Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to the dealer today to inspect my first Cayman S (2006 CPO).

I notice how low to the ground the front end of the Cayman is. One guy here has a photo of the Cayman near a Studebaker and the difference is profound.

I have a moderately-inclined driveway. Will the front end always be scraping the driveway? If so, would a clear bra be the solution?

Thank you.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I have a moderately-inclined driveway. Will the front end always be scraping the driveway?
If it is scraping know, I would assume it will always- unless something changes like you've worn down the chin or re-engineered your driveway.

If so, would a clear bra be the solution?
Clear bras are usually on the painted surfaces (i.e. top and sides of the car). If you're scraping these on your driveway, you got bigger problems.

·
Registered
568 Posts
The only way to be sure is take the test drive to your house. Mine scrapes a little every time I go in and out. Not an ideal situation, but it has done no structural or body damage. The scraped paint is underneath the front lip and I just live with it. I hope you have better luck!:)

·
Super Moderator
6,027 Posts
Putting clearbra material on the part that scrapes only means that you will be replacing the stuff frequently. Not worth it IMO.

·
Registered
490 Posts
You'd be surprised how steep the Cayman can handle if you approach it properly. Start to enter and drive up at an angle, and you should have less issues.

Remember to back out at an angle as well!

Approaching straight on is will give you the worst results.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys for the information!

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
You'd be surprised how steep the Cayman can handle if you approach it properly. Start to enter and drive up at an angle, and you should have less issues.

owen is correct. my cayman scrapes the driveway to my office parking lot. i've learn that if i approach the driveway at an angle (one wheel at a time), i no longer scrape.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
owen is correct. my cayman scrapes the driveway to my office parking lot. i've learn that if i approach the driveway at an angle (one wheel at a time), i no longer scrape.
I will certainly keep that suggestion in mind. Thanks!

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
By the way, the dealer is some 40 miles away so I can't test drive it home.

·
Registered
992 Posts
I am going to the dealer today to inspect my first Cayman S (2006 CPO).

I notice how low to the ground the front end of the Cayman is. One guy here has a photo of the Cayman near a Studebaker and the difference is profound.

I have a moderately-inclined driveway. Will the front end always be scraping the driveway? If so, would a clear bra be the solution?

Thank you.
Photo of the dip/incline? The Cayman's nose isn't all that low, so I'm guessing you'll be fine (especially if you take it at an angle). There are some DIY methods (simple boards come to mind) and small automotive products that will help alleviate driveway dips, but those are mainly for the lowered guys.

·
Premium Member
1,008 Posts
I also have an inclined driveway and this has come up before as I recall looking for my own benefit.

There is a thread from a few years ago about a product that attaches to the bottom of the front end to protect it in these situations.

Search the topic and I'm sure you'll find it.

BTW - You can put the car up on three wheels using the technique. Every time I back out of the driveway when my wife is around she says WOOOOOOOOOO your car is in the air!

+1 on the angled approach and exit technique.

·
Registered
236 Posts
They are low to the ground, especially since I lowered mine another 30 mm, mine even scrapes driving on normal roads if I'm on it and the road is a little bumpy (Aussie Roads aren't that great). But it has more to do with the length of the nose aswell. Porsches have a very long front overhang, which means very acute approach angles. I think we all have come to the conclusion that the nose is like brakes, a cosumeable item.

·
Premium Member
2,519 Posts
Automotive Trivia. I've always heard he slow, angled approach called the elephant walk. Wonder if that applies to crocs?

More seriously Automotion used to sell a plate to attach to the bottom of the nose to keep it from being worn through. Was sort of like a long boomerang. Are these guys still sponsors?

·
Premium Member
464 Posts
Hpowders,

After following the saga of you getting this car for the last couple months, I really want to see some pictures of it as soon as possible!

Bret

·
Enjoying the drive.
1,265 Posts
Start to enter and drive up at an angle, and you should have less issues.

That's what I was going to say, but you said it much better than I would have.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts