Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The local PCA president and I agree:

What we want is a Cayman4S with as much development as Porsche puts into the 911. We want mid-engine. We have to have coupes. ALL WHEEL DRIVE is a must! Heated seats are requisite.

We wouldn't mind Turbos but hope for skinny tires. Up here, year round driving is best on taller and narrower snow tires without studs. And our roads are so rutted that those cars with wider tires throw US around mecilessly in the summer.

We'd even eschew a Carrara4S in favor of the lower powered Carrera4 just to get narrower tires and avoid wheel offsets, which are expensive and never really work, in order to make them more driveable, especially in the snow.

Since 911 sales are down, it's time for Porsche to pick up the slack and give US what we want.

Porsche sales are down. For the first time, we see Porsche advertising widely. Is Porsche AG deaf???

·
Registered
502 Posts
The local PCA president and I agree:

What we want is a Cayman4S with as much development as Porsche puts into the 911. We want mid-engine. We have to have coupes. ALL WHEEL DRIVE is a must! Heated seats are requisite.

We wouldn't mind Turbos but hope for skinny tires. Up here, year round driving is best on taller and narrower snow tires without studs. And our roads are so rutted that those cars with wider tires throw US around mecilessly in the summer.

We'd even eschew a Carrara4S in favor of the lower powered Carrera4 just to get narrower tires and avoid wheel offsets, which are expensive and never really work, in order to make them more driveable, especially in the snow.

Since 911 sales are down, it's time for Porsche to pick up the slack and give US what we want.

Porsche sales are down. For the first time, we see Porsche advertising widely. Is Porsche AG deaf???
Well, I don't know if that is what the US wants. I am in the US and would not want that car. I would like to see an OEM turbo option though. Porsche sales are down because the economy is bad and it is a high end ($) car. It is not down because they are producing the wrong cars.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Two wheel drive for me too. A 4S would add too much weight and cause some wicked understeer.

Although maybe a Cayman S+ with the 3.8l 385hp engine from the Carrera S? That would be nice!! A Cayman TT would be awesome, but would probably cost more than a base 911.

·
Porscheholic
724 Posts
A Cayman GT3 RS or Cayman GT2 RS would be about right but then I will not be able to afford it.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Cayman 4S with wide body and jacked up like a rally car might be perfect Alaskan and Canadian option.;):) The possibilities are endless, but looks like Porsche isn't interested. They have produced a great driver's car for everyday, and may be that was their target. I know I'm totally satisfied with mine.:cheers:

·
Premium Member
6,730 Posts
I want a 997.2 turbo on a Cayman platform; i.e. a Cayman with 4WD, LSD, VTG, PTV, transparent engine cover and sexy spoiler... (for God's sake)!

Oh and if you add the exhaust sound of the GT, then I promise not to look at Lambo or a Ferrari in my life !

·
Registered
20 Posts
A 4 wheel drive Cayman makes sense in Alaska. But I am afraid it will be a small niche market. Most people will prefer a light weight car like what it is today. I have no need for a 4 WD Porsche, certainly don't want the extra weight. I rather have Porsche invest resource in more fuel efficient and lower emission engine.

·
Premium Member
6,730 Posts
A 4 wheel drive Cayman makes sense in Alaska. But I am afraid it will be a small niche market. Most people will prefer a light weight car like what it is today. I have no need for a 4 WD Porsche, certainly don't want the extra weight. I rather have Porsche invest resource in more fuel efficient and lower emission engine.
IMHO I believe the more power you put on the car, the more traction you need to transfer it with minimum loss to the road.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I posted on this a couple of months ago and people thought I was crazy. I totally agree. A 4S car is awesome. I still like to drive my car in the winter even though I have a Rover - dont believe in this hybernation BS. What if you get caught in bad weather? Also, the 4S would create a much wider Cayman. The issue is why would Porsche want to canabilize 911 sales??

·
Registered
183 Posts
I see them coming out with something more like a Carrerra M (mid-engine), M4, M4S before they would take the Cayman further up in price point. Anything that would put the Cayman over $80K would encroach on the Carrerra sales so why not just make a mid-engine Carrerra an option and leave the rear engine version alone and see what happens?

·
Registered
178 Posts
I'd like the 4S if it had more power with it. I think it would need to be wider in the rear to give it some more traditional porsche styling and at least appear to be sportier. Sadly, I think the cayman is still strugling to convince the mainstream (not the hard core) that it is a serious car.

I seem to get many references to the cayman being like the 4 cyl mustang - made to look similar to something beefy but toned down to capture a lower entry point, wider audience, etc.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
The Cayman is an entry point but that in no way detracts from it's fine qualities.The current Cayman S gives no ground to it's Carrera cousins as a high quality street car, just because there are no factory race variants. The car is a mechanical jewel, and more than adequate for those of us not ashamed to drive "entry level".I wanted a 911 until Porsche gave us the Cayman and I'm overjoyed the car is here even in it's present form.One of the joys of age is the increased perspective that allows for the appreciation of true value. IMHO the Cayman is the real deal!:dance:

·
Registered
434 Posts
The Cayman is an entry point but that in no way detracts from it's fine qualities.The current Cayman S gives no ground to it's Carrera cousins as a high quality street car, just because there are no factory race variants. The car is a mechanical jewel, and more than adequate for those of us not ashamed to drive "entry level".I wanted a 911 until Porsche gave us the Cayman and I'm overjoyed the car is here even in it's present form.One of the joys of age is the increased perspective that allows for the appreciation of true value. IMHO the Cayman is the real deal!:dance:
Ditto and I have an "old outdated 08 CS"...:burnout:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.