Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
TWINS - remember the Danny Devito Arnold Schwarzenegger movie?

[/IMG]

Cayman and his great great grandfather, the

Ur Buckelwagen Roadster

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)

Had the Spyder 550 and the Cayman both out today, a fine spring day, with temp in the 70's. Great to compare the handling technology, some 60 years apart.

With no techno- nannies, and less precise steering, and piercing growl from the exhaust of the Spyder, the Cayman was very restful in comparison, if incredibly more precise, and fast.

mike

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Mike,

I love your 550 Spyder. The color and interior look classic it is just simply gorgeous.

dave-t

·
Enjoying the drive.
1,265 Posts
Those are nice.

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the spyder is a replica.

actually handles wonderfully compared to its period peers.

mike

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
the spyder is a replica.

actually handles wonderfully compared to its period peers.

mike
The Spyder handles well on smooth roads at relatively low speeds. Watch out for snap oversteer, but still loads of fun. At over 100 mph this car is big time scary.

·
Premium Member
3,495 Posts
Had the Spyder 550 and the Cayman both out today, a fine spring day, with temp in the 70's. Great to compare the handling technology, some 60 years apart.

With no techno- nannies, and less precise steering, and piercing growl from the exhaust of the Spyder, the Cayman was very restful in comparison, if incredibly more precise, and fast.

photo at:

Picasa Web Albums - 10759287127420206... - Feb 1, 2010

mike
Mike:

Is that a REAL 550 Spyder? It's a Beck, right? Not a real one, right? Tell me it's not a real Spyder. Cripes, I love those things. I saw a bunch of them at the Brian Redman vintage race at R/A about 20 years ago and they were my favorite cars of the whole day including the Birdcage Masers. I think they cost around 3 skillion bucks back then.

Please adopt me. I'm an excellent driver. :cheers:

·
Registered
48 Posts
I saw a real 550 in a shop recently after it had suffered a small fire. It was beautiful, but the Beck is probably better built.

Steve
06 CS
84 911 Targa

·
Registered
490 Posts
Old Blue - I imagine it's all relative depending on how you value money, but I see the 550 Replicas online (haven't seen one in person yet) for $15-30k. Since you own one, would you say the quality is up to par with a car costing that much? Are the materials/finish/clicks and thuds as you'd expect?

Could you describe the car as refined in any way (keeping in mind what it is)? Would love to hear a write-up regarding your driving impressions and ownership experience. I browse the 550 and 356 replicas for sale weekly...

·
Registered
360 Posts
I too have often thought of adding a replica 550 Spyder to the stable for fun. I reckon it would bridge the gap between cars and motorbikes rather nicely.

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Well, you'll note from the photo, that this is not the four cam engine, but it drives the SPYDER, alias UR CAYMAN ROADSTER quite nicely.

Consider 1250 pounds, 150 to 160 horsepower versus 295 horsepower and over 3000 pounds.

unfortunately, I can't post side by side comparison pics of the two engines, as I have been unable to find the Cayman's engine despite looking under both bonnets repeatedly.

An interesting side note, the 550 SPYDER coupes prepared for the 1956 Lemans race were nicknamed
Buckelwagen, German for Hunchback car.

None survive; all were thought to have been lost in competition crashes.

mike

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Old Blue - I imagine it's all relative depending on how you value money, but I see the 550 Replicas online (haven't seen one in person yet) for $15-30k. Since you own one, would you say the quality is up to par with a car costing that much? Are the materials/finish/clicks and thuds as you'd expect?

Could you describe the car as refined in any way (keeping in mind what it is)? Would love to hear a write-up regarding your driving impressions and ownership experience. I browse the 550 and 356 replicas for sale weekly...
If you don't mind, I'll jump in here and give you my impressions.

I had my Beck Spyder for 7 years and I would highly recommend the experience to any car person. It was quick (felt as fast as my Cayman S to about 70 -80 mph) supple ride and no rattles that you can hear above the engine/exhaust noise. This car does not beat you to death on the road, but it is very loud! There is a certain amount of cowl shake but after a few miles it is not noticeable. Maybe it's a Morgan thing.

If you buy new from one of the three US suppliers count on doing a fair amount of re-engineering before the car is reliable. There is a very active community at SpyderClub.com (or was) where any question you have can be answered. Lots of after market stuff to make a rather plain as delivered car look fabulous. My car got to a best is show category at about year six. Your best bet is to find one that a real enthusiast has brought to perfection and buy it from him. You will pay much less than it cost him to get the car to that point but it still won't be cheap..

If you look at a $15,000 car you will be disappointed. Expect to pay closer to $30,000 for something you can be proud of. At near $40,000 you are looking at a turbo Suby powered monster. Probably way over the top.

In all the years of my ownership I did not hear of a single accident with injuries, but one serious off road in one of these and your dead, literally!

Yes, I do miss it sometimes... until I get in the Cayman.

One more thing. The local club (Niagara Region, PCA) was very accepting of this replica, none of this "it aint a real Porsche" stuff.

Good luck

·
Premium Member
3,495 Posts
If you don't mind, I'll jump in here and give you my impressions.

I had my Beck Spyder for 7 years and I would highly recommend the experience to any car person. It was quick (felt as fast as my Cayman S to about 70 -80 mph) supple ride and no rattles that you can hear above the engine/exhaust noise. This car does not beat you to death on the road, but it is very loud! There is a certain amount of cowl shake but after a few miles it is not noticeable. Maybe it's a Morgan thing.

If you buy new from one of the three US suppliers count on doing a fair amount of re-engineering before the car is reliable. There is a very active community at SpyderClub.com (or was) where any question you have can be answered. Lots of after market stuff to make a rather plain as delivered car look fabulous. My car got to a best is show category at about year six. Your best bet is to find one that a real enthusiast has brought to perfection and buy it from him. You will pay much less than it cost him to get the car to that point but it still won't be cheap..

If you look at a $15,000 car you will be disappointed. Expect to pay closer to $30,000 for something you can be proud of. At near $40,000 you are looking at a turbo Suby powered monster. Probably way over the top.

In all the years of my ownership I did not hear of a single accident with injuries, but one serious off road in one of these and your dead, literally!

Yes, I do miss it sometimes... until I get in the Cayman.

One more thing. The local club (Niagara Region, PCA) was very accepting of this replica, none of this "it aint a real Porsche" stuff.

Good luck

There isn't a lot to either the Becks or the real ones. Comparing the Beck to the vintage one is kind of difficult. The body panels on the real ones are hand pounded affairs as I remember and they have a lot of hand work to them that's really neat to see. They also have the 4 cam engines and the ones at RA were running straight pipes and sounded great. I think I remember velocity stacks on the carbs too. Maybe not.

Anyway, they were the class of the 4 day show. Other cars, like the Birdcage Maser are also amazing to see just for the work in them. All these cars are light and scary to drive fast, but I think alignment can be tweaked to make them a little more stable at speed. The chassis aren't that rigid, so they don't take well to fat tires and such. They're just lovely cars and look like a ball to drive.

I've been to the national vintage event in England at Silverstone. This is sort of like Goodwood without the glitz. Lots and lots of seriously valuable and curious machinery and just as curious safety rules and nutty owners and drivers in the pits. I saw all aluminum hand pounded D type Jags, real 1930's Bentley roadsters and lots of makes I'd never heard of before or since. There is a class of open roadster that resembles soap box derby racers...little spoked bicycle sized wheels and all...with 100HP. Met a guy who had a motor home with a giant tent attached. He was serving brunch and champagne to anyone who entered. Had one of these little cars with body covered in blue leather...original (!!) that he was so proud of. He was showing my friend, a local, some pieces he'd paid thousands of Pounds to have made by local toolmakers for the rear-end of this thing. The inside had a bench seat for one and was totally oily and nearly gross...like I remember my BSA being. Those Brits just don't seem to know how to make oil tight castings.

Back to the tent area where a circle of friends had gathered with their Mimosas. One big guy, over 6 feet, was not driving this year because he was still healing up from a broken neck he suffered in a crash from the season before. Did I mention that the only safety equipment required was a lap belt and leather helmet? Blimey!

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
unfortunately, I can't post side by side comparison pics of the two engines, as I have been unable to find the Cayman's engine despite looking under both bonnets repeatedly.

Mike, that is :hilarious:

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
They also have the 4 cam engines and the ones at RA were running straight pipes and sounded great.

Almost all of the 550 Spyders and all of the follow on versions (RS K etc) had the 4 cam engine. But the very first couple of 550's had a reworked VW power plant so a replica owner can actually claim that his car is period "correct".

I did say LOUD but I should also have said "glorious at full tilt"

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'll put together a description of driving the spyder later.

The stinger exhaust is loud !

And wild !

You recall the old maxell tape commercials with the kid in the chair with
his hair blown back by the music ?

That's what it's like after I finish a good run in the spyder - sensory overload, but what incredible pleasure.

The thrill in driving the cayman is more like a sense of technical accomplishment, a striving for perfection on the hills and very winding roads where I live. Definitely not an all out pursuit of speed given the talents of the car.

The spyder, though, requires more thinking because of its limitations.

mike

1 - 18 of 18 Posts