Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Still thinking about getting a duck-tail, as I was looking for a good side view profile photo I found this video clip where this guy walks around his 987 a few times and you can see the wing from a few different points of view. (Just wish it was body color so I could see how it blends in better) https://youtu.be/rbLqUWwZWmI

·
Registered
82 Posts

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
These photos help. Thanks Dave.

So if I want to order one, there is just one style? I was thinking Guards Red with no black highlight so it blends in and looks like part of the car. The photos with the black lip and carbon fiber underneath don't look half bad. Any recommendations? Not sure what to ask?

Attachments

·
Registered
103 Posts
Any possibilities of a ducktail for Boxsters? Specifically, one that doesn't require installing a Cayman bumper to get rid of the gap that Cayman spoilers leave? Or maybe an additional insert to add to the spoiler or to the bumper to neatly fill in that gap?

Just a thought.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hi justaddcoffee,

Our Spoiler will fit on the Boxster (2006 through 2012 and possibly the 2005). While originally designed for the Cayman 2006-2012 as a direct replacement it will fit a Boxster but requires the purchase of the Cayman Lower Piece (Rear Spoiler Mount) # 987 504 623 00 for the conversion. Available from Porsche Dealers direct or from one of the on-line sellers such as SunCoast Porsche. The cost is around $110.00 to $175.00 USD.

I don’t have any photos of our Spoiler on a Boxster but this link shows a few photos of how it will look. The Spoiler on Arione’s Boxster isn't ours however looks the same. There will be the gap mentioned when raised but it may be possible to modify the stock Boxster piece to fill this in.

http://www.planet-9.com/987-cayman-and-boxster-modifications/203385-pdp-side-scoop-review-987-1-a.html#post1875338

Dave

·
Registered
707 Posts
So I probably should have asked before I bought my ducktail which is enroute to me...

What effect does it have on aero? Does it really reduce lift and by how much more? Drag? Did anyone actually wind tunnel it?

Mod Chow posted a good article abut wings on another thread.. led me to wonder about ducktail spoilers.

·
Registered
687 Posts
So I probably should have asked before I bought my ducktail which is enroute to me...

What effect does it have on aero? Does it really reduce lift and by how much more? Drag? Did anyone actually wind tunnel it?

Mod Chow posted a good article abut wings on another thread.. led me to wonder about ducktail spoilers.
Very few companies making mods like these, publish drag and lift. Likely the parts are for looks and not performance. I don’t even recall Porsche publishing data for their ‘aero kits’, where they usually do for the stock cars. YMMV.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
707 Posts
I was reading up on pelican parts and there was an article where several mentioned duck tails maybe can reduce lift and drag. No real data though.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Mythology is that when Porsche was wind tunnel testing a 911, they propped open the rear engine cover to improve the cooling of the stationary car. The engineers were surprised that rear lift dropped by over 100lbs at speed, and refined that discovery into the Carrera RS ducktail. Or so the story goes. Once upon a time I saw data from that testing, but the location has long since left me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

41 - 50 of 50 Posts