Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening everyone...I hope you all are finding a dry place to hang your hat for the night!! Boy, what a mess in Rhode Island!! I wish I was as good with a camera as Pete...there are some awesome shots out there of Mother Nature in action. I could not believe all the water...I have never seen it this bad. I had to rescue my wife with the Hummer today. She was coming home and saw a "puddle" or small lake which she was scared to cross...especially seeing how there were disabled vehicles strewn about. So, she took the Hummer home and I looked for another way home. It took a while, but finally found my way. I hope everyone weathered the storm OK...and I would love to see pictures if anyone has any.

Chris

·
Zone 1 Member
83 Posts
Hope all is well in RI and elsewhere where the heaviest of this mess was. I was out in this in central CT today and it was just a steady downpour. I understand it was worse to the east (9 inches of rain???:crazy:).

Those of you who only take your cars out in perfect weather are missing seeing the capabilites of these cars in less than perfect conditions. The car was solid and handled the heavy rain with ease. Being able to visualize the airflow behind the car at highway speed was cool too.:burnout::burnout:

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
March 2010 is now the rainiest month in recorded weather history in many areas of MA and RI. In Boston, it's the second rainiest month ever and it's still raining as I write this. We've had two "fifty year" rain storms in the last two weeks. You can see a bunch of flooding photos here: Floods -- Massachusetts rain storm and flooding -- 2010 - Boston.com. It is truly epic!

·
Registered
317 Posts
Road Runner;447992 Those of you who only take your cars out in perfect weather are missing seeing the capabilites of these cars in less than perfect conditions. The car was solid and handled the heavy rain with ease. Being able to visualize the airflow behind the car at highway speed was cool too.:burnout::burnout:[/QUOTE said:
I too had my car out in the weather yesterday and the day before. My daily driver is a Ford Ranger pickup and even though there was the threat of falling branches and flying debris I opted to take my Cayman for this very reason. It is amazing how stable it is in the rain. Even when hitting a hidden puddle at speed the car barely flinches. I felt very safe on the road and my only worries were from the other drivers and the threat of debris.

Thankfully my house is on a hill so we were spared any flooding. But the surrounding towns are under water. What a mess :(

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
A friend had borrowed my truck for a few days so I had no choice but to drive the CS in this @#$%^. She braved more than a few 6" deep flooded underpasses with no problems. I guess it could have been the 914....not so sure that would have made it without taking on water. 914 = opposite of Hummer.

At one point yesterday we were trapped at work. Every road one could use to leave our business location was closed!! Fortunately one opened back up by 4:30 or so. I was pretty excited to get home and start pumping the 4" of water out of my FINISHED (not so much anymore) basement.

Still, many in RI, MA and CT have it much worse and I feel for them.

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
Fled RI yesterday for salubrious SW Florida. Just getting to the airport, I encountered three blocked off roads and got to the airport with 30 minutes to departure. 12 miles net in 50 minutes of driving. Never went through TSA so quickly; walked to the gate as the flight was boarding.....

I'm just thankful it wasn't snow.... In 1978 36" of snow shut down the state for a week.

·
Premium Member
4,145 Posts
Can we have some? Since last spring we've had maybe 2" of rain and perhaps 1.5' of snow (maybe equivalent to 2" of rain). Spring is here, the snow is melted and the ground is once again starting to crack. When rain clouds do appear, the rain gets absorbed in the air before it hits the ground (ie. virga). Normally we get about 18" a year.......must all be headed your way.

·
World's Foremost Authority
240 Posts
A friend had borrowed my truck for a few days so I had no choice but to drive the CS in this @#$%^. She braved more than a few 6" deep flooded underpasses with no problems. I guess it could have been the 914....not so sure that would have made it without taking on water. 914 = opposite of Hummer.

At one point yesterday we were trapped at work. Every road one could use to leave our business location was closed!! Fortunately one opened back up by 4:30 or so. I was pretty excited to get home and start pumping the 4" of water out of my FINISHED (not so much anymore) basement.

Still, many in RI, MA and CT have it much worse and I feel for them.
Marsha and I were thinking of you when we saw videos of flooding in Mystic. We're glad you were at least relatively unscathed.

CA

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.