Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I have a 2008 tiptronic Cayman S. I've been getting this message "Drive Selector not Engaged" once in awhile. Often times when I hit bumps or potholes (here in the Philippines it's everywhere) or when switching from Drive to Reverse. It'll beep once and will display this message and will disappear after a few seconds. Even while the message is present, the car will still function normally. It just concerns me that eventually this may cause my tranny to fail. Has anyone experienced the same problem? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
Would suspect the switch(es) inside the shift console might be loose. Only time I had this happen was not having the shift lever actually all the way into either R or D.

·
Premium Member
3,810 Posts
Haven't heard of anyone else reporting that problem, but I agree that it sounds like it might be a problem with the switch or connection in the selector. I would have your dealer check it out and fix it while it's still under warranty.

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
Wow I can't imagine having one of these beauties in the Philippines. I was there in Feb and if you think there are crazy drivers in the US, over there its insane. To make a left, you just make a left, hoping that people stop their jeepney or tricycle or bike or 100 year old truck. Either that or wave your gun. 4 lane road turns to 8 lane road. There are no rules. While I enjoyed my visit immensely, if i lived there I would have a 10 year old beater as my good car, and a 15 year old truck for everyday driving. Although, come to think of it I didn't see one accident in 2 weeks over there, and coming home from the airport here, I went past 2.

Sorry dont have any advice for you on your problem, just a comment.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys for the comments. Yes, I think it may be a loose connection somewhere in the selector. Will have it checked while it's still under warranty.

Sgabra05, yup, lots of crazy drivers here in the Philippines. I only use the cayman on weekends and holidays and definitely not for daily driving. It's usually on Sunday early mornings where you'll see the Ferrari, Lambo, and Porsche owners out enjoying their cars. That's why mileage on these exotics are kept very low.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just an update, brought my car in the dealership here in Manila to have this "Selector Not Engaged" message checked. While the car was there, I decided to have the "minor maintenance" done as it is required for the enrollment for the extended warranty before the two year warranty expires. It cost me Pesos20,000 or US$420.

Anyway, after a day doing all these, I took my car home happily as I thought they have fixed the above issue when suddenly a new message appears - "Tiptronic Emergency Run". This happened while I was driving back home and now the car can only run in 4th gear at all times. Took it back to the dealer and now they said they have to order and replace a switch that should take a week to arrive from Germany. I have zero confidence on the technicians they have around here but I have no choice but to trust them. Just wanted to share this information as maybe someone else had experience the same problem.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
I've never heard or experienced anything like that, but I think it could be some kind of sensor that is gets disconnected when you hit potholes or similar. But then again, I might be wrong!

·
Premium Member
631 Posts
Wow I can't imagine having one of these beauties in the Philippines. I was there in Feb and if you think there are crazy drivers in the US, over there its insane. To make a left, you just make a left, hoping that people stop their jeepney or tricycle or bike or 100 year old truck. Either that or wave your gun. 4 lane road turns to 8 lane road. There are no rules. While I enjoyed my visit immensely, if i lived there I would have a 10 year old beater as my good car, and a 15 year old truck for everyday driving. Although, come to think of it I didn't see one accident in 2 weeks over there, and coming home from the airport here, I went past 2.

Sorry dont have any advice for you on your problem, just a comment.
I guess that falls under the crazy / good drivers

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just an update, brought my car in the dealership here in Manila to have this "Selector Not Engaged" message checked. While the car was there, I decided to have the "minor maintenance" done as it is required for the enrollment for the extended warranty before the two year warranty expires. It cost me Pesos20,000 or US$420.

Anyway, after a day doing all these, I took my car home happily as I thought they have fixed the above issue when suddenly a new message appears - "Tiptronic Emergency Run". This happened while I was driving back home and now the car can only run in 4th gear at all times. Took it back to the dealer and now they said they have to order and replace a switch that should take a week to arrive from Germany. I have zero confidence on the technicians they have around here but I have no choice but to trust them. Just wanted to share this information as maybe someone else had experience the same problem.
Just had the same problem with mine, hoping it is as easy to fix as yours, thanks for the post from 2009!

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Just had the same problem with mine, hoping it is as easy to fix as yours, thanks for the post from 2009!
Same here, slowly getting worse over the last couple of months. Tried adjusting the linkage, had battery checked so new switch it was US$ 380.00
It is indexed so it fits on the shaft only one way. This is where mine was in PARK. To fit it, the transmission mount needs to be moved out of the way. Fortunately you do not have to remove the mount completely from the car. Instructions for the mount are easy to find.

Good Luck

1 - 10 of 10 Posts