Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back home, I knew all the best roads to drive on (i.e. winding back roads with minimal cops). Unfortunately, the lowcountry is pretty flat and I haven't been able to find many twisty, fun roads. Does anyone have some suggestions for where to go for a good drive?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Back home, I knew all the best roads to drive on (i.e. winding back roads with minimal cops). Unfortunately, the lowcountry is pretty flat and I haven't been able to find many twisty, fun roads. Does anyone have some suggestions for where to go for a good drive?

Thanks in advance!
I will be watching this with a lot of interest! We moved to the Lowcountry a couple of years ago and found twisty, fun roads are pretty much nonexistent! We have found some interesting roads and places but fortunately still have a cabin in the Shenandoah Valley and of course there is always upstate SC, NC, and WV but south of Columbia even down into GA and FL is ________________!

·
Premium Member
5,836 Posts
I lived in Columbia, S.C. for three years and Savannah, Ga. for two years. IMHO there are no "good" roads in the low country. (Great "shrimp and grits" but no good roads.) Fortunately it is not hard to get to the mountains. Spend a weekend in Asheville. Drive to your heart's content.

·
Registered
607 Posts

Thanks in advance!
I have lived in the area for most of my life and between traffic, poorly maintained secondary roads and zealous revenue collectors the pickings are slim.

That said explore the Francis Marion forest roads, I have only done a little myself, Guerin's Bridge Road is well known to us but be careful as I've seen cyclists and multiple LEOs about.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/State+Rd+S-10-98,+Awendaw,+SC+29429/@32.9471974,-79.7413415,17z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x88fe14cd5289d395:0xcefd2eaef6a1229e!8m2!3d32.9471974!4d-79.7391528

Hwy 61 from Summerville to Charleston is very scenic but not really what you are looking for, been some time since I drove 165 from Summerville (from 61) to Ravenel but was fairly rural. Most secondary roads are narrow with little to no paved shoulders and trees for guardrails. These live oaks aren't going anywhere.

We are moving upstate and the roads you seek are there and in NC for sure. I can't wait to explore those again myself.

The local PCA club has a weekly breakfast in Charleston. I haven't joined anything locally due to the move now, but I suspect these guys can help you. Also I am sure Karl Troy and his kids at European can help you out here too, be sure to ask them.

https://www.pcapalmetto.org/calendar#year=2018&month=2&day=1&view=month

Sorry I can't be of more help. Do you have a radar detector? Probably a good idea to run one while you are exploring.

Reactions: RENN Sleep

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I lived in Columbia, S.C. for three years and Savannah, Ga. for two years. IMHO there are no "good" roads in the low country. (Great "shrimp and grits" but no good roads.) Fortunately it is not hard to get to the mountains. Spend a weekend in Asheville. Drive to your heart's content.
Is Asheville a fun weekend trip? In DC I used to take weekend trips to Skyline Drive and it was great. Could the same be done to Asheville?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Oh man! I have been on shrimp and grits overload ever since we moved here! I have had good to fantastic but no bad s&g anywhere! Almost but not quite enough to make up for the lack of good driving roads!!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Is Asheville a fun weekend trip? In DC I used to take weekend trips to Skyline Drive and it was great. Could the same be done to Asheville?
Absolutely! Awesome area with great b&b’s, food to die for and driving roads galore. Can even get up on the Blue Ridge Parkway but don’t count on any redlining! Too many tourists and Park police! Head on down to Cashiers, Highland, etc. Lots of curves and beautiful waterfalls! And not that far from the infamous Tail of the Dragon. Just check the activities page though on the website to make sure no big events going on or any sections closed due to rockslides.

·
Premium Member
5,836 Posts
Asheville is a great place to go! There are great roads around Asheville.

My wife and I like to stay at the Grove Park Inn. (She goes to the spa while I go out driving.) There is also the Inn on Biltmore.

Asheville is full of small breweries and pretty good restaurants.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Absolutely! Awesome area with great b&b’s, food to die for and driving roads galore. Can even get up on the Blue Ridge Parkway but don’t count on any redlining! Too many tourists and Park police! Head on down to Cashiers, Highland, etc. Lots of curves and beautiful waterfalls! And not that far from the infamous Tail of the Dragon. Just check the activities page though on the website to make sure no big events going on or any sections closed due to rockslides.
Are the roads there fun or do I have to find the roads after I get there?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Once you are over into NC, the fun can begin. Might as well just get there as fast as you can and choose whether to go interstate or backroads on the way but don’t expect the backroads to be like VA. Might be some slight hills but few curves and and a few charming burgs along the way. A lot is going to depend on how long you plan to stay and time of year. We were just up in Hickory, NC east of Ashville and they are now getting snow in the upper elevations.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts