Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 981 Cayman S that's been fun in HPDE but thinking of getting a dedicated track car. I held off buying until 2015 since I really didn't fit into the 987. The problem was sitting height for the most part, especially with a helmet.

However, with race seats in either a spec Boxster or Cayman, can a 6'1" driver fit comfortably without having to hunch forward to see thru the windscreen? Got to keep that spine straight and head back in the corners!

cheers!

·
Registered
810 Posts
Which seats did you try? I'm 6'1 and fit in my 987.2S with the standard manual seats with a helmet and the seat the whole way down. My helmet brushes the roof sometimes during maneuvers when it's up, but I pass the broomstick test which is the important part.

One great thing about race seats is you get to mount them however you need and can get them a lot lower and further back than the OEM seats. One of my friends is 6'5 and drives a miata, which is an absolute impossibility with the OEM seats. (Literally bolted directly to the floor, hah)

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I am 6'2" and have a longer torso than avg. I have not been able to fit in a 987 with a helmut. I can in my 981 Cayman S with the helmut on, but:
1. The helmut has a flat (read not rounded) spot on top that provides additional clearance.
2. With the 18 way seat all the way down and back my neck/head has to til forward slightly or the helmut is in contact with the headliner which means it is in contact most of the time.

·
Registered
628 Posts
I'm 182cm and not even close to have a problem with a helmet + closed top + seat in the lowest position (manual Sport seat).

·
Registered
73 Posts
Which seats did you try? I'm 6'1 and fit in my 987.2S with the standard manual seats with a helmet and the seat the whole way down. My helmet brushes the roof sometimes during maneuvers when it's up, but I pass the broomstick test which is the important part.

One great thing about race seats is you get to mount them however you need and can get them a lot lower and further back than the OEM seats. One of my friends is 6'5 and drives a miata, which is an absolute impossibility with the OEM seats. (Literally bolted directly to the floor, hah)
This but I'm 6'3" with a long torso too. I can fit in manual sport seats but I'm switching out to an OMP race seat. BK will have the brackets for sale shortly. with the seat mounted on the floor I can get a full fist above my head.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks to all! I'm planning to "test sit" a boxster in June at a PCA track event. I've been told by all of you and by my 6'3" track mechanic that there should be no problem at all fitting into an older Boxster.

I may fall into the track car rabbit hole after all!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm 6' 2" tall with a long neck and torso compared to average guys my size. I have a 987.1 track only car with a Racetech seat mounted with the 6 mm thick Racetech aluminum brackets mounted to the Brey-Krause R-9044 seat mount kit with anti-sub bar strap mount. The Brey Krause brackets will also work. The 987.2 structure is the same as the 987.1.
I spent a LOT of time getting the seat mounted as low as possible with excellent results. I had to do a little bit of "malletizing" of the seat mount structure that is immediately behind the computer that is still under the seat in the stock location. The bottom curved portion of the seat is actually lower than the plane of the seat mount rails. There is room if you are able to have the seat PERMANENTLY mounted in the location and you get the seat angle right. I have SEVERAL inches (at least 4") of head room when I sit in the car with my helmet on. I do NOT like having an adjustable seat in a dedicated race car for safety reasons. In fact, with the Racetech seats you must have the seat back permanently mounted to the rollcage as well so it would be really difficult to have it on any sliders. I see this as a very slight advantage having my 200 pound body mounted as low as possible in the car.
Also, I installed an Eye-bolt that came with my Schroth Harness on the center tunnel essentially across from the factory seatbelt mount that is used for the Left seatbelt. I don't like mounting the Right side seatbelt to the seatmount kit like some do. I cut a 3" x 4" access hole on the passenger side tunnel so I could mount a steel plate behind the eyebolt. There are 2 levels of sheet metal to cut through but an electric cutoff wheel made short work of it. Be careful when you cut the access hole!!!! If you cut no lower than 2" abouve the stock floor you will be fine. There are coolant hoses that run low in the tunnel. You can see these in the middle of the car if you take the plastic off the bottom middle of the car to see them. Hope to see you guys at a PCA race sometime soon!! Tony

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.