Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

In the Winter, in the snowbelt, for my Porsche Sports car, I:

• Store my car away and put it to sleep

Votes: 45 28.0%
  • Leave the summer tires on and take it out when I feel the weather is appropriate

Votes: 73 45.3%
  • Buy snow tires and drive it anytime I feel like it

Votes: 43 26.7%
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The winter of 2013 - 2014 and this year, 2014/2015 has been pretty harsh and cold for North America. So if you own any of the Porsche Sports cars AND you live in the snowbelt, do you put on snow tires and continue to DD, lock it away for the winter, or keep on the summer tires and just drive it on the rare days when you feel its warm and safe enough to do so.

Please answer ONLY if you live in what is considered the US snowbelt or Canada. Snowbelt is anything in the following states or NORTH of it: VA, KY, MO, KS, CO, UT, Northern NV, Northern CA.

In general I:

1. Store my Porsche sports car away for the winter months in my state

2. Leave the Summer tire on and drive it on days I feel are suitable

3. Use Snow tires and drive it whenever I want.

Thank you

·
Registered
141 Posts
I store mine with a battery tender on it and generally cover it. If a nice day comes and there is no snow/salt/water on the roads I'll take it out for a quick trip to the store or to dinner or something. Generally, in the winter I put less than 50 miles on the car I would say.

·
Premium Member
2,618 Posts
My Nov to Mar avatar says it all.:dance:

A roadster is a warm weather vehicle for sure and IMHO any real sports car as well.

:cheers:

·
Registered
735 Posts
Plan: our snows on and drive it daily. On days it actually snows, work from home our take the wife's car(acura rdx)
Reality: after the worst winter in 40 years in Boston the car has sat for a month or more(since the first blizzard) with a battery tender in the garage.
Anticipate liberating it some time in April.

Luckily the wife works out of her home office. But it has been a challenge. I drive my bmw z3 17 years straight through the winter. And for 3 years before that I drive my miata.

This has just been a wretched year

So count me as a2.5 ( sn.ows and drive it when I can)

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,105 Posts
I can't stand the thought of swapping tires or wheels to snow shoes twice a year for a convertible that is meant for warm weather driving. I don't have the room to store the tires anyway. It's just a weekend toy and I don't like driving it in bad weather or if there is water on the road. Although, as you know I drive in cold temperatures when I need the fix with the summer tires still on. :) ....and just take it really easy so I don't lose too much traction. I drove in the snow for the first time last Saturday with summer tires and it was no problem.

My retirement car is a C4GTS with aerokit but that is still more than a decade away at the earliest. That will be my winter beater car. lol

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
Snow tires and drive it daily throughout winter ... x 2 (911 and Cayman) but I only voted once ;-)

Reactions: Fentanyl and sdj

·
Registered
126 Posts
Except for a business trip I took in October, I have driven the 981 every day since I picked it up in August. I use winter tires mostly for peace of mind in the DC area since the roads are salted to death and it is rare to have major snow accumulation on them. I will probably change back to summers next week if the forecast is favorable.

·
Premium Member
5,836 Posts
Normally we don't get snow in my neck of the woods. (The past two weeks were the exception.) So my car sits in the garage ready to drive on a dry day.

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Definitely store it as soon as the winter road chemicals come out. This year we had unusually warm weather up until Christmas so I was driving the car until then. It was around the first of the year when I did the Boxster's hibernation prep. Oil and filter change, check all fluids, clean car inside and out, wheels off cleaning, vacuumed and blew out all road sand from wheel wells, suspension parts and under carriage. Also removed Boxster S badge at this time. Pumped up tires to just below max pressure, plugged in CTEK 3300 battery maintainer, covered in heated garage.
Anxiously awaiting spring. :sleep:

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
I have an AWD sedan with snows on it, and I really don't want to subject my 981 to all the filth of winter driving ... so no winter tires on this car. Even if I could get out of a winter driving season with no chips from all the gravel on the roads here, my light colored interior would definitely be a total mess from all the salt and dirt dragged into the car with my shoes.

It goes out when the winter temperatures are moderate and the roads clear and dry ... which this year has so far amounted to zero winter drives.

·
Premium Member
837 Posts
I think this poll would be even more interesting if it was able to distinguish between Cayman and Boxster owners.

From threads like these I feel Boxster owners are much more likely to put their car into total hibernation than Cayman owners. Perhaps because Boxster owners feel a true spots car is a roadster to had primarily for the drop top experience.

But the argument that your car / interior is going to be ruined by taking it out on dry cold pavement is a bit of stretch, and many of us who do use our Cayman in the winter have another car with AWD etc for the grungy days, it's not like we don't have a choice.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Winter? Snow? What's that? :banana:

·
Super Moderator
13,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Normally we don't get snow in my neck of the woods. (The past two weeks were the exception.) So my car sits in the garage ready to drive on a dry day.
For the purpose of this poll, you are in the "sunbelt", south of VA.

I think this poll would be even more interesting if it was able to distinguish between Cayman and Boxster owners.
I left it open to "any of the Porsche Sports cars" That includes, 986, 987, 981, 356, all 911 variants, 924, 944, 928, etc.

I think your point would be valid back in the 50s and 60s with the ragtops of the day. But probably not so valid with the modern ragtops they are probably far better constructed. But I can see the point of separating them to see the difference. Next time ... :)

·
Premium Member
837 Posts
Winter? Snow? What's that? :banana:
Hey, Southern California, who asked you?
Only thing I've got to say is: traffic jam? slow commute? What's that? (at least when it isn't snowing...):hilarious:

Reactions: Lime-Gold

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
Near Richmond VA and play by #2 --- but we have had many fewer reasonable days for the past couple of months... it does go on the charger when I get it home after a reasonable day since I have no idea when I would get to go out again.... hasn't been on the road for probably a month ...

·
Registered
648 Posts
Hey, Southern California, who asked you?
Only thing I've got to say is: traffic jam? slow commute? What's that? (at least when it isn't snowing...):hilarious:
I grew up in the Northeast... I prefer to leave the snow at the mountain and visit it from time to time.

Traffic? Yeah, it's bad... Not as bad as LA though.

·
Premium Member
837 Posts
I grew up in the Northeast... I prefer to leave the snow at the mountain and visit it from time to time. Traffic? Yeah, it's bad... Not as bad as LA though.
I meant no disrespect. I went to a week long meeting in San Diego a couple of years ago in April, took my teen daughter and we had a great time, beautiful city and environs!

1 - 20 of 64 Posts