Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Let's not go into the why yet, but as it turns out I bought my car in the middle of an interrupted "service" and unknowingly drove home without an air filter... A good 100 miles... No sand storm, possible mosquito ingestions, but nothing too hard to digest presumably.... Then I changed the oil and filter, which looked perfect even it its little folds, had a porsche dealer do a 28 pt inspection (which apparently does not involve pulling the engine cover - some inspection), then put 80 more miles on it. Still no air filter, but on fresh oil now...

Still no sandstorm, but it explains the throaty induction noise :) yes, I'm slow but never had a Cayman s before to compare with...

I put one in today quite by accident, as part of me getting to know the car... Still missing the air box fasteners too, but I found something that works...

So, any alarmist on board wishing to tell me my car is gonna blowup now? Kinda looking for the opposite, actually, some reassurance.... Should I change the new oil again? After 85 mi of driving "commando"?

If I'm honest, I've never caught any worrisome bit in an air filter ever... But I dont drive in the sand dunes...

·
On Probation
582 Posts
you will be fine ,no need to change the oil again [it wouldnt help anyway] dont make a habit of not running an airfilter......i could tell ya stories that would curl your toes of what i,ve seen go in the intake of really BIG motors and come out the exhaust a tad different....and no harm done ...course i,ve seen some freeze up from things going in and not coming out

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
you will be fine ,no need to change the oil again [it wouldnt help anyway] dont make a habit of not running an airfilter......i could tell ya stories that would curl your toes of what i,ve seen go in the intake of really BIG motors and come out the exhaust a tad different....and no harm done ...course i,ve seen some freeze up from things going in and not coming out
Thanks... I won't make it habit, it's just that I bought the car at a non Porsche dealer relatively far from home and tried to avoid a return-round trip wi my trade-in by doing the transaction and driving it home that day. The engine cover was off and the mechanic gone for the week end... We did not see anything untoward, so bolted it up and drove it home - I did check oil and coolant, but the air filter did not enter my mind, didn't know where the bugger was in the first place!

First for me... I've since put in new oil, filter, air filter, pollen filter, checked levels religiously... Pisses me off a little...but I can see how it's my fault too!
Could have waited till Monday...

·
Registered
239 Posts
Don't worry about it. K & N "filters" don't capture all that well, either - at least not the little stuff, and plenty of folks run with them without apparent harm. Just enjoy the car!

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ironically I did change my oil again... The reading was either one bar from the top or totally full, depending on the car's mood, so I figured I'd drop half a quart. Easier said than done! Siphoning through the oil filler didn't work so I figured loosen the bolt... That did not work well at all, stopping the flow of *very* liquid mobil 1 without splashing a 10ft radius with hot oil was not really doable... Meh.. I let it drain, put fresh oil again, only 7 qts this time - no filter, i'll sleep better anyway :)

The oil level is good, the air filter is in...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.