Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I'm looking to upgrade my steering wheel, and as I was looking at it, I noticed that the top lip of the airbag hangs over the wheel, like in the attached photos. While I obviously have some in-cabin dusting to do, can I ask whether the airbag is designed this way, or whether it has moved through age or somehow?

Automotive exterior Vehicle Car Auto part Vehicle door

Material property Metal Chair Auto part Silver

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Actually, it is fairly common with the triangular airbag. See the following thread. http://www.planet-9.com/987-cayman-and-boxster-problems-and-complaints/103803-airbag-cover-can-fixed.html?highlight=Airbag+warp
It isn't designed like that, but over time the plastic starts to warp a bit and make the gap larger. I have had it happen with both a plastic and leather triangular airbag, both of which were sand beige. I have also noticed it on many cars out in the wild. It is just a cosmetic issue, try not to worry about it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Apparently so. I took it to the local Porsche dealer, and the head mechanic said it was safe, although he hadn't seen anything quite like it.

Looking closer at the front, it looks like you're right; the plastic has shrunk and you can see the imprint of the airbag components underneath.

I'm planning on getting a new steering wheel so will update the steering bag then.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.