Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

Thought I'd share my experiences from the Cayman Interseries race at the HSR Sebring Fall Classic this weekend.

I was invited by a friend/coaching client of mine, Jim McCormick, to co-drive his Cayman Interseries car in Sunday's HSR 4-Hour Enduro at Sebring this weekend. Jim qualified on pole and took the first driving stint to start the race. I hopped in about 1 hour into the action, having never stepped foot in the car (which is fairly common for me to have to do!) and pulled a double-stint, which was just about 2 hours long, before handing the car back over to Jim for the last hour to take the checkered flag.

We won the race, which was great fun - but most importantly was HOW COOL these cars are! Holy cow! EXTREMELY comfortable and cozy to drive, amazingly well balanced, very mild-mannered, and downright FUN! I was really impressed. I mean, I'm a Cayman owner and lover, but having been in a Boxster on track in the past, I really wasn't too impressed - especially since I've spent plenty of time in stock 997's, 996's, GT3's, RS's, etc... but these things were just awesome! 4 hours of THRASHING this car and not a single inclination of brake fade, rising temps, gearbox issues or anything. The car was totally rock solid - and trust me, I gave it a good run.

I really think they are on to something great here. Very attractive package in every way - up front cost, maintenance cost, fun-factor and format. Being a part of the HSR weekends makes it the perfect environment for people to drive a modern car, with modern RELIABILITY at an affordable cost, with great people and fun, friendly formats. Besides, as if they weren't good looking enough, the vintage livery on the cars makes them really stand out - very cool, and very well put together.

I'm sold - and you can bet I'll be convincing a lot of my coaching clients that this is the way to go - instead of buying GT3-Cup cars.

Here's a great write-up by my buddy John Thawley and Sports Car Insider from the weekend - check it out on my website, Guy Cosmo News - Guy Cosmo :: Grand-Am Rolex Series Daytona Prototype & American Le Mans Series Driver.

Thanks! Let me know what you think!
Guy Cosmo News - Guy Cosmo :: Grand-Am Rolex Series Daytona Prototype & American Le Mans Series Driver

·
Premium Member
1,605 Posts
Very cool. Congratulations!!!

-Moto

·
Sexual Philanthropist
1,001 Posts
What kind of times were you turning at Sebring?

·
Sexual Philanthropist
1,001 Posts
That's smokin on the 12hr course. I never broke the 2:30 barrier in my stock 08 on street tires.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Jimmy B

Tell the truth you were in the LOW,LOW 24's.....and really fast in the rain. Did you forget to mention all the medals you brought home??
Let's see....2 first's, a second, and a third........ not too bad.

Guy's fastest was a 23 dead during the enduro. I was very happy that he made the choice to drive on our team and not with someone else!!!!

·
Tennessee Vol
649 Posts
Great job. Hope to get to your school some time in 2010.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys, it was a lot of fun and they are really great cars. It was fun to race with you Jim, and great to meet and talk with you, Ron (and everyone else!)!

As for laptimes, yes, 22.9 on the dash... :) I was certainly pushing the car to an extent, but of course in that scenario (as a guest driver) I would never put my clients car in harm's way so I was behaving myself! In my opinion, with a few tweaks to the setup with the car as-is, some tires that didn't have cords showing through them (like the ones they took off after my double-stint!) and an all-out flier on my part, I think 21's are definitely attainable.

But regardless of the lap time, what matters is the fun-factor. The cars really are a ton of fun to drive, and they are SO manageable, it's a great car for the recreational driver who's fast, and the developing driver who's learning to go fast.

I'm wondering how I could fit ownership of one of these cars into my Cosmo-Sport Trackday program...! Ron?? :)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Jimmy B

Tell the truth you were in the LOW,LOW 24's.....and really fast in the rain. Did you forget to mention all the medals you brought home??
Let's see....2 first's, a second, and a third........ not too bad.

Guy's fastest was a 23 dead during the enduro. I was very happy that he made the choice to drive on our team and not with someone else!!!!
I have put the car on the podium at every race I attended this season... I can't say enough about these Interseries cars. Strong, solid, attractive, and a blast to drive! The cars are fun to race, and they make for close racing as the cars are very manageable right to the edge (which the Cayman is clearly talking to you as you approach it). I'm also having a blast with the data system in the car, and dialing in each track.

I'm really starting to wonder how much I am going to drive my GT3 anymore.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The cars are not delivered with a data system, however you can use whatever system you like.

I personally would use (and we used in Jim McCormick's car) a Traqmate GPS data system. For $999 you get all the basics you need - speed trace, GPS track mapping, lat & long G's, and a number of other goodies - without wiring a single sensor in the car. For $2k you can get the system along with integrated & synchronized video. Can't beat it!

(I also happen to sell these systems, wink wink..!) The AIM MXL dash and data system is also a very good, affordable data system - and then of course Motec is, in my opinion, the best system, but also a much higher price point.

Any questions, send me a message!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think it definitely would be! My Cayman S (street car) has a 3.8ltr X-51 motor in it - with a TPC turbo kit! The car is absolutely AMAZING. So in love with it - and I've driven A LOT of exotics. Love my car the most!

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
I think it definitely would be! My Cayman S (street car) has a 3.8ltr X-51 motor in it - with a TPC turbo kit! The car is absolutely AMAZING. So in love with it - and I've driven A LOT of exotics. Love my car the most!
Wow, what kind of horsepower is it generating?!! I'm guessing 600 plus! Have you determined 0-60 and quarter miles times? I'm wondering because I'm interested in the 3.7 turbo for the Cayman S that TPC was working on.

·
Premium Member
1,713 Posts
Guy, what size tires on your street ride? These HP numbers are a bit awkward and ineffectual with 235/285 tires even with LSD.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Wow, what kind of horsepower is it generating?!! I'm guessing 600 plus! Have you determined 0-60 and quarter miles times? I'm wondering because I'm interested in the 3.7 turbo for the Cayman S that TPC was working on.
I was told the car should produce up to 440rwhp when all tuned properly. We're still messing with a few ECU tuning issues since TPC did not do the install, so I know it's not making as much as it 'should' at the moment. However, drivability is fantastic - but it's extremely rich right now.

No 0-60 or quarter mile times yet - and I'd imagine TPC's 3.7 turbo for the Cayman S would be a KILLER package. Definitely worth looking into!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Guy, what size tires on your street ride? These HP numbers are a bit awkward and ineffectual with 235/285 tires even with LSD.
I've got bone-stock 19's that the car was delivered (sorry, don't know my tire sizes off hand). Definitely lacking a bit rear grip when getting 'saucy' cruising through town - and on track, it definitely suffers with the stock diff - a lot of wheel spin. A lot of that could definitely be toned down by upping the roll stiffness with anti-roll bars, etc - but I'd definitely go for a good LSD when cash flow permits... :)

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
I was told the car should produce up to 440rwhp when all tuned properly. We're still messing with a few ECU tuning issues since TPC did not do the install, so I know it's not making as much as it 'should' at the moment. However, drivability is fantastic - but it's extremely rich right now.

No 0-60 or quarter mile times yet - and I'd imagine TPC's 3.7 turbo for the Cayman S would be a KILLER package. Definitely worth looking into!
Thanks! I plan to take your advice and look into it in the near future!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts