Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been driving my '09 PDK equipped Cayman for nine months now, pretty much as a daily driver. I drive in the manual mode at least 60% of the time. The thing is, I shift with the shift lever at least 99% of the time when in manual. I've noticed I really only use the buttons for down shifting in fast or emergency slow-down situations. As a matter of fact, if the car had come without the steering wheel buttons, it would suit me just fine.
It is a natural reaction, I guess, to reach for the shifter, and frankly, I feel more in control using it.
I had paddles on my Audi A3 and hated them. That right/left, up/down setup makes no sense to me. The buttons on my Cayman make more sense, but I would still prefer not to have them. The whole paddle/button thing is just gadgetry to me.
I love my PDK. With a bum left knee, not having to use a clutch is nice, and the shifts are fast, sure and spot-on.
Am I the only one to feel this way about using the shifter, and the paddle/button thing, or are there others?
Just curious. Cheers.

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
I think what you feel is very normal, and really only if you are driving hard or tracking do paddles or buttons (buttons less so) really make sense, but for the street why not feel like you are still in charge and have more of a "manual" input ;)

PDK is great for knowing what gear you need to be in for the situation and shifting so quickly and for not needing to heel toe for smooth downshifts, however I like that part of driving stickshift.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I sometimes use the stick to change when cruising between favourite roads. For the freeway (which I try to avoid because it's so boring) I use automatic, and also for traffic (not much around here).
For favourite roads - twisty mountain ascents and gorges - I use the buttons. I find with PDK that I can get an extra gear change in before the corner because I don't have to take my hand off the wheel. On a really tight road instead of staying in 2nd between corners, as I would in a manual, I can go to 3rd and then immediately back to 2nd for the corner. PDK encourages you to change gear more often because it is so fast.
I don't find the buttons counter-intuitive as many people do - pushing forward to up-change is logical because you want to accelerat, as is pulling back for a down-change - like pulling on the reins when riding a horse.

·
Premium Member
2,173 Posts
I like the feel of the gearshift lever. It's got a tight spring and the shift changes instantly the lever is moved. I think the gearshift communicates the speed of PDK very nicely. I replaced the buttons w/ the paddle wheel and the paddles are an improvement, but it's really all just personal preference, paddles, buttons, lever.......and clutch.;)

·
Premium Member
424 Posts
I pretty much agree with all the comments so far on the PDK and using it. One thing that I recently did was to add one of the older Sprint Boosters to my Cayman. This AT/PDK version (not manual) has only one setting for the accelerator pedal position mapping. The newer models have an external three position control to setting the mapping to stock, mild or aggressive. Unfortunately, the Cayman does not yet have the lateral force sensed, down shift lock out out feature which the Carreras have with the PDK option. This means that during cornering, too much pedal will cause a sometimes unexpected down shift with potential handling problems. Now, because of the rather aggressive Sprint Booster pedal mapping, down shifting in the automatic mode is less easily controlled. The effect is even worse since much more power is generally demanded causing a down shift to really surprise you causing handling problems. This is probably not a problem for track and racing conditions, but for the street it's really undesirable. I unfortunately had to remove the booster and return to the mushy, but predictable stock pedal mapping. So now I'm putting it up for sale or trade :(. I was hopping to avoid getting a better pedal mapping and avoid warranty issues by getting the more expensive ECU flash. Live and learn!

·
Registered
159 Posts
I love the choices. Most of my DD is done in auto, using the buttons for exit/enterance ramps. On the track it is 100% manual using the buttons. Have driven cars with the paddles and do not see much of a difference. Hardly ever use the stick in manual.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I drove the PDK and the only way I would buy what I feel is a superior gearbox to the manual is with the new flappy paddles. I hated the PDK buttons on the wheel to the point that I bought a six speed instead but that was before the new flappy paddle option was available. On my next Porsche I will get the PDK just not the old buttons.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
PDK is pretty sweet. Despite being very impressed with test drive I blinked twice and made the safe choice with 6-speed/short shifter. When I read these posts I still sometimes wonder if I made the right decision? Maybe next time.:crazy:

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have an '08 CS tip. I really "like the buttons". I "LOVE" the PDK buttons! I like both hands on the wheel option. My next will be PDK and I hope they still offer the current est up. My:2cents:

·
On Probation
582 Posts
I love the choices. Most of my DD is done in auto, using the buttons for exit/enterance ramps. On the track it is 100% manual using the buttons. Have driven cars with the paddles and do not see much of a difference. Hardly ever use the stick in manual.
must be a joisey thing...dats what i do

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Ditto what "amt" said: I LOVE the PDK buttons! I don't understand some people's angst against them. They integrate well with the steering wheel and they work intuitively for me. There are already four stalk thingies behind the wheel and I might get confused if there were paddles too.

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
Ditto what "amt" said: I LOVE the PDK buttons! I don't understand some people's angst against them. They integrate well with the steering wheel and they work intuitively for me. There are already four stalk thingies behind the wheel and I might get confused if there were paddles too.
I agree, the PDK buttons seem natural, intuitive and easy to get used to. I believe that people who don't like the buttons have been used to something else and find it more difficult to learn/adapt to a new/different system (or just don't want to). Also, being able to use either hand to shift up or down is an advantage.

·
Super Moderator
6,032 Posts
I agree, the PDK buttons seem natural, intuitive and easy to get used to. I believe that people who don't like the buttons have been used to something else and find it more difficult to learn/adapt to a new/different system (or just don't want to). Also, being able to use either hand to shift up or down is an advantage.
Just goes to show, there's no single right way to do something. I'm just glad Porsche now offers buyers a choice between buttons vs. paddles. Can't say that for a lot of other manufacturers with dual-clutch/semiauto gearboxes.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I hear what everyone is saying about the buttons but, the thing is with the paddles your able to wrap your thumb around the wheel with a better grip. I also think with the paddles you have a larger surface to grab at it. I have an 08' c.s. and find it hard to always have my thumbs in that one position which sometime places my hand and arm in a compromising position. I can live with it. Overall, I just wish the gearbox wasn't set up for the gas mileage purpose, so I could drive it in full automatic.

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
I hear what everyone is saying about the buttons but, the thing is with the paddles your able to wrap your thumb around the wheel with a better grip. I also think with the paddles you have a larger surface to grab at it. I have an 08' c.s. and find it hard to always have my thumbs in that one position which sometime places my hand and arm in a compromising position. I can live with it. Overall, I just wish the gearbox wasn't set up for the gas mileage purpose, so I could drive it in full automatic.
You can drive it in full automatic. In a fraction of a second it gets it on with just a push on the gas pedal. If you are driving aggresively it will hold gears and act accordingly. And you can always shift up or down manually while in automatic and it will stay in manual for a little while before reverting to automatic.

If you are in automatic in sport mode it will hold gears to at least 3,000 rpm and sport plus much higher before shifting. It is very versatile and offers a setting for every degree of aggressiveness. I have been learning and loving it.

·
Registered
121 Posts
You can drive it in full automatic. In a fraction of a second it gets it on with just a push on the gas pedal. If you are driving aggresively it will hold gears and act accordingly. And you can always shift up or down manually while in automatic and it will stay in manual for a little while before reverting to automatic.

If you are in automatic in sport mode it will hold gears to at least 3,000 rpm and sport plus much higher before shifting. It is very versatile and offers a setting for every degree of aggressiveness. I have been learning and loving it.
Ya, mine does the same thing but I think its a little more prevalent in the 08' and older models. I wouldn't mine trying the pdk version to see the difference. From what I heard, the pdk w/sport chrono does react and perform better. Although, I have still heard people say the manuel is the best way to get the consistent performance out of the car.

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
I have a 2010 S with PDK and Sport Chrono installed. I was using the car on the track Monday in auto "Sports Plus" mode and the shifts were precise and predictable. The problem I had was when entering a set of quick reflex turns right/left/right.....I accidentally touched one of the buttons which immediately up shifted/down shifted and placed the transmission in manual mode...really messed things up until I figured out why I was up against the rev limiter.

I spent time last night looking for a different steering wheel and found one with paddles are Suncoast with the sports chrono option. the better option would be to turn off the steering wheel buttons ( I could turn them on later if I want to). I called the local dealer and they don't know if that is possible w/o doing some testing and programming.

Does anyone have any experience turning off the PDK steering wheel buttons?

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
Ya, mine does the same thing but I think its a little more prevalent in the 08' and older models. I wouldn't mine trying the pdk version to see the difference. From what I heard, the pdk w/sport chrono does react and perform better. Although, I have still heard people say the manuel is the best way to get the consistent performance out of the car.
My car is faster than my previous GT3 in autocross because the gearing is better (shifts to 2nd at 38mph vs. 52) and it downshifts and upshifts at precisely the right moments much faster than anyone could manually. With most cars people run autocross in 2nd which means you are rarely in the power band. I use it in sport+, automatic. :)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Yeah I have a '10 boxster PDK and I never use the paddles/buttons. Not a big fan at all with those almost forget they are even there. I use the shifter in manual mode 99% of the time! Love PDK its greatbfor daily driving

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.