Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I figured I'd be able to gain some information regarding the "fast" line at Sebring, but those cars stick like glue and run a line my stock setup could not come close to holding! I certainly am an amateur and do not posses nearly the skills (or balls) of the professional racers, but surely there is some information I can gleem to better my lap times. Any ideas what I should be watching for?
:thanks:

·
Administrator
34,474 Posts
Have you checked with our sponsor Guy Cosmo? He is in your area and can certainly help make you a better driver. I don't see how we can help you much over the web, as opposed to a professional showing you in person. I can give you general advice such as "be smooth" only by being smooth will you eventually get "fast", and have a great sense of balance. There are also books you can pick up, the 2nd handbook from Vic Elford would be helpful (tell Vic I said Hello if you order), but I would strongly recommend that you talk to Guy Cosmo and set something up with him.

·
Sexual Philanthropist
1,001 Posts
Checkout the chin motorsports website. They have videos of the DE line from Sebring there. I think one of my old videos is still on there.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I figured I'd be able to gain some information regarding the "fast" line at Sebring, but those cars stick like glue and run a line my stock setup could not come close to holding! I certainly am an amateur and do not posses nearly the skills (or balls) of the professional racers, but surely there is some information I can gleem to better my lap times. Any ideas what I should be watching for?
I don't know the line at Sebring and I don't know anything about your driving skills or stock setup, but this is my opinion. The line these professionals are driving is almost certainly the fastest line. If your car can't hold that line, then, in my opinion, you are overdriving your car. You will have faster lap times if you slow down a bit, just enough so that your car CAN hold the line that these professionals are driving.

·
Registered
50 Posts
have you thought about adding computer / game console racing as a way to "see" the line?

Forza Motorsport 3 on the XBOX360 and iracing.com on the PC are excellent sims.

·
Crusin worlds most isolated city
3,755 Posts
I don't know the line at Sebring and I don't know anything about your driving skills or stock setup, but this is my opinion. The line these professionals are driving is almost certainly the fastest line. If your car can't hold that line, then, in my opinion, you are overdriving your car. You will have faster lap times if you slow down a bit, just enough so that your car CAN hold the line that these professionals are driving.
+1, Exactly what I was going to say.
Follow their line. Remember, slow in fast out.

·
Tennessee Vol
649 Posts
I was at the Sebring 12-Hour race and have run nearly 20 events at Sebring with Chin Motorsports. The line that I take is close to that taken by the ALMS GT2 and GTC cars (of course not nearly as fast). However, you will not learn a lot form the TV coverage. I suggest that you continue to work with a master instructor. They know the line and will really help. Also, look at in-car video from other drivers.

The Flying Lizard #45 Porsche was running lap times around 2:00 min flat!

I will be back at Sebring April 17 and 18. Look me up.

·
Administrator
34,474 Posts
+1, Exactly what I was going to say.
Follow their line. Remember, slow in fast out.
Ummm no that's not correct for a Cayman, it is correct for old 911's and a favorite saying around DE's among instructors who don't know any better, but the real answer is "as fast as you can possibly go in, through and out of the corner" is what is fastest. The Cayman can carry more speed into and through a corner than a 911 can, the 911 excels at coming out of the corner by having the weight shift backwards over the rear wheels which are gripping under full throttle to launch out of the corner.

If you drive a Cayman this way you will be slower than you otherwise would be if you took the corner at the maximum velocity possible. Most people would be amazed to be in a Cayman at the hands of a pro and see just how much speed you can hold in the corners, even on stock tires.

The process that I've seen that works for the best for the Cayman is to come into the braking zone and do a quick hard hammer on the brakes to get the speed down to just Above the maximum corner holding speed, then trail brake into the corner reaching the maximum corner holding speed just prior to the Apex, glide through the apex under even but minimal throttle and as speed begins to scrub due to friction start adding throttle and then begin to apply the throttle in a smooth but firm fashion accelerating out of the corner and onto the next straight.

That is quite a bit different from the old 911 strategy of get all your braking down before the corner, turn in and start accelerating, which again is not the fastest way through a corner in a Cayman.

Hope that helps...

·
Administrator
34,474 Posts
I was at the Sebring 12-Hour race and have run nearly 20 events at Sebring with Chin Motorsports. The line that I take is close to that taken by the ALMS GT2 and GTC cars (of course not nearly as fast). However, you will not learn a lot form the TV coverage. I suggest that you continue to work with a master instructor. They know the line and will really help. Also, look at in-car video from other drivers.

The Flying Lizard #45 Porsche was running lap times around 2:00 min flat!

I will be back at Sebring April 17 and 18. Look me up.
2 mins flat? Wow that's like 30 seconds faster than Ernie in his Cayman according to our lap times database, assuming there is only 1 configuration for the track, I don't know the track other than from video games. Hmmm maybe I need to break out Forza 3 and see if I can do 2 min flat in a Cayman. :) :)

·
Crusin worlds most isolated city
3,755 Posts
Ummm no that's not correct for a Cayman, it is correct for old 911's and a favorite saying around DE's among instructors who don't know any better, but the real answer is "as fast as you can possibly go in, through and out of the corner" is what is fastest. The Cayman can carry more speed into and through a corner than a 911 can, the 911 excels at coming out of the corner by having the weight shift backwards over the rear wheels which are gripping under full throttle to launch out of the corner.

If you drive a Cayman this way you will be slower than you otherwise would be if you took the corner at the maximum velocity possible. Most people would be amazed to be in a Cayman at the hands of a pro and see just how much speed you can hold in the corners, even on stock tires.

The process that I've seen that works for the best for the Cayman is to come into the braking zone and do a quick hard hammer on the brakes to get the speed down to just Above the maximum corner holding speed, then trail brake into the corner reaching the maximum corner holding speed just prior to the Apex, glide through the apex under even but minimal throttle and as speed begins to scrub due to friction start adding throttle and then begin to apply the throttle in a smooth but firm fashion accelerating out of the corner and onto the next straight.

That is quite a bit different from the old 911 strategy of get all your braking down before the corner, turn in and start accelerating, which again is not the fastest way through a corner in a Cayman. You got that right!

Hope that helps...
Very well put and that is in line with what I do, however I guess my my reply was too brief.
What I was alluding too, was if you cant maintain your lines you may be overcooking the corner entry.

·
Sexual Philanthropist
1,001 Posts
Keep in mind as well that the race line is not necessarily the fastest line. You must protect from being passed and this often puts you in a defensive position in many corners that is not ideal for the fastest lap times but will keep someone behind you. Also in endurance racing there are multiple classes on the track at the same time and they are driving looking in every direction and moving around accordingly. There are a few configurations for Sebring but only one is used for races and most DEs. Sometimes they run the "short course" in some DEs and for corporate events or schools they can break it into 3 different sections. The 12 hr course is the 2+ mintue configuration. A very well driven CS on stock on street tires should be able to get down to the low 30s. Race prepped CS gen I and II are in the mid to low 20s.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Very well put and that is in line with what I do, however I guess my my reply was too brief.
What I was alluding too, was if you cant maintain your lines you may be overcooking the corner entry.
Exactly. My take on the "slow in" part of the equation is just slow enough to maintain your line. If you overcook the entry, you'll likely plow through the corner, not apex properly, and not be able to get on the throttle early (the "fast out" part of the equation). Remember, the original poster said he could not hold the line. This is most likely due to overcooking the corner entry.

·
Tennessee Vol
649 Posts
2 mins flat? Wow that's like 30 seconds faster than Ernie in his Cayman according to our lap times database, assuming there is only 1 configuration for the track, I don't know the track other than from video games. Hmmm maybe I need to break out Forza 3 and see if I can do 2 min flat in a Cayman. :) :)
My best times to date are in the mid-2:30s on Mich Cup tires. I should be able to shave more off of that with practice and an additional set of testicles. Turn 17 is the main pucker turn - - fast and bumpy.

The P1 cars were in the 1:40s!

·
Registered
9 Posts
There has been some great advice posted here about how to be faster in the track. Especially with regards to the Cayman. Since i have not spent much time on the track in a Cayman, knowing the difference between it and the 911 is very useful.

I have always been taught to do all the braking before the corner as was mentioned. i look forward to trying out the 'Cayman method' the next time I'm out there. My uncle has a Cayman with some Ruf modifications done to it. Maybe I can convince him to let me do a few laps to try this alternate method.

Thanks for the great advice.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts