Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

by: Carmona Red

Description: INSTALLATION OF DREAM 1 DUAL RADIUS EXHAUST ACCUMULATOR MODEL 1FOR BOXSTERS/CAYMANSOBJECTIVE: Replace the stock exhaust T accumulator with a more efficient unit.NOTE: Be prepared to remove the right rear tire/wheel. You need access to the mufflers so you may wish to use a car lift, ramps or grease pit to access the muffler/exhaust area.Required Tools:Clean ragBlack felt tip penSpray penetrating lubricant3/8 or 1/2 drive socket ratchet15 mm deep socket or wrench13 mm deep socket or wrench10 mm socket or wrenchTorx # 25 bit and driverLarge blade screwdriver9-10” drive extension3” drive extensionREMOVING STOCK T EXHAUST ACCUMULATOR1. Unbolt, remove and lay to one side the exhaust tip.2. With a clean rag wipe off dirt and grime from the two clamp bolts of the T exhaust accumulator and the two bolts of the top exhaust connecting tube clamp. Also remove dirt from both exhaust and top connecting tube(s) as you must be able to slide the T exhaust accumulator and top connecting tube clamp in order to remove the T exhaust accumulator.3. With a black felt tip pen mark the ends of the T exhaust accumulator and the clamps on the top connecting tube. These marks will help you align (center) the exhaust accumulator and top tube clamp when you install the new DREAM 1 exhaust accumulator.4. Spray penetrating lubricant on the (2) T exhaust accumulator clamp bolts and the (2) top connecting tube clamp nuts.5. Loosen the (2) T exhaust accumulator nuts so it will rotate up and down and slide back and forth on the exhaust tubes. Figure 5.6. Loosen the (2) nuts on the top connecting tube clamp so the clamp will slide back and forth on the connecting tubes.7. Slide the exhaust accumulator and the top connecting tube clamp to the left as far as possible.8. In front of each muffler, on the header side, is a large hose type clamp approximately 7” in diameter with a bolt at the bottom. This clamp(s) holds the muffler(s) to the mounting bracket(s) that supportthe muffler(s). Loosen, but do not remove, the bolt in each of these muffler hose type clamps and slip the clamps forward away from the muffler and let them hang loose. Figures1 & 2.9. Remove the right rear wheel in order to gain access to the right exhaust pipe header flange which must be disconnected in order to provide sufficient clearance to remove the T exhaust accumulator.Remove the small black plastic mud shield to the upper right of the disk brake assembly in order to gain access to the three nuts on the exhaust pipe header nuts. Spray penetrating lubricant on the three nuts of the exhaust header pipe flange connection. Remove the three nuts from the exhaust header pipe flange. Using the blade screwdriver lift the exhaust pipe off the three header flange bolts so that it can be moved. Figures 3 & 4.(It would he helpful to have an assistant hold the right loose exhaust header pipe and move the exhaust pipe as needed to make the following exhaust disconnect/connections)10. Push the left and right muffler assemblies apart (toward the outside) as far as possible. Slide the top connecting tube clamp to the left as far as possible. Slip the top connecting tube out of the connecting tube clamp. Slide the T exhaust accumulator to the right on the exhaust pipe as far as possible. Jiggle/tilt rotate the right muffler assembly/exhaust pipe downward to the right as far as possible and slip the T exhaust accumulator off the exhaust pipe.INSTALLING NEW DREAM 1 DUAL RADIUS EXHAUST ACCUMULATOR MODEL 11. Clean the ends of the two exhaust pipe ends and ends of the top connecting tubes to remove any exhaust build up.2. Spray a penetrating lubricant to the exhaust pipe ends and ends of the top connecting tubes to ease assembly.3. Push/move the left and right muffler pipe(s) assemblies apart toward the outside.4. Slip the new Dream 1 clamps over the ends of the left and right exhaust pipes. Slide the right end of the new DREAM 1 exhaust accumulator over the right exhaust pipe as far as possible. Next rotate the DREAM 1 and right muffler assembly upward to connect with the left exhaust pipe and slide the left exhaust pipe into the left end of the DREAM 1 exhaust accumulator. At the same time align the top connecting tubes and slide the connecting tube clamp over both ends of the top connecting tube(s). Slide the new DREAM 1 clamps over the ends of the DREAM 1 accumulator with the nuts facing the rear.5. Press/pull each of the mufflers against their mounting bracket and tighten the large hose type clamp(s) that holds the muffler(s) to their mounting bracket.6. Align (center) the top connecting tube clamp over the ends of the top connecting tube and snug (not tight) the nuts.7. Align (center) the new DREAM 1 exhaust accumulator and snug (not tight) the clamp nuts8. Slip the right exhaust header pipe over the three bolts on the exhaust pipe flange. Screw on the three nuts but do not tighten at this time.9. Attach the exhaust tip to the DREAM 1 accumulator to properly align (center) the exhaust accumulator and top connecting tube .10. When the DREAM 1 exhaust accumulator/exhaust tip is properly aligned tighten the exhaust accumulator clamp nuts, the nuts on the top connecting tube clamp and the exhaust tip clamp nut. Figure 6.11. Tighten the three nuts on the right exhaust header pipe flange.12. Reinstall the black plastic mud guard mounted behind the disk brake assembly.13. Remount the right rear tire/wheel.14. Start engine and check for exhaust leaks.15. COMMENT: The exhaust sound will vary depending if you have a dual or square exhaust tip. Our experience shows you will experience faster acceleration. Don’t be surprised if you also get slightly better gas mileage.16. ENJOY!

More...

·
Registered
109 Posts
Seems like $250 is a lot for this product. Sure it's a lot less than a full exhaust mod, but why not just use two bent pipes, one from each muffler, no accumulator?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Re: DREAM 1

Has anyone installed A DREAM 1 on a Cayman S (or Boxster S)?
Any power improvement or other differences noted?
Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
DREAM 1 installed on 2009 Cayman 2.9L (6M, Sprint Booster, K&N air filter, 18” PSS)
I received the DREAM 1 rather quickly and the build quality is very good. It is lighter than I expected and the soft steel will easily bend at the ends of the tubes.

I had some issues with the install but the effort was worth the outcome. The DREAMs large exit tube was slightly oversized and it took me about 45 minutes on the bench to grind down the inside of the stock exhaust tip to get it to fit. I used a Dremel with a grinding stone and some emery cloth to smooth down any high spots, especially around the expansion slots. I wanted to be sure that I could later attach or remove the exhaust tip easily.

The next issue was that I had to expand the right and left tubes to make them fit over the stock exhaust tubes because they were out of round on the ends, I used vise grips.

The clamps that came with the DREAM 1 are barely effective at clamping the left and right tubes onto the stock tubes. I had to tighten them down completely to have a tight joint that would not easily rotate.

The install turned out very well and the alignment and centering of the plumbing and the exhaust tip are perfect.

So how does it function on the road?
The sound of the exhaust at idle is much wider and less inhibited sounding than stock. Whereas it was relatively thin sounding before it now sounds fuller, the best effect happens over 4000 rpm. With the stock T manifold on the road over 4500 rpm, the exhaust seemed raspy and off-focus in comparison when cruising in the power band. With the DREAM 1 the sound is a purposeful grrrrowl that stays coherent throughout the band. In my opinion the exhaust flows better at the essential time. I would definitely recommend this mod to anyone looking for similar results.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts