Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have a MY 2010 Cayman S. My battery just died, and would like to replace it with an genuine Porsche one -- yes, I'm that OCD. For some reason, this car came with a 70 Ah battery, part number 99961107020. My dealer has just one available, but has some scratches. They also have several 99961107021 (part number ends in 21 as opposed to 20). They say the 21 replaced the 20, but I'm not so sure. I've looked over the web, and while the supposedly new part number shows as a genuine Porsche battery, it is not associated to any particular model. Any ideas?

Thanks a lot for reading.

·
PCA Member and DE Instructor
3,078 Posts
Did you do the same search on your existing battery? Was it tied to a specific model?

·
Super Moderator
13,942 Posts
Hello,

I have a MY 2010 Cayman S. My battery just died, and would like to replace it with an genuine Porsche one -- yes, I'm that OCD. For some reason, this car came with a 70 Ah battery, part number 99961107020. My dealer has just one available, but has some scratches. They also have several 99961107021 (part number ends in 21 as opposed to 20). They say the 21 replaced the 20, but I'm not so sure. I've looked over the web, and while the supposedly new part number shows as a genuine Porsche battery, it is not associated to any particular model. Any ideas?

Thanks a lot for reading.
99961107020 battery for 2010 Porsche Cayman. #99961108020 no longer available.

Since they don't put the acid in the battery and charge is until its ready to go in a car, it would not bother me to buy the old one from your dealer.

Sonnen has some 2010 Porsche Cayman Parts - Porsche OEM Parts - Genuine Factory Parts Accessories - Wholesale

Why don't you believe your dealer that it will fit?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did you do the same search on your existing battery? Was it tied to a specific model?
Thanks amdeutsch for your reply. My current battery ends in 00 and apparently is not available anymore. On the 2010MY diagrams, it appears to have been replaced by the one that ends in 20 -- or perhaps by the one that ends in 21, if we go by what the dealer says.

·
PCA Member and DE Instructor
3,078 Posts
So a 00 was original, someone replaced it with a 20, and now the dealer says 21. What again are your doubts in this whole process?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
99961107020 battery for 2010 Porsche Cayman. #99961108020 no longer available.

Since they don't put the acid in the battery and charge is until its ready to go in a car, it would not bother me to buy the old one from your dealer.

Sonnen has some 2010 Porsche Cayman Parts - Porsche OEM Parts - Genuine Factory Parts Accessories - Wholesale

Why don't you believe your dealer that it will fit?
Thanks chows4us for reading and taking the time to reply. I think I was too vague in my phrasing -- my aplogies. I do have almost blind faith in my dealer; been buying from them for the past 12+ years. However, I'm OCD when it comes to my cars, and was rather curious on why the battery ending in 21, although a genuine Porsche part, does not seem to be associated with a specific model. Could it be the case that, as you pointed out, the 20 is been phased out and replaced by the 21?

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
The going rate for a dealer installed battery is just over $400 comprising the battery, one hour of labor , and one hour of diagnostic time. If you can get over your affliction, just find a shop that can do a generic battery without scratches and save 50 to 75 percent.

·
Registered
810 Posts
There is nothing special about a Porsche battery- it's just a battery with the same chemistry as every other battery on the market. It's not even really a Porsche battery, just a battery they bought from a 3rd party manufacturer and slapped a Porsche part # on. Every auto parts store, even Wal-Mart, sells a battery that's fully compatible with your Porsche Cayman. Should cost you well under $150. Most auto parts stores will even install it for you for free.

I'm an electrical engineer and I work a lot with industrial batteries in some pretty critical applications. I'll be putting a Wal-Mart battery in my 2010 Boxster S later this year.

·
Registered
320 Posts
The Cayman battery is a Group 49 Lead Acid battery with Right Positive posts.

I installed the Rayovak SLI49H8 purchased from Batteries Plus. Works just fine.

FYI, I am NOT an electrical engineer. :)

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
Agree with above. When the orginal CS 06 battery tested weak, I wasn't about to wait for it to die and lock the frunk. I replaced it with an AutoCraft Gold Battery, Group size 94R, 730 cold crank amps, from local auto parts store, $166. Did it myself in a few minutes. No issues.

If there is one thing you should be able to do yourself on a CS, it's replace the battery. It's a commodity, not a fancy part.

·
Incurable Gearhead
993 Posts
While on the topic, about how long does the original battery live? I'd like to do something lighter when it does go, but am not in a hurry and take good care of this one, so I'm guessing it'll go a long time. My '11 987.2 is a fair weather toy that lives on a battery tender in a climate controlled garage. Pretty easy life going on about 23k miles.

·
Registered
810 Posts
While on the topic, about how long does the original battery live? I'd like to do something lighter when it does go, but am not in a hurry and take good care of this one, so I'm guessing it'll go a long time. My '11 987.2 is a fair weather toy that lives on a battery tender in a climate controlled garage. Pretty easy life going on about 23k miles.
Heat kills them, and baking in the sun all summer long takes a lot of life out. 3-4 years is normal, sometimes longer if you're lucky.

·
Registered
17 Posts
A note on Porsche part numbers. The last 2 digits seem to be a revision number. It always increments as design, mfg or vendor changes occur. It is my understanding that, as long as the 1st 9 digits match, it is a compatible part, although you can compare the last 2 digits to identify the latest or earlier revisions.

·
Senior Porsche Financier
733 Posts
Porsche batteries *are* special, bless the little duckers -- they die early, often and are very expensive.

Replaced my battery in my '06 CS yesterday with the Auto Zone house brand “gold” - 5yr battery, $190 installed, and it even had a hole in the fit spot for the vent tube.

You're going to pay dearly for those Porsche electrons.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you for all your comments --- very much appreciated. Eventually, the dealer was able to get me a brand new 999 611 070 20 (70 AH battery), identical to what the car originally had, at a very good discount, so it didn't make much sense to go after market. Plus they made a home delivery :) The previous one lasted 5 years, which I don't think is too bad.

·
Premium Member
5,866 Posts
Glad you got the "proper" battery. :cheers:

I too am OCD but when my battery died I got an Interstate.

·
Registered
857 Posts
The Cayman battery is a Group 49 Lead Acid battery with Right Positive posts.

I installed the Rayovak SLI49H8 purchased from Batteries Plus. Works just fine.

FYI, I am NOT an electrical engineer. :)
Based on the complexity of our cars, the complete retentive nature of certain posters, It has to be impossible that a walmart battery is as good as a Porsche installed battery. Porsche charges twice as much it therefore must be twice as good, or perhaps 3 or 4 times as good! Heck if you get the Porsche motorsport battery, for 3.2K, it is 100 times as good, makes your lap times and driving skill comparable with that of Hamilton! I for one am getting at least 5 to put in my car... Heck that and the 6K titanium exhaust on my car, I can probably beat most in F1!! :hilarious::hilarious:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts