Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've asked Santa Claus to bring me my fourth-in-a-row Cayman. Now I need to tell him which one.

A 718S specced the way I want it comes to about $80,000 on the configurator.

A 718 GTS is rumored for 2018, with perhaps 380 hp. Any idea what it might cost ? (No frills, better seats, mostly performance stuff except for PCCB.)

A 2015 GT4. These seem to average about $110,000, with a few crazily optioned ones in the $125,000 range.

The car might take one or two trips to town during the week, but get thrashed around hard and often during track season. How would you prioritize the choices?

·
Premium Member
497 Posts
The 718's are shockingly fast. But sound like ****. But everything else is better. (I love the steering, myself). The GT4 is pure 'you' as the driver. Very different animals. Long term, I'd go with the GT4 given your plans.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I've asked Santa Claus to bring me my fourth-in-a-row Cayman. Now I need to tell him which one.

A 718S specced the way I want it comes to about $80,000 on the configurator.

A 718 GTS is rumored for 2018, with perhaps 380 hp. Any idea what it might cost ? (No frills, better seats, mostly performance stuff except for PCCB.)

A 2015 GT4. These seem to average about $110,000, with a few crazily optioned ones in the $125,000 range.

The car might take one or two trips to town during the week, but get thrashed around hard and often during track season. How would you prioritize the choices?
Choices? Presuming you have the $$ for either, there is only one choice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
645 Posts
If you want something fun for track-use (and don't care about the depreciation it will cause...) then it sounds like the best thing would be the GT4.

However, if it were me, I would consider a GT4 to be something too rare and valuable for regular track-thrashing. I'm sure it would handle great on a track, and be a blast to drive... But, considering how the resale values of GT4's a re holding up, it wouldn't think it was worth it.

I don't track my cars, so you can take my opinion with a grain of salt. I wouldn't track anything that I couldn't afford to crash and walk away from with no regrets.

Reactions: ronaldvetteron

·
Registered
110 Posts
There would be nothing more heartbreaking than taking delivery of a new 718S only to immediately thereafter lust for the new GTS.

Money aside, GT4 all the way. Here in LA, GT4's are mostly driven by blowhards who wouldn't be able to hit an apex to save their life...it depresses me. A GT4 would be happy to have a track enthusiast owner like yourself.

·
Registered
207 Posts
If you want something fun for track-use (and don't care about the depreciation it will cause...) then it sounds like the best thing would be the GT4.

However, if it were me, I would consider a GT4 to be something too rare and valuable for regular track-thrashing. I'm sure it would handle great on a track, and be a blast to drive... But, considering how the resale values of GT4's a re holding up, it wouldn't think it was worth it.

I don't track my cars, so you can take my opinion with a grain of salt. I wouldn't track anything that I couldn't afford to crash and walk away from with no regrets.
I can't fathom buying a GT4 & not tracking it. Every track day I go to is filled with GT3s & GT4s.
IMO tracking isn't going to appreciably impact the value on a car meant for tracking.

·
Registered
645 Posts
I can't fathom buying a GT4 & not tracking it. Every track day I go to is filled with GT3s & GT4s.
IMO tracking isn't going to appreciably impact the value on a car meant for tracking.

That may be true for GT cars, I honestly can't say. But, in my (limited) observations track time on a car is seen as a negative by prospective buyers.

The simple fact is that tracking puts significant wear and tear on a car that does not occur in normal driving, even "spirited" driving. Over-revs for example...

I know if it were me, I would not buy a GT4 that had been regularly "track thrashed" as the OP put it. My major concern there would be someone who beats the piss out of the car but then sells it right before it needs a bunch of very expensive repairs. To me, it's not worth the risk of buying a car that's been beat on. Even if they were designed for such a purpose, the equipment is not indestructible... YMMV, though. If you have deep pockets and wish to enjoy these machines at their limit, then more power to you. But, don't think it won't impact the value.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I bought my GT4 to track it, and if I didn't plan to track it, I would not have bought it in the first place. My CGTS was a much better choice for street driving, although I tracked it as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.