Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok folks, Durametric for our cars seems to work now.

Changed the oil and filter and checked everything over according to due date, all good.

Just downloaded the newest version and connected to our car, reset oil and service interval, scanned everything and no codes or faults.

I had the Cable for a while now, used it on the 986 S and the Cayenne S, now it is the last VIN # with our new Boxster, glad I bought it!

Anybody have some things we are able to modify like seatbelt chime and such? Any other interesting things we may be able to change or code differently, e.g. Use the remote to open windows?

Later,
Andy

·
Premium Member
2,618 Posts
What other abilities do you gain besides resetting the service interval?
Agree Noah and same Q to Andy,

I checked into the Durametric and talked to them personally late last summer. I was advised that all it would do at that time was clear the required service - Oil Change - code/interval. The other diagnostics and monitoring touted on their website was only applicable to the older models - for example 987 and 911s. They said such capabilities were not (then at least) available for the next generation of Porsche - 981 or 991's.

So I passed. Maybe they have now moved forward and unit has much greater utility.

ANDY. Can you advise what other uses it has now for FEI?:thanks:

:cheers:

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, for now I did not play around much but what I can see is that data logging is possible, fault code reading and codes, individual system checks, coding in some areas and some more things. Compared to version 5 for the older cars we owned it looks very similar in functions. Also, over revs in 6 ranges are shown including when it happened. Reading last years reviews it seems to me that significant advances have been made.

Not that I want to recode everything but some things might be fun to do. Most importantly I can do service work myself and save a bunch of $$$ that way. Over the years this cable/firmware/software has been an excellent investment for us. The value increases a lot the older the car is, I was able to diagnose various issues on the Cayenne and 986 and pinpoint certain issues. On the 986 e.g. I was able to calibrate the bigger throttle body I installed, adapt for a different exhaust and take care of the secondary cat delete and such.

All in in all happy and looking forward to do more work. I guess since our cars are relatively new not a lot of people tinker with them as of now but this can only get better, right?

:dance:

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
Well, for now I did not play around much but what I can see is that data logging is possible, fault code reading and codes, individual system checks, coding in some areas and some more things. Compared to version 5 for the older cars we owned it looks very similar in functions. Also, over revs in 6 ranges are shown including when it happened. Reading last years reviews it seems to me that significant advances have been made.

Not that I want to recode everything but some things might be fun to do. Most importantly I can do service work myself and save a bunch of $$$ that way. Over the years this cable/firmware/software has been an excellent investment for us. The value increases a lot the older the car is, I was able to diagnose various issues on the Cayenne and 986 and pinpoint certain issues. On the 986 e.g. I was able to calibrate the bigger throttle body I installed, adapt for a different exhaust and take care of the secondary cat delete and such.

All in in all happy and looking forward to do more work. I guess since our cars are relatively new not a lot of people tinker with them as of now but this can only get better, right?

:dance:
Since it sounds like you have the Enthusiast version, no coding is possible, even if everything worked for the 981. I believe the old version (software pre 6.xx) did allow coding for the 986.

I think what Noah and L-G were asking was if the full functionality actually functioned correctly for the 981. I know they appear in the menu. I seem to recall that the ECU was encrypted differently, which limited 3rd party support to the standard OBDII messages.

Reactions: Lime-Gold

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, enthusiast version..... Sorry, maybe I was not clear enough, I did not do any coding and such, it appears that way... Too bad then!
I would love to see these things work.

·
Premium Member
2,618 Posts
:thanks:Andy,

Appreciate the come back. I guess I will wait some more.

:cheers:

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
I have had the enthusiast version for several years. Used it on two previous 911's. I does everything on my 981 as it did on the 911's. No coding, but you can set service reminders check and re-set service reminders, check and re-set fault codes. Look at data such as over-revs, engine hours, and check stuff like TPMS battery levels. I'm sure there are operations I don't know about. It is not expensive and I can't imagine not having one. When I got my 981 CS in March 2014 I called Durametric and the tech hooked me up with the new software even before it was officially available. They are very helpful. I really would like to have the pro version so I could do stuff like make my white side markers blink with the turn signals. I saw that done and it is pretty cool. I maybe shouldn't say this because I'm not certain they honor this for everyone, but I talked to them and because I wanted to use mine to check over-revs on potential vehicles to purchase, they told me they would on a one time basis add three more vehicles to my enthusiast version. Great support and great tool. Buy it for sure. It will pay for itself in service reminder re-sets alone if you do your own maintenance.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Can it turn off the airbag warning light. I just installed 996 GT-3 seats in my 09 CS and I have the enthusiast Durametric cable. What is the best place for instructions? Thanks

·
Registered
497 Posts
I have been using Durametric for years, and have used it several times to reset the service warning on my 981. Upon reading this thread, it came to mind that when the time comes for us to replace our batteries, a trip is required to the dealer to reset something in one of the ECU's relative to the start/stop system. So effectively, we need to go to the dealer for battery replacement, unless Durametric can reset the ECU.

I contacted Durametric regarding this and was told that no the software can not reset this issue at this time, but hopefully in the next update they will be able to add this capability.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Does it work on Windows 8.1 yet? I hate having to use my ancient slow laptop with dim screen, but it has XP Pro.

·
Premium Member
2,524 Posts
Can it turn off the airbag warning light. I just installed 996 GT-3 seats in my 09 CS and I have the enthusiast Durametric cable. What is the best place for instructions? Thanks
If the light is on due to removal of the airbag you need the pro version to do the coding change to tell the car the airbag isn't there.

Sorry, don't have time to do the search but if you run a search on Durametric you should find instructions. Most of it is for pro. With enthusiast you can reset service minders, check and clear fault codes and read actual values while running. Most of it's pretty straight forward. At least for my 2008. It's when you get into coding where you have to make changes in multiple modules that it becomes tricky and having someone already having done it are the instructions really handy.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I have a Pro cable in Austin if anyone in the area ever needs to use one, haven't played around with it too much but as far as I can tell still no coding options available for 981s, did change side markers to turn signal indicators for a friend on his 987

·
Premium Member
2,675 Posts
Does the 981 pro version provide control unit programming ?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts