsche, I paid 86,000 for mine and have had this happened to me, totally unacceptable.

·
Registered
118 Posts
$86K You must have ordered all the bells and whistles?
Yes unfortunately ordered with tons of options such as sports chrono that stopped working and dealer won't do anything because I was just out of warranty, same thing with door panel warping dealer won't do anything because I was out of warranty, like I said before I will never buy another Porsche again poor quality at least on my 981.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My repair is unchanged from when it was done. No problems at all. At this stage there is nothing I would have done differently.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks. Mind also telling me the name of the green “tape“ you used to hold the trim foam and door shell together? I’m planning on starting my repair next week.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The tape is something I picked up from ebay. Spec is a nylon polypropylene webbing 25mm wide and 0.35mm thick.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts