Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The weather around here has been pretty moderate until a cold front went through last night and the temps have started to drop.
Unfortunately, I made an appointment last week to get the oil changed this Friday before I lay it up.
The forecast is overnight lows 21 deg. high temp 33 deg.; the dealer is 50 miles away.

My tires are Conti Extreme Sport .Looking at the Conti website, they said this about how the tire reacts to cold temps:
---
Note:: Tires exposed to temperatures of 20 degrees F (-7 degrees C) or lower must be permitted to gradually return to temperatures of at least 40 degrees F (5 degrees C) for at least 24 hours before they are flexed in any manner, such as by adjusting inflation pressures, mounting them on wheels or using them to support, roll or drive a vehicle.

Flexing of the specialized rubber compounds used in Max Performance Summer tires during cold-weather use can result in irreversible compound cracking. Compound cracking is not a warrantable condition because it occurs as the result of improper use or storage, tires exhibiting compound cracking must be replaced.
-----
So, I'm rethinking this trip a bit. Would appreciate views on this.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Never heard that before. If I did that I’d hardly ever drive, year round. Do the trip, imho.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
The weather around here has been pretty moderate until a cold front went through last night and the temps have started to drop.
Unfortunately, I made an appointment last week to get the oil changed this Friday before I lay it up.
The forecast is overnight lows 21 deg. high temp 33 deg.; the dealer is 50 miles away.

My tires are Conti Extreme Sport .Looking at the Conti website, they said this about how the tire reacts to cold temps:
---
Note:: Tires exposed to temperatures of 20 degrees F (-7 degrees C) or lower must be permitted to gradually return to temperatures of at least 40 degrees F (5 degrees C) for at least 24 hours before they are flexed in any manner, such as by adjusting inflation pressures, mounting them on wheels or using them to support, roll or drive a vehicle.

Flexing of the specialized rubber compounds used in Max Performance Summer tires during cold-weather use can result in irreversible compound cracking. Compound cracking is not a warrantable condition because it occurs as the result of improper use or storage, tires exhibiting compound cracking must be replaced.
-----
So, I'm rethinking this trip a bit. Would appreciate views on this.
I suspect that Continental and other tire companies would tend to err on the side of caution in this respect. However, summer tires are not good in cold temperatures, even if they don't crack. The rubber compound gets very stiff in cold weather and traction suffers. I have PZeros and my dealer stores my winter tires. It has become cold here recently (around freezing), and it looks like staying that way for a week at least. I will wait till a break in the cold before getting the tires changed.

I would never consider driving in 20 F weather on summer tires. Others have done it but it isn't worth the risk to me (or my tires).

Reactions: RickH

·
Vendor
6,510 Posts
If it snows or rains just a little you are completely f***d. If it's completely dry - you might make it. My 350z on high-perf tires was completely uncontrollable in light snow on high perf tires. My brother crashed his z4 trying to make it to winter storage place and it started to snow... Just saying. 50 miles is a long trip considering circumstances.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I drove my Boxster through snow heading down to Las Vegas, years ago. It was about 2200 miles each way, so it can be done without incident, but you are wise to take it easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
You have a specialized tire, so I'd would defer to what the manufacturer states about the tire characteristics in cold temperatures. As far as summer tires are concerned, I've driven them in temperatures below 30 degrees for many years without any problems. Of course summer tires get quite hard at temperatures below 40 degrees, so a driver has to be careful at lower temperatures, especially when the car is first driven from the garage.

·
Super Moderator
13,980 Posts
Would appreciate views on this.
I would listen to whoever makes the tires. It's a thing. GM issued warnings to Corvette and Camaro owners about tire cracking. Read https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2014/03/performance-tires-crack-winter-cracking/index.htm

Read http://cccorvette.org/tech/TireCracking_GM_13-03-10-001A.pdf

Your tires sound worse than the normal Michelins and Pirillis. Anecdotal stories will say "But I drove all winter at 20 degrees". Good for them. Generally, I would follow what the tire maker says.

Personally, I will not move a summer tire below 20 degrees nor drive below 40 - 45. Tires do crack. I've seen it.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I was told by Conti that a summer tire looses 30 percent of the traction at 45 degrees. We have also seen tires crack just by moving them in freezing temps. I know Pirelli also warns against driving in near freezing temps with performance tires. Just a quick story from our Indian location last year. A guy driving a brand new Ferrari on a clear dry day with temps below freezing totaled his car when he slid through an intersection and his tires would not stop. Be very careful.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.