Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are 3 copies of the GT4 at the Porsche Experience Center in Atlanta. 2 of them are for driving, and 1 is for marketing/photography. They're putting together a manual transmission driving experience with the Cayman GTS, Boxster Spyder, and GT4 back to back. You should be able to register for it in a few months.

I wrote up my experience yesterday at the PEC with the 991 GT3 here: http://www.planet-9.com/981-cayman-boxster-competition/109153-porsche-experience-center-atlanta-today-2.html#post974485

Below is the blue one; there was also a yellow one:

IMG_2657.JPG IMG_2664.JPG IMG_2655.JPG IMG_2660.JPG IMG_2665.JPG IMG_2670.JPG

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
Yes please!!

·
Registered
540 Posts
Thanks for the info. Now some info to help...you can rotate any picture before posting. Looks like this GT4 is ready to blast off to outer space. :hilarious:

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I think square pictures confuse the junky forum software. Thanks, vBulletin for everything you don't do. Or somewhere on the way from iPhone to Google Plus to this upload it lost orientation.

EDIT: if you click each photo in the browser it opens a new tab with correct orientation.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am pretty new here, but got lucky to put a deposit down months ago, speccing it now! What do you guys think will look better the platinum wheels or the silver ones in combination with the PCCBs?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,524 Posts
I am pretty new here, but got lucky to put a deposit down months ago, speccing it now! What do you guys think will look better the platinum wheels or the silver ones in combination with the PCCBs?
I'd suggest a separate thread for this. Might get better visibility.

I'd probably go with platinum. Welcome to the swamp.

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,105 Posts
I just did another trip to the Porsche Experience Center in Atlanta. I did the 6MT Boxster S this time. Total blast. I will post with videos later this week.

But for this thread, the GT4 is now available. It's called the "Master the Manual" which includes the GT4. I'm going to do that one in December

Details:
The manual transmission. Some see it as a challenge, others as an opportunity. We see it as a celebration of the unity of man and machine. As your hands and feet work in parallel, you can hear the engine sing mere inches behind your head. And your smile widens, because you know that it is you and you alone who is conducting the symphony.

The Master the Manual course journey begins with the Cayman S, the sports car that is built to the code of the curve. You then move into the Cayman GTS, the Cayman that speaks to the purist in all of us. Finally, you step beyond the boundary into the realm of motorsports with the new Cayman GT4. At each step, you become more and more familiar with the manual transmission and how it helps bring the car to life. In the end, you’ll not just be a master of the manual, but also a devotee.

Reactions: westwest888

·
4,105 Posts
^^^^^Just a heads up ...you can do the GT4 by itself for $700 for the 1.5 hrs on the same exercises.
Thank you for pointing that out. My instructor (they call them coaches) said there were a couple options for the GT4 including the Master the Manual but when I went to their web site a few minutes ago, I only saw that "Master the Manual" was available. Maybe they have not update their web site yet.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I live in Atlanta, so the equation is a little different for me (no travel), but for anyone flying in to pay $700 to drive a GT4 for 90 minutes, I have to say that does not seem like a great value proposition. You would almost certainly have more fun taking your S or GTS to the track for a full day for about half the price.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to drive a GT4, just not for $700 =\

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I live in Atlanta, so the equation is a little different for me (no travel), but for anyone flying in to pay $700 to drive a GT4 for 90 minutes, I have to say that does not seem like a great value proposition. You would almost certainly have more fun taking your S or GTS to the track for a full day for about half the price.

I really could not disagree more, other than the flying part. A mounted set of Pilot Sport Cup 2's is $2000 and lasts 9 track days if you behave, so that's $225 a day. I use about 20 gallons of gas at a track day, topping off after lunch (if you're in an FI car you're using 101 octane at $9 a gallon pump). Track pads are $1000 per season, let's figure $80 a day. Rotors are about $1000 a season, let's figure $80 a day again. Typical track entry fee in California is $250-$350 a day, depending on location and day of week. This is all if nothing goes wrong with the car and not including any other modifications you do to the car to make it more track worthy.

Not only do you get to put all of this abuse on someone else's car and not pay for the maintenance, where else are you going to drive a GT4? Even if you found one at a dealer they wouldn't let you track it for an afternoon.

When you look at the cheaper cars like the base Cayman or Boxster which have plenty of horsepower for the PEC track, it's an even better deal at $300.

We've all bought Porsches and with our tendency to frequent these forums, they won't be the last ones we buy. Trying out the entire lineup on track is a good way to figure out what car you need relative to your skills. Or to try out all of the performance options to see if you "need" them. Or to compare transmissions, FI vs NA, etc. Get it right the first time.

·
4,105 Posts

That's funny because I was just thinking the opposite. $350 for 1.5 hours of pure track time with someone else's car (Boxster S - just did this two days ago). No cost for brake pads, discs, tires etc. No wear and tear on my car. Every turn I was squealing wheels, Ouch!
Plus you get a lot of other options...you can go to the slalom, kick plate (awesome), low friction circuit and then the skid pad.....plus try launch control as many time as you want - not my thing since I drive manuals but he did say I could drop the clutch. lol. Don't forget about the complimentary refreshments and the museum downstairs. :)

I travel to Atlanta on business a couple times a year and since it is right next to the airport, it is so convenient. Guys not traveling to Atlanta but through the airport can schedule long layovers if they want and go hop in a Porsche and take it on a track. That's cool.

A Boxster and Cayman own this track too. I passed a Cayenne Turbo S three times. It crushed me on the short straight aways but the turns were all mine. The track is short and the HP advantage of a 911 and GT3 don't make up for the turns. I was passing 911s and GT3s for 90 minutes. 10 passes total. (granted I have taken three cars on this track and was very familiar with it....the others were probably on their first go).

·
Registered
534 Posts
Remember guys, it's not 1.5 hours of hot lapping, it's 1.5 hours on the track, doing other things... such as:

• Dynamics Area: Test the speed, agility and lane-change performance on a large asphalt pad designed to simulate unique maneuvers you may encounter during your daily driving
  • Handling Circuit: A one-mile handling course designed to mimic winding country road with a number of corners and undulations. Here, a driver will learn the finer points on choosing the correct path when negotiating the curves and proper application of braking technique
  • Low-Friction Circle: Experience the over-steer capabilities of a Porsche at the low-friction circle with its uniform inward slope and polished concrete surface
  • Low-Friction Handling Circuit: A similar polished concrete surface as the Low-Friction Circle, except we introduce a series of unique, tight curves, with a mixture of various radius types on-and-off camber corners
  • Kick Plate: We test your vehicle control skills when encountering a skid or spin. The kick-plate is a flush-mounted, hydraulically actuated plate placed before a wetted epoxy surface. As a vehicle travels over the plate at a safe rate of speed, sensors move the plate randomly left or right to mimic sliding that might occur during inclement weather conditions
Personally, I care very little about the kick plate and low friction surfaces and that appears to be 60% of the "experience". I'm sure the dynamics and handling circuit are good fun, but it's unclear how much time you get on these parts. If Porsche just tossed you the keys for a day and said "here, go have a ball" that would be one thing. But in reality I suspect you're only getting about 30-40 minutes of actual performance track driving in these things. The rest is skidpad and kickplate?

For $400, the GT4 experience would be a much more compelling value for me personally. Heck, they will let you drive a GT3 AND a 911 Turbo for just $750.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
IMO, $700 for 1.5 hrs in a GT4 is a bargain!! DE events will require u to pay half that for a DE day with similar track time, AND u would have to provide ur own maintenance including oil changes and brake fluid flushes and pad changes. And some tires once in a while... $700 is a huge bargain, IMO!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts