Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am hoping to get some reassurance. I have a 2007 Cayman, I love it.

I was wondering if the following situation is normal.

If I am driving the car, in second gear and slowing down before a red light. If I push in the clutch completely, and if I shift into 1st gear(with the clutch completely engaged), I can hear/feel(very slightly), that the car has gone into first. Is this normal? The tach doesn't go up, it is just that I feel 1st gear coming into play.. This is my first manual car, so I have nothing to go by.

Is this something I should look into? Tell the dealer?

Thanks.

·
Registered
317 Posts
You are feeling exactly what you should feel. You are feeling the synchronizer syncing into gear.

You can remove that feeling by double clutching. That is, depressing the clutch and shifting into neutral and then releasing the clutch. Then depress the clutch again and shift into desired gear.

Or even more fun. Do a search on "Heel and Toe" if you don't already know about it.

Enjoy your car.

·
Porscheholic
724 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
FWIW for manuals I rarely shift into 1st if the car is moving. The exceptions being if the car is moving very slowly, and on an incline, or maybe on ice/snow. For everything else, leave it in second until I come to a complete stop.

·
Premium Member
1,688 Posts
+1

As suhkoi pointed out, what you are feeling is normal. Similar to xdamage, I generally do not shift into 1st until I come close to stopping. Another rule of thumb I follow is that if it doesn't slip into 1st easily, I'll throw it into 2nd.

-Moto

FWIW for manuals I rarely shift into 1st if the car is moving. The exceptions being if the car is moving very slowly, and on an incline, or maybe on ice/snow. For everything else, leave it in second until I come to a complete stop.

·
Middle-Aged Porsche Punk
999 Posts
At a red light I put it in neutral and take my foot off the clutch.
Then slip it into first when the light turns green.

Shifting into first while rolling does wear the syncro.
And sitting at a light with the clutch depressed does wear the throw out bearing.
+2 on those.

I still have yet to master heel and toe. Shouldn't be such a big deal, I have size 11 feet. Just not real flexible.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.