Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading up on drop links as I intend to upgrade my sway bars and links. What I have been unable to fully pinpoint is if there are any high quality links good for HPDE driving and not noisy.

Any suggestions from experience?

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Buy our bars and call bill calcagno for drop links. Seems to be the MD thing to do. BillC will likely chime in at some point! BTW, our bars are deeply discounted by tomorrow night at 8pm.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've read about Bill's work. They look good. My only concern is strength.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
We wouldnt recommend anything that couldnt handle the stresses. We have installed them on some cars that we upgraded at the shop.

·
Built for speed AND comfort.
172 Posts
AED Motorsport Products - Your supplier of Seals-It Products: Rod End Boots

I bought the TPC drop links along with their excellent 987 sway bars. Loved them on the track, but the chattering links were annoying in street driving especially at low speeds.

So I read and searched. BillC's solution seems excellent, and Tarett makes Teflon-lubricated drop links. But talking to Tom Chan at TPC I wanted to try to make the TPC drop links work. His suggestion that maybe some grease would help got me thinking. What if I installed rod end boots like what I saw offered as an option by Tarett, and put some good moly grease in there? Would that combination quiet them down?

Yes, it turns out. Install the SealsIt RERS2 rod end boots and squirt some good moly grease in there with a grease gun needle designed to slip under grease seals, and the rod ends are quiet. Plus, my sense is that having a good high-pressure lubricant in there is good for the ball-and-socket rod ends.

Two six-packs of rod end boots from AED are about $60. You only need eight for all four drop links so that gives you some extras in case you tear one during the install (I didn't; they're very durable and well-made).

Might not even be a bad idea to include them and a small tube of moly grease in the drop link/sway bar package from TPC. ;) I had to remove my drop links and disassemble them; it'd be much easier to install the boots & grease when first installing the links and sway bars. :cheers:

·
Registered
527 Posts
Nice one Peter! Ordering these today! My wife will be Much happier :) I was thinking about this idea as well.

Thanks!

·
Cayman The Destroyer!
2,645 Posts
Very cool! What size did you buy? I'm definately going to do this.

·
172 Posts
Very cool! What size did you buy? I'm definately going to do this.
The RERS2 are the right ones. Read the online installation instructions, they definitely go on easiest the way the instructions recommend. Feel free to PM me if you have install questions. :helpme:

·
Cayman The Destroyer!
2,645 Posts
Thanks I should have read the post more carefully. I need more sleep! LOL

·
172 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Great, just ordered those as well, so total with shipping for this this mod with all parts are at about $100.

Nice for piece of mind and a little silence :)

·
Cayman The Destroyer!
2,645 Posts
No wonder they where out of them you bum! Have mine on order along with a turbo heat shield & header tape. If I'm crawling under the car might as well do a bunch of stuff

·
172 Posts
Hey, gents. Just got an email from Dave Gordon at AED Motorsport, said he got an inquiry about two six-packs of RERS 2 boots from Thomas Jones in Texas. When Dave replied to Thomas, his email came back as being blocked by Thomas' spam filter.

So, if you're Thomas Jones, you should give Dave a call at 317-334-0569 to get your boots ordered.

·
Tennessee Vol
649 Posts
I've been reading up on drop links as I intend to upgrade my sway bars and links. What I have been unable to fully pinpoint is if there are any high quality links good for HPDE driving and not noisy.

Any suggestions from experience?
I added the RSS bars and drop links. I was very happy with this mod at the track. Adding RSS control arms and toe links on Monday to get neg camber up to 2.5.

·
Cayman The Destroyer!
2,645 Posts
Did this mod today. The snap ring pliers made it manageable. Had Tarett link on back TPC on front. The taretts where easier to get the boots over.

THIS IS A GREAT MOD!!! NO MORE CLANKING NOISES AND I'M SURE THE LINKS WILL LAST MUCH LONGER.

You ought to write up an article on it so it doesn't get lost.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Peter I second the article write up !

I did these as well last night, took 1 hours per side. was tough getting them over the ends, broke only one, but had plenty of spares.

IT IS NIGHT AND DAY DIFFERENCE! Driving down the street I no longer sound like a British Motor Car! No more creaking and constant clanking noise! Sounds almost stock.

This is a MUST for anyone that has uncovered drop links on their car!

Thanks Peter!

·
Cayman The Destroyer!
2,645 Posts
I had a set of Bill's links and I highly recommend them for street use. However I've seen that type of stock link fail on the track recently and wouldn't run them on the track with stiff bars.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts