Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I drove an F-Type - well actually 3 of them which indicates I was seriously considering one. And this weekend I put down a deposit - for a Cayman S :)

I had previously been waiting for the GTS, but after a test drive decided the Sport Exhaust just wasn't for me. I'm very sensitive to the drone on the highway, and having gotten a ticket in the twisties because the cop "heard me coming" I prefer to be as stealthy as possible. I had heard the F-type was very civilized and quiet when just cruising down the highway, and indeed I found this to be the case. But any time you get on the gas, the F-type unleashes a howl and attracts lots of attention, even without the exhaust in sport mode.

Here's my brief summary of the Cayman S versus the F-Type S coupe:

Cayman better at:
Handling and feedback - especially on the track, less of a factor on the street
Rear Visibility
Luggage space - especially if you have something tall to haul
Weight (~600 lbs lighter!)
Width (5 inches narrower, easier to park and squeeze past stopped cars when turning)

F-type better at:
Ride quality - that weight yields a smooth ride, and the width makes for very little body roll
Noise - little wind or tire noise
Electronics - better integration with smartphone apps. Features like blind spot detection
Customizability - can program exactly what that "dynamic" button does

Appearance of course is subjective, you can decide that for yourself. The exhaust sound is also subjective - the F-type is designed to be "exciting". I saw someone rate the sound as orgasmic, I think this was very apt. One might think this would be a good thing, but there's a time and a place... And I strongly suspect the F-type is "faking it" :)

Price for nicely optioned models is almost the same - about $90K invoice. Although my wife spied a Macan at the Porsche dealer, so this could have serious repercussions.

So I ordered a Cayman S with 19" wheels, PASM, and no sport exhaust - the perfect car for me :) Build date in March, I can't wait!

Paul

·
Noob
843 Posts
Good choice.
BTW you got a ticket in San Jose for car exhaust noise? Or some other place

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good choice.
BTW you got a ticket in San Jose for car exhaust noise? Or some other place
The ticket was for speeding. But the cop heard me rowing through the gears before I even arrived at his hiding place off highway 9, and fired his motorcycle up so he was all ready for the chase (it doesn't get much better than that if you're a motorcycle cop on a twisty mountain road, right?). I'll never know, but if he hadn't already assumed I was speeding he might not even have tagged me, and if he had he might not have decided it was worth pursuing (I was doing 55 on a fairly straight section, not at all dangerous IMHO).

·
Registered
83 Posts
I looked at the F Type first also. Too big & the convertible didn't have enough trunk space to go on an overnight trip. Good looking car & liked the lane-change camera, but just too big.

·
Registered
55 Posts
When I was waiting for my 981S I looked at the F Type. I took an F type S for a test drive. I loved everything about the car until I checked out the trunk. I work OOT and go for 3 days at a time. There just wasn't nearly enough space for my luggage in the convertable. At the time, they had a loaded V8 that the owner had put a few thousand miles on and it would have been a great deal. If I had purchased it I would have had to send my luggage ahead via UPS each trip. LOL

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
A few other members and I have written up extensive comparisons between the two. No doubt about it, the F Type is an exciting car. It drove the coupe R, it was a screamer. Then I took the exit ramp with some speed, and bought my BGTS. It is still a nice car though, no doubt about it.

·
Premium Member
2,563 Posts
Thanks for the comparison......good information. My wife and I had some interest in the F Type and went to the dealer several months back. Parked right next to a couple F Types. Side by side (for us) the 981 Cayman was a better styled car. There are angles to the F Type that to me are borderline unattractive....3/4 front view from right or left is GTR-esque in my eyes. The rear view is Avanti. And, as previously stated heavier.....hard to compensate for weight in handling. So, just as in boating, if you do not care for the looks, it never gets better looking the longer you have it. All, of course, my POV.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Thanks for the impressions Paul, hope you enjoy the car. I have tried to like the F-type but it's a bit too large for a pure two seater.

A point of clarification: the width of the car doesn't really affect the amount of body roll. It comes down to the tuning of the shocks/springs and rollbars.

·
Vendor
6,493 Posts
You made the right choice! :)

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
The F-Type fell off my list for consideration rather unceremoniously when I decided I just wasn't excited enough about it to even bother trying to arrange a test drive. :) I love that it exists and I do like the look of them, but it just wasn't for me. Maybe if a manual had already been available I might have looked further into it, but it really seemed to favour luxury over pure sportiness and in the end, I decided I just wasn't the demographic it was made for.

·
Registered
92 Posts
My next door neighbour just sold his year-old F type. When looking at my car he said the difference is I will keep my car maybe 5/10/15 years, the jag is a car you'll sell in under 2 years

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
My next door neighbour just sold his year-old F type. When looking at my car he said the difference is I will keep my car maybe 5/10/15 years, the jag is a car you'll sell in under 2 years
But the same can be said about Porsches. Go the the Porsche USA site and you will find lots of used 2013 and 2014 Porsches.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
The F type is obese--an automatic rule out for me. Why buy car car that's about to get type 2 diabetes?

Also, while I know that off the track the advantage of mid-engine is probably somewhat more psychological than real, I confess to having always liked that sound behind me, where the racing car engineers say it belongs. As a young guy I lusted after a Lotus Europa but couldn't afford it. In middle age, I bought a new MR2 Turbo and kept it 20 years before a base 987 and now a 981 CS. Even at 3,000 lbs I consider the CS unnecessarily overweight. Why can't sports cars still be the size of the first round of 911s in the 1960s . . .

·
Registered
83 Posts
I too early on lusted for a Lotus Europa (yellow). Eventually, a used one appeared at European used car dealer. I sat in it & was in love, until the sales rep said I would need to be married to a British mechanic. Later, I met someone who had one, which was always in the shop for extended periods of time. So now I have my 981 CS (yellow).

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
I too early on lusted for a Lotus Europa (yellow). Eventually, a used one appeared at European used car dealer. I sat in it & was in love, until the sales rep said I would need to be married to a British mechanic. Later, I met someone who had one, which was always in the shop for extended periods of time. So now I have my 981 CS (yellow).
Couldn't a Toyota mechanic do the engine repairs?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The F type is obese--an automatic rule out for me. Why buy car car that's about to get type 2 diabetes?

Also, while I know that off the track the advantage of mid-engine is probably somewhat more psychological than real, I confess to having always liked that sound behind me, where the racing car engineers say it belongs.. . .
The sound on the F-type is very much behind you - all coming from the tailpipes!

·
Registered
903 Posts
Nope. A Europa is not an Elise. EVERYTHING broke on Europas. Nothing of it was made by Toyota.
S1 & S2 Lotus Europa's were Renault (under)powered, the later Europa's engines were powered by an English Ford based motor (105E?)
with a Lotus designed twin cam cross flow cylinder head. A friend still regularly drives his JPS Europa that he bought new. Great cars that weighed nothing and handled like contemporary Formula cars.

Back to the F Type, too large & too fat. Drove a few at a Jaguar driving event in a large parking lot gymkhana track, and it felt like riding a bull in a china shop.:crazy: But they do sound great.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts