Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Inspired by Formisano’s nice journal thread (http://www.planet-9.com/981-chat/102632-formisano-s-cayman-journal-pics.html) I offer you my version of the 981 Cayman GTS.
I've been on Planet 9 for 4 years starting with my 2006 Cayman S in Basalt Black over black. The many modifications to that car have appeared on this forum over those years. But, just last month (December 2014) my 2015 Cayman GTS arrived in Jet Black Metallic over black.

The purchase.
While I love my 06 CS, I began to get "GT3 fever" last year. (Actually I started with 993/964 fever, but that was cured pretty swiftly as prices kept skyrocketing!) So, after a few months of looking at six year old GT3s for $80,000 I realized I could get a Cayman GTS for the same money. Although I had promised I would never buy a new car again (who hasn't made that promise at some point?) I decided that I would probably own the GTS for four to five years, long enough to amortize my depreciation and not feel so bad about the decision.
Being a member of Planet-9 makes buying and owning a Cayman or Boxster so easy, it’s embarrassing. I realized I could find a 3% discount in a custom order, but only two of five dealers I contacted were willing to give me that—one in Arizona and the one in California I called. I’m sure many people don’t like buying out of state, as not only is the purchase at arms length, you then have to turn to your local dealer for warranty work having not bought the car from them. Still, the internet makes the market for cars a national one, and we all must face up to that fact. The negotiations were simple, the order went in and then I joined the “waiter’s club” on Planet 9! Only four short months and here it was:

The protection.
After modifying a 2005 MINI Cooper S to within a few parts of completely changing it, I had promised my wife I would not modify the 06 CS. Unfortunately promises are meant to be broken and I had installed PSS9 suspension within 3 months. Would I make the same promise to my wife regarding the GTS? Of course! But I did have to “protect my investment” with Xpel Ultimate clear mask over the front clip, rocker panels and windshield surround:

The wrap.
I was always planning to add a little CF texture wrap to the car, given it was black, and recognizing the very positive acceptance I’ve received from the selective wrapping I’d done to my 06 CS. Starting with the wing and diffuser:

Then the splitter:

Both these were wrapped on the car, and in difficult 40F degree weather. Vinyl wrap is a product that works very well at 70F or above, but gets particularly stiff and difficult to manipulate at lower temperatures. Thankfully we have heat guns!

The last external CF wrap piece was the intake surrounds:

Next to come, the interior!

·
Registered
143 Posts
congrats.
BTW I love those CF wrap pieces
cheers

·
Registered
507 Posts
I really like the CF wrap on the front bumper, it looks really nice! The contrast was definitely needed. Congrats on the purchase!

·
Registered
299 Posts
Great post, and beautiful car.
Update often!

Reactions: mcomet and isst

·
Registered
123 Posts
Congrats!! The car looks great. Looks like a high quality CF wrap job. Glad to see they were able to take care of you at Walter's. That's where I picked up my CR.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Congratulations on getting your GTS Phil. How it is optioned, realizing the GTS is pretty well setup to start with? I'm still enjoying my Cayman but like the idea of the GTS and hopefully GT4. To calm my new car fever and get used to writing larger checks I bought a 2015 Cayenne Diesel for my wife. Looking for used diesels was an eye opener as they hold their value very well.

BTW I'm back to stock trans axle mounts as I got tired of the extra sounds and NVH coming into my seat bottom.

Regards,

Rob

·
Premium Member
693 Posts
I've never been a real fan of CF wraps but yours looks great. Nice subtle contrast.

Congrats! Beauty!

·
Premium Member
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Congratulations on getting your GTS Phil. How it is optioned, realizing the GTS is pretty well setup to start with? I'm still enjoying my Cayman but like the idea of the GTS and hopefully GT4...Rob
Rob, I couldn't wait for the GT4...I needed instant gratification! I checked 2 options boxes: PDK and Platinum wheels. Jury is still out on the PDK, but I'm OK to wait until better weather and more miles on the car. Should be good by March over here and then I will give it the stick in every mode possible!
Maybe Porsches are meant to have manual transmissions...? Dare I think that?

·
Premium Member
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Rubber Chicken is referring to my CF road bike (NEO) that appears on the Weight Weenies (WW) website, I believe. It's an 11lb full-spec bike.

I put the finishing touches -- the vertical elements -- on the diffuser last night:

It's all finicky little bits that take the time!

·
Premium Member
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sunny day here in the desert southwest, so decided to install the new radiator grilles, and apply the visor in matte black.

Here's a close up of the grilles:

·
Premium Member
837 Posts
Zunsport grills? How long did it take you for the install? I'm thinking of ordering a set. They look good.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts