Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a 2014 Cayman S recently. Dutifully read through the manual but cannot figure out how to stop the radio and A/C from being on at start-up. Kindly school the rook.

TIA

·
Registered
340 Posts
Bought a 2014 Cayman S recently. Dutifully read through the manual but cannot figure out how to stop the radio and A/C from being on at start

I know how you feel since there is no off button on the radio, sometimes I press mute and then when I get in later it's blasting. As for my AC, every restart of the car puts it at 74 degrees. I couldn't even get a 4th line for battery alt to save on the little dash screen. I even tried saving these to the driver setting on the door, but no go, just a mildly annoying thing to put up with...that you shouldn't have to put up with on a car this expensive.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Impossible to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
189 Posts
I'm not 100% sure if this will work for all cars, but in mine here's what I did.

Set everything the way you want it, seats, mirrors, radio, AC, etc...
Press the set button and then press the key button. (This stores the current settings to the key you are currently using.)
Get out of the car and lock it with the key/remote. (This finalizes the storing of the settings to the key.)

To verify, unlock the car, get in and screw with your settings, get out and lock it again, unlock and verify that everything goes back to the stored settings.

Here are the official instructions: Page 30 | 2013-2016 Cayman Manual | Porsche iManuals

·
Registered
737 Posts
I didn't know about having to get out and lock the car to finalize the key program settings. I also just assumed my car memory was a dud. Definitely will have to try this out next time im in the car.

My wife drives the car, most of the time, and I can barely get in after she's been driving.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I do not think that the ac fan can be prevented from turning on at start up. The radio, however can be turned off. Just push in the left knob and then hold it depressed for a few seconds. Just pressing it will mute but holding it in will turn off the radio.

williamr

·
Registered
267 Posts
Note that turning off the radio by pressing and holding actually disables all PCM screen functions including the visual parking sensor display and the reversing camera if you have them.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Bought a 2014 Cayman S recently. Dutifully read through the manual but cannot figure out how to stop the radio and A/C from being on at start-up. Kindly school the rook.

TIA
Change the radio to "Aux" before you shut off the car and the car will restart in Aux which is silent. Unfortunately, if you change it to any other setting while driving and shut off the car with it still set on that other audio source, it will still be there when you start the car again. There is one annoying exception, if you shut the car off when set to Bluetooth Audio, it will "roll" to the next available source upon starting the car again because Bluetooth is no connected upon start. This means it will roll to FM and it will BLAST you because you have to have volume up pretty loud to hear the Bluetooth source.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Get out of the car and lock it with the key/remote. (This finalizes the storing of the settings to the key.) To verify, unlock the car, get in and screw with your settings, get out and lock it again, unlock and verify that everything goes back to the stored settings.
That's only correct if you have 'auto memory' checked. Guess you missed the last sentence on the page you posted;). With 'auto memory', every time you lock the car, the current settings are stored, erasing the previous ones. Most of us, DO NOT want that. Without 'auto memory', as soon as you click the 'set' and 'key' switches, the settings are stored on that key. If you use the spare key, you'd have to set them again on that key.

I didn't know about having to get out and lock the car to finalize the key program settings.
As stated above, not the case if you don't have 'auto memory' checked;).

And yes, every time you start the car, both the radio and HVAC fan come on, unfortunately. As stated, you could turn PCM off, but if you have sensors, they won't work, so not an option for those of us with them. The HVAC settings are remembered, but fan always turns on at speed '1'. Every time I start the car my routine is to turn the ignition on (from outside the car), and while the system initializes, turn fan and stereo off, and 'sport' mode on, then press the brake with my right hand and start engine with the left. I only climb into the car when ready to leave, since I don't touch the seat while climbing in or out of the car. Easier to start it sitting on the sill (have plenty of space in my garage);).

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
I'm not 100% sure if this will work for all cars, but in mine here's what I did.

Press the set button and then press the key button. (This stores the current settings to the key you are currently using.)
Get out of the car and lock it with the key/remote. (This finalizes the storing of the settings to the key.)

To verify, unlock the car, get in and screw with your settings, get out and lock it again, unlock and verify that everything goes back to the stored settings.
Here are the official instructions: Page 30 | 2013-2016 Cayman Manual | Porsche iManuals
You have to have the memory package, which is not standard. That page of the manual implies that you need fully electric (14 or 18 way) seats. I certainly don't have it.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts

TIA
May depend on options so your mileage may vary. Press and hold the volume knob on your radio until it shuts off completely (about 3 seconds). Then turn off your car and walk away. On mine it stays off forever unless I turn it back on.

I have the memory package and have set auto remember settings to on.

You cannot tell the car to start without any air circulation under any circumstances as far as I know. If you have memory then AC can be turned off by default.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I know how you feel since there is no off button on the radio, sometimes I press mute and then when I get in later it's blasting.
The option to have the volume set to 0 on startup is something that I miss from the SmartTop but I don't think we will be replacing it after it fried due to a water leak.

Most of us, DO NOT want that. Without 'auto memory', as soon as you click the 'set' and 'key' switches, the settings are stored on that key. If you use the spare key, you'd have to set them again on that key.
How did you determine that most don't? I'm not arguing that most do. I have no idea as I haven't polled people.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You have to have the memory package, which is not standard. That page of the manual implies that you need fully electric (14 or 18 way) seats. I certainly don't have it.
Car does not have Memory Package. Oddly, at least to me, is the PCM still gives the option to select Auto Memory on or off.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
To OP, I agree with two posters telling you to long-press left knob - that will shut the radio AND the TV off for good, just as God intended it to be in a sports car. Mine doesn't start on restart and it will stay off until who knows when, I have no memory packages I know of and I have not even run through the Settings menu once since I had the car, about 12 months and 2 weeks. Everything in it is set exactly as factory or dealer left it - I personally felt no need to change anything*. As long as I can see oil temp, water temp and the rest is done fully manually (even AC), I had no needs to change anything nor did I have any problems. Enjoy your car!

*______
Tire pressures tickled my fancy a bit, but that means changing back and forth with temps for which I am way too lazy and indisposed. I will probably add voltage readout once car is 4 years old, but for now there is no need for that.

·
Registered
62 Posts

Does this actually work on your radio too? As in if you follow the procedure you outline above, will the car remember that you left the radio on Mute when you get back in?

·
Registered
483 Posts
Does this actually work on your radio too? As in if you follow the procedure you outline above, will the car remember that you left the radio on Mute when you get back in?
He's going to tell you no. Or I'm going to the dealer, because this won't work on mine.

Frustrating, this.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I never tried setting the audio system to mute and then resetting the key memory. I did set the volume to a fairly low level so I can hear and listen to the car during start up, and then readjust the volume after I'm under way. That low volume setting is remembered each time I start the car.

OH, note that ELP_JC is correct. I do not have 'auto memory' enabled, I would not want my settings to change each time I lock and unlock the car. I'm not sure if the lock/unlock step is required after pressing the set and key buttons, but that's how I've done it and it seems to work with my car.

·
Registered
66 Posts
At a minimum, with automatic saving of the memory disabled, the AC settings stay exactly where I want after manually saving my settings to the key-specific memory slot.

·
Registered
66 Posts
More specifically, I have the AC set to my favorite temperature (74°), but at the lowest vent setting and with AC off. So when I start the car, the AC is effectively off.

But then I just need to press the "AUTO" button, and the AC is on at the right strength and temperature.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.