Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm close to finalizing my order for a CGTS build slot in September. I'm pretty much set in my order except for the wheels. It's definitely going to be the Carrera S wheels but the decision is either to go standard silver or platinum satin. Paint color is going to be Sapphire Blue. It seems platinum satin is very popular with this paint color but I'm concerned about durability of that finish. The rough finish might cause brake dust and dirt to stick to the finish more. I'm also not sure about possible chips and peeling vs the standard silver.

Anyone with the platinum satin wheels care to offer some insight on your experience?

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
I've had both finishes and the Platinum Satin seems no more prone to chips in my experience. The platinum definitely hides brake dust better. I think it comes down to color pairing with your exterior color. With Sapphire Blue you could go either way and not make a mistake.

Reactions: Kindrunnermike

·
Registered
260 Posts
I can say this with confidence, the standard silver paint is not durable! Can't imagine the platinum satin would be worse

·
Premium Member
1,847 Posts
Satin platinum sucks as a finish. I can't believe I actually paid for it! As said, it is almost impossible to find a touch up paint (I just hit a rock, got a new tire, and went to our local alloy wheel repair guy only to hear him say that he doesn't have the paint to fix my wheel!) The finish never looks clean to me, and because it's "satin" it is not smooth or glossy, so things stick to it. Especially brake pad dust! I've had wheels with silver and gloss black and other finishes, and satin platinum is the worst by a long chalk.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it. If it gets really bad after many miles of usage, then just paint the wheels again.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
I have 14k+ miles on the same wheels on my Sapphire Blue Cayman S. Zero issues. I love the color and with Sonax Full Effect cleaner they look great with very little effort.

I rate the finish a 10!

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Satin platinum sucks as a finish. I can't believe I actually paid for it! As said, it is almost impossible to find a touch up paint (I just hit a rock, got a new tire, and went to our local alloy wheel repair guy only to hear him say that he doesn't have the paint to fix my wheel!) The finish never looks clean to me, and because it's "satin" it is not smooth or glossy, so things stick to it. Especially brake pad dust! I've had wheels with silver and gloss black and other finishes, and satin platinum is the worst by a long chalk.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Geez, Dr. Phil you have a very strong negative feeling about the platinum satin finish. I think any wheel is going to get buggered up given the abuse it takes on the road and track. What specifically do you expect from a wheel finish. My silver wheels were always coated with dust within minutes and showed as such. At least the color of the Satin Platinum wheels disguise the dust.

·
Registered
260 Posts
If silver sucks and platinum satin sucks, what do those people recommend? Aftermarket wheels?
My suggestion to the OP would be not to base his decision on the durability of the finish but rather what he prefers in terms of color. I've resigned myself to Zinger's solution - wheels will just need to be refinished when they get bad enough to really bother me. Of course, aftermarket is always an option.

·
Registered
222 Posts
You could always plastidip them of you want to try something different. I like the platinum finish, as it does hide brake dust. Mine are in great shape with 8k on the disl. If you like the look, buy it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Other than curb rash, I've never had a wheel that I had to refinish just due to normal driving. Both OEM and aftermarket. Are we talking major blemishes on the wheels here or just tiny rock chips?

I put 60k miles on the wheels on my M3 and they look near perfect.

·
Registered
93 Posts
When clean, one coat of Gtechniq C5 followed by 2 coats of Gtechniq Exo (repeat Exo once a year). Anything that does stick to it washes off very easily!

IMG_1788.JPG IMG_1776.JPG

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
My Carrera S wheels are the most damage prone wheels I've ever had on any car I've owned. I have less than 10,000 miles on my car, and the wheels already have numerous small paint chips. If you drive on any roads that have loose gravel or rocks, these wheels will take some paint damage. It costs about $150 per wheel for a complete refinish, and I think that will be routine maintenance every few years. Maybe I'll just buy some steel wheels with hubcaps.

Reactions: PeterR and DBJH

·
Registered
35 Posts
I've heard that powder coating is much more durable than paint. I'm considering having my regular finish wheels done in black powder coat, which should look great with guards red. I think there is a powder coat color near the factory platinum color.

·
Registered
5,485 Posts
I'm close to finalizing my order for a CGTS build slot in September. I'm pretty much set in my order except for the wheels. It's definitely going to be the Carrera S wheels but the decision is either to go standard silver or platinum satin. Paint color is going to be Sapphire Blue. It seems platinum satin is very popular with this paint color but I'm concerned about durability of that finish. The rough finish might cause brake dust and dirt to stick to the finish more. I'm also not sure about possible chips and peeling vs the standard silver.

Anyone with the platinum satin wheels care to offer some insight on your experience?
I have to disagree with Dr. Phil!

After 2 years with Satin Platinum wheels all I can say is they were awesome, like any painted wheel sure they can chip but the colour definitely hid the brake dust. I coated mine with wax right from the start, a little wheel cleaner and a blast from the hose and they didn't need a real wash until every second or third bath... looked like new when I turned the car into the dealer last month.

I loved them so much they are coming on the replacement Boxster GTS! ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
266 Posts
I love my Platinum Satin wheels, and I haven't noticed any durability problems in the first year.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Platinum Satin wheels are the best!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I kept the wheels from my Boxster and transferred them to my Cayman....so mine have about 25,000 combined miles on them now...ZERO chips or defects. I find them extremely durable, and not that difficult to keep clean. Even when they're dirty they just look more matte, not necessarily dirty. I love them.

Reactions: wellhouse

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I decided to stick with the standard silver finish mostly because I think I like the look of the silver on the sapphire paint.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts