Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have had bmw, mercedes and mostly performance cars. I could have posted this on other forums but felt that this forum has the most logical, experienced and educated members,
I have 3 kids going to college within 5 years. I want to downsize now and minimize some costs.

Have a new toyota sienna minivan for kids, wife and dogs -home depot errands
Have a 2011 bmw 328xi with 40K miles fun toy car for me and wife and kids can fit in back seat fine.
Have a 2014 e350 mercedes, amg package with 37000 miles
Have a 2015 BGTS with 12k miles has all the options and window sticker was 87000 new--manual transmission.

the monthly payment for the mercedes and porsche is the same $750 and the loan ends in "about" 3 years for both

I owe 33K on the porsche and the dealer said 60K for the porsche
Trade in for mercedes is 22K from mercedes dealer and I owe 22K on the car

Which one would you sell to the dealer?

thanks for looking...

·
Registered
703 Posts
If I was in your place, I'd sell the Merc and the BMW. Or the wife and kids

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
87 Posts
If you can afford it, I'd drop one of the sedans. Whichever is going to fare better out of warranty.

If you need to save even more, drop the BGTS.

The youngest of my 3 kids just left for college. I have a 2004 4Runner for bad winter weather and when the kids are home from school, and a 2014 CS for all other times.

I traded away a 2015 S4 to get the Cayman. You could keep one of the sedans until they leave for school, and then go back to a 2-seater. (like I did)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the bmw is the beater car and is paid off and actually a very fun car to drive. Wife and kids, well have too much time invested and I dont want to hear the word alimony.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Your asking for opinions so keep in mind this is a Porsche forum.

I would unload everything but the BGTS and would buy a Macan as the daily driver. You’ll find it fun even when doing chores and then you and your spouse can enjoy touring in the Boxster when the opportunity arises.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
186 Posts
So I have had bmw, mercedes and mostly performance cars. I could have posted this on other forums but felt that this forum has the most logical, experienced and educated members,
I have 3 kids going to college within 5 years. I want to downsize now and minimize some costs.

Have a new toyota sienna minivan for kids, wife and dogs -home depot errands
Have a 2011 bmw 328xi with 40K miles fun toy car for me and wife and kids can fit in back seat fine.
Have a 2014 e350 mercedes, amg package with 37000 miles
Have a 2015 BGTS with 12k miles has all the options and window sticker was 87000 new--manual transmission.

the monthly payment for the mercedes and porsche is the same $750 and the loan ends in "about" 3 years for both

I owe 33K on the porsche and the dealer said 60K for the porsche
Trade in for mercedes is 22K from mercedes dealer and I owe 22K on the car

Which one would you sell to the dealer?

thanks for looking...
Since your effort it to downsize and to minimize your depreciating assets, to me it's pretty obvious the Boxster is the first that needs to go. No question. That's where you're going to get the biggest downsizing bang for your buck.

·
Registered
34 Posts
If we're talking strictly money- then selling the Porsche would make sense. From a functional perspective, I'd probably sell the Merc since you already have a 4 door sedan that you don't want to get rid of (BMW). At that point, you have the big family car, the sedan, and the sports car.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
What I would do ...

1. Go to the Porsche dealer and test drive 718 Boxster/Cayman - same difference. If you are entertained and love the performance, sell BGTS and the Benz. Come back some years later and get another one then.

2. If you can't stand 718 ... well, let's just say you are up the you-know-what creek without a paddle. :)

Good luck!

·
Registered
238 Posts
I would dump the Porsche. Your oldest kid may need a beater for school and you can give them the BMW to trash. You can drive the Benz until you evaluate the cost of sending 3 kids to college.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Well, it's obvious you need to get rid of either the benz or Porsche (or both?) if you want to save money. The Porsche would save you more, but the benz has awful reliability on that year, for what I've read, and warranty will expire first, so I'd either get rid of the benz first, or both, if needed. Good luck.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all the honest perspectives. As for getting rid of the porsche to then wait and get the new 718 in a few years. I just cant justify paying over 85K for a 4 cylinder. I know i could get a nice used 911 in a few years but I drove that car many times before getting the GTS and it was just to big.

I need the toyota minivan for utility, so I appreciate the comments about already having 2 sedans and letting the merc go. I am going to a porsche dealer on monday instead of the merc dealer where I have bought a lot of my cars Bobby Rahal Automotive Group | Mechanicsburg, Pittsburgh & Lewistown Dealerships New Acura, BMW, Honda, Jaguar, Land Rover, Mercedes-Benz, Scion, Smart, Toyota, Volvo
to see what their trade in is.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
is the only vehicle that holds luggage, children and a dog and is more comfortable that my merc and my previous 5 series bmw. it is also registered as a company car, thus had no choice...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Since the BMW is older, sell it, payoff the the Mercedes. You could rewrite the loan on the BGTS to a 5 or 6 year loan lowering your monthly payment. You would eliminate one payment and lower the other.

Food for thought. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Thanks for all the honest perspectives. As for getting rid of the porsche to then wait and get the new 718 in a few years. I just cant justify paying over 85K for a 4 cylinder. I know i could get a nice used 911 in a few years but I drove that car many times before getting the GTS and it was just to big.
Yep, just as I thought. Up the you-know-what-creek without a paddle :)

I could be in similar situation at any point in the future and have same conundrum - as Jewish saying goes (kinda, sorta :) ) "Men plan, Gods laugh their asses off". My basically new daily driver is paid 100%, I still have car payment on Cayman. Yet, if I get rid of Cayman, I will never be able to buy a Porsche again without winning a lottery*. And then I would buy Singer instead. I would have hard time buying used car of any brand, so that is a big restriction as well. I do understand OP's predicament.

I truly wish you best of luck in solving this conundrum without regretting what you did 6 months later.

EDIT (for clarity) : Porsche doesn't make anymore anything under at least $125,000 (pending release of pricing for 982 GT4) that I am interested in buying because of turbocharged engines.

·
PCA Nat'l DE Instructor
1,901 Posts
This one's easy. I'd sell both the Porsche and the Mercedes. First things first. Education is an investment in your childrens' futures. Cars are just depreciating assets. IMHO.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Reactions: chows4us
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.