Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Crusin worlds most isolated city
3,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just come back from the Workshop for my initial Dyno run now that the car is run in.

Unfortunately we have run into some problems in trying to do this with the gen 2 car. When tested, the car would go into a shutdown protection mode when the RPM goes above about 4000RPM. The reason is these cars use the new Siemens ECU which has a new "feature" that when the front wheels are not rotating and the rear ones are, it goes into engine shutdown mode. Older generation cars do not do this as everbody knows.
I know of no way to bypass this restriction.

I did read that someone managed to do a Dyno on a PDK gen 2 car by using a 4WD Inertia based Dyno with mechanicaly linked front and rear drums. However, these Dynos are not so accurate and none exist in this country for that reason.

So at this stage unless someone can tell me how to overcome this restriction within the next 12 hours or so I will have to proceed with the install without doing any before or after Dynos, unfortunately :(:(

BTW, the Technician says the new BMW cars do exactly the same thing and you cant dyno them either.

So if anyone knows how to "fix" this, please post here ASAP. Thanks!

·
3,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, it made no difference.

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
I've heard of the problems with BMW's and people getting incomplete dynos because of the cut out.

Have you tried contacting Dyno Dynamics directly, I mean they are the daddies of Dyno's and Australian.

·
3,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dune:
Unfortunately Im running out of time because I only have an instal window of tomorrow and my car is now sitting on the Dyno looking useless. I thought it was a DD Dyno but its not, its some other brand, -dont recall what.
I called Porsche service and they have no idea either.
It does not look like Durametics can disable/bypass this either.

·
Registered
394 Posts
This is a really strange issue to have! :( I have a 135i track car that is heavily modded and dynoed many many times on DD. Never had any issue besides having xmas lights on the dash. I believe I have the Siemens ECU. Would you like to speak to the guys who look after my car in the morning to see if they have ever encountered any issue and know how to get around it?

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Perhaps disconnect PSM completely by removing the fuse?? Or the yaw sensor?!

·
3,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is a really strange issue to have! :( I have a 135i track car that is heavily modded and dynoed many many times on DD. Never had any issue besides having xmas lights on the dash. I believe I have the Siemens ECU. Would you like to speak to the guys who look after my car in the morning to see if they have ever encountered any issue and know how to get around it?
Older cars are ok, its just the really new cars with this "feature" that have the problem.

Perhaps disconnect PSM completely by removing the fuse?? Or the yaw sensor?!
Maybe thats an idea, but I dont really want to mess things up. Better if somebody knows first hand what to do.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Older cars are ok, its just the really new cars with this "feature" that have the problem.
Andrew @ SouthernBM dyno new BMW's all the time as they are very much in the forefront of BMW mod scene. Mine is a 2008 so maybe it is the older Bosch unit. I do know that they were going with the Siemens ECU just wasn't sure if mine is Bosch or Siemens.

Anyway, give Andrew a call in the morning if you don't have any other solution. SouthernBM's number is 03-95554049. Just let him know Wayne asked you to give him a call.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Didn't the member who was given a Capristo exhaust dyno his manual car? I seem to remember he had some undisclosed issues as well. Wondering if it's the same problem or if he was able to overcome his problems.

·
3,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
4by4, did you get this sorted out? I am anxious to hear what the Capristo did to the power!
Its all installed now and no Dyno unfortunately :( .
Due to the timing schedule of everthing I could not mess about with this :( .

Something else we discovered... try reving the engine way up in netural and see what happens.

You get some really good downshift burbles with this system :) .

I did find about a bit more info about bypassing this DYNO issue, but I dont have any concrete info that I can share just yet.

·
Registered
394 Posts
That's a shame, but please tell us how it sounds anyway, and if there is any seat in the pants difference in power!

·
3,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Update:

One method that works on DFIs is to use a 4WD Inertia based Dyno with mechanicaly linked front and rear drums. None of these Dynos exist in the country.

The other method which I just found out about is to use a Bosch ODB2 tuning system which has the capability to disable this restriction. However I cant find anyone with one of these here [yet].

A special version of ECU flash (if it existed) would be able to "fix" this.

Meanwhile I will just have to plod along.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts